Have you heard about Canadas 150th Birthday Party?

tay
Recently released federal spending figures show advertising promoting Canada's 150th birthday — two years from now — has cost nearly $12 million, so far.

Canada 150 ad costs rising but no plans in sight - Politics - CBC News

Blackleaf
Quote:

Have you heard about Canadas 150th Birthday Party?

Nope.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Harper would make a great Dipper.

Nuggler
After they cut the cake we all sit around and apologize

Walter
+1 / -1
Why can't we celebrate?

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
Too bad we can't have a Centennial-and-a-half train on a transcontinental railroad....

Walter
+1 / -1
Answering the thread question, "Yes, I have. I have seen signage when visiting Ottawa recently."

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Too bad we can't have a Centennial-and-a-half train on a transcontinental railroad....

Only Liberals can do that.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
12 mil will just about set up the bureaucracy necessary to run the program. Double that to pay for their severance when the party is over and pay out the 20 year leases on their temporary office space.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Only Liberals can do that.

With an election coming up, Liberals may get in - but even they can't get the track down in time

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Put tires on the train and run it down the Trans Canada Hwy.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
1967 had the Caravan too. I didn't find it as interesting.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Why can't we celebrate?

The real question is why can't we celebrate without the government spending ridiculous amounts of money at it...and running a deficit to boot. Do you like to see the government borrow money to throw parties?

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

The real question is why can't we celebrate without the government spending ridiculous amounts of money at it...and running a deficit to boot. Do you like to see the government borrow money to throw parties?

Practicing for the lib vote.

Locutus
+1
vs the 1,000 million wynne and her gang fukked us with for the contract cancellation on the gas plant...who cares.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Good thing Ontario gets equalization payments so we can share your pain.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

vs the 1,000 million wynne and her gang fukked us with for the contract cancellation on the gas plant...who cares.

You sound like that US senator who said 1 billion here in 1 billion there pretty soon it adds up to some serious money

Locutus
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

You sound like that US senator who said 1 billion here in 1 billion there pretty soon it adds up to some serious money

s'all relative slick.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

s'all relative slick.

To you maybe but I understand how difficult it must be for you

personal touch
Bloc Québécois
huge amount money is put into advertising,millions and millions
this advertising comes in different forms,commissioned publications,posters,pamphlets,10 % mail outs,there is no accountability on publications or money placed on publications of different means,who prints these and how much money is a big secret,the printing is contracted out.
in my work place, the propaganda posters are of ridiculous content and questions are asked such as ,why would we spend money on such ridiculous propoganda?sometimes the question is asked if money laundering is part of the reasoning for such foolish propoganda,sometimes the question of who is making the money on these publications which noone reads?
as of recent we have these "clouds"of information of "hand washing" at work, they are offensive and most of them have ended up in the garbage,., I bet the alberta government has spent a trillion dollars on publications of hand washing.These publications which demonstrate how our employer views our ignorance is more then offensive.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
nope, I've seen bupkis and I want to keep it that way...it's two years from now for gawd sake

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Hell.... I remember "Plan your project now for the 1967 Centennial" ads on both TV channels ... in 1965

Sal
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Hell.... I remember "Plan your project now for the 1967 Centennial" ads on both TV channels ... in 1965

we have no money for this stuff...this is the mentality of those who haven't a clue how the average guy lives

lone wolf
Free Thinker
...as long as they're not charging a whole lot of admission....

Right! What are the chances.....

Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
I wonder if Jeremiah Johnson ever made it to Canada.

relic
Free Thinker
How about Big Joe Mufferaw,?

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+1
Feed for the gristmill, first we do celebrate there will be those critical of cost
God help us if someone was to have fun. If we don't celebrate then Harper is
a cheap SOB. If we spend too much, and how much is too much I don't know
the Tax Payers Federation will take him to task for spending the money.
If we celebrate across the country and we don't spend enough on fireworks
the general public will howl like hell. Canada means a great fireworks display
doesn't it? Now depending on who is in power they will be accused of partisan
politics and if they include everyone no one will be happy.
Then there is another question. We as Canadians don't have to waive the flag
every time we turn around. Until recently we didn't have to scour the hills for
Hero's and we didn't feel the need to mourn every adverse event. Alas our
neighbors to the South need to waive the flag everyday, they need to mourn and
yes they are in constant need of Hero's. Community hero's, regional hero's and
national hero's so we better have some too. Yup Americans need to celebrate so
we need to celebrate.
Unfortunately it doesn't matter whether we celebrate the bloody event or not
together on different sides and those who are ambivalent we will collectively ruin
it for everyone. In fact we will bitch and complain and then celebrate and ask.
Wasn't it a wonderful event we collectively ruined?
What side am I on? I will stay neutral and be pleasantly amused no matter what the
outcome. We are going to spend money, we are going to boast hype and all will
engage to some degree so what the hell difference does it make?

tay
Conservative ridings got most of Canada 150 cash

Conservative ridings disproportionately benefited from an election year fund aimed at improving community infrastructure such as parks and recreation centres, a Star analysis has found.

New data shows ridings won by the Conservatives in 2011 received 68.6 per cent of the roughly $106 million paid out in the first year of the Canada 150 community infrastructure program between June 2015 and June 2016.

Much of that money, about $46 million, was spent in seat-rich Ontario. British Columbia, a battleground in the last election, took in $17.5 million while the Conservative heartland of Alberta received $15.2 million.

Quebec, Canada’s second most populous province, had received only $3.7 million for projects as of June.

The Canada 150 community infrastructure program was announced by former prime minister Stephen Harper in the months leading up to the 2015 federal election. In May 2015, Harper told a crowd that the fund would benefit some 1,800 smaller-scale renovations and upgrades.

At the time, both the opposition New Democrats and Liberals called the program a “slush fund” for good news announcements leading up to the election. News releases from that summer touted dozens of announcements about upgrades to everything from schools to theatres to skating rinks.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-150-cash.html

spaminator
Giant rubber ducky, you're the one | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Conservative ridings got most of Canada 150 cash

Conservative ridings as where most of the people who give a shyte about Canada's history live, anyway.

DaSleeper
Most of Northern Ontario is NDP