Have you heard about Canadas 150th Birthday Party?

darkbeaver
Republican
We better get some fukking cake next time. haha

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Most of Northern Ontario is NDP

Do they give a shyte about Canada 150?

petros
They don't consider themselves Canadian.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

They don't consider themselves Canadian.

They like the good parts that Canada provides, though.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Canada 150 is a celebration of Indigenous genocide

This year, the federal government plans to spend half a billion dollars on events marking Canada's 150th anniversary, prompting a great deal of debate about its historical treatment of Indigenous peoples. The majority of Canadians don't have all the facts about that, while First Nations continue to live the crisis-level effects of that legacy. Perhaps Canada should cancel its celebrations and undertake the hard work necessary to make amends.

For many Indigenous peoples on Turtle Island (North America), it's difficult to imagine Prime Minister Justin Trudeau – who has said that "no relationship is more important to Canada than the one with Indigenous peoples" – celebrating the last 150 years of brutal colonization and the foundation of what is now known as Canada.
This year, the federal government plans to spend half a billion dollars on events marking Canada's 150th anniversary. Meanwhile, essential social services for First Nations people to alleviate crisis-level socio-economic conditions go chronically underfunded. Not only is Canada refusing to share the bounty of its own piracy; it's using that same bounty to celebrate its good fortune. Arguably, every firework, hot dog and piece of birthday cake in Canada's 150th celebration will be paid for by the genocide of Indigenous peoples and cultures.

nowtoronto.com/news/canada-s-...wwyUUk.twitter (external - login to view)

IdRatherBeSkiing
Excellent. More reason to celebrate.

Seriously, do you throw a wet towel on anybody being happy Cliffy?

Cliffy
Free Thinker

Danbones
Free Thinker
hey I'm half native and that's My beach!

White_Unifier
+2
#39  Top Rated Post
Does this mean that Canadians are so ignorant of how to enjoy themselves that they need wads of cash of government asistance to help us have fun?

Sad! really sad!

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by White_UnifierView Post

Does this mean that Canadians are so ignorant of how to enjoy themselves that they need wads of cash of government asistance to help us have fun?

Sad! really sad!

Money well spent on phony patriotism to keep the sheeple coming back for more....

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Money well spent on phony patriotism to keep the sheeple coming back for more....

'Partriotism' is such an abused word today. I consider myself a patriot but not a nationalist. Unfortunately many who call themselves patriots are not patriots at all but are merely confusing it with nationalism.

Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
I never knew much about Canada other than Dudley Doright, Recently I did learn of the under ground railroad.

spaminator
Great celebrations planned for Canada's 150th birthday | Canada | Travel | Toron

spaminator
New $10 bank note unveiled to celebrate Canada

spaminator
Paddlers get creative for Float Your Fanny Down the Ganny in Port Hope, Ont. | P

Murphy
Conservative
Those of you that were around in 1967 will remember Bobby Gimby's popular song, Ca-Na-Da!

C'est ici, la. Pork chop, cowlips.

Last edited by Murphy; 2 weeks ago at 12:42 PM..

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
Too funny, we are a lot of whiners at times. We complain at every level at the
money spent on Olympics, on National Holidays and Provincial celebrations.
In the same breath we bitch about the fact some communities don't have a big
enough fireworks display on several occasions like Canada Day or New Year
events.. For a 150 Birthday if we spend a mere 12 mill it will be considered a
cheap event it will likely cost three times that and that will still be less than some
corporate executives bonus

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Too funny, we are a lot of whiners at times. We complain at every level at the
money spent on Olympics, on National Holidays and Provincial celebrations.
In the same breath we bitch about the fact some communities don't have a big
enough fireworks display on several occasions like Canada Day or New Year
events.. For a 150 Birthday if we spend a mere 12 mill it will be considered a
cheap event it will likely cost three times that and that will still be less than some
corporate executives bonus

Corporate bonus's are the corporations business , how the government of Canada spends money is every ones business . I mean talking about corporate bonuses how about public performance bonuses . Like the geniuses that set up the Phoenix Payroll System getting bonuses well employees were not getting their regular pay cheque .
How do you like those millions of your tax dollars paying bonuses for incompetence ?

spaminator
Prince Charles, Camilla to visit in time for Canada 150 celebration | Canada | N

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Waahoo! They're going to do a two day tour of the second largest country on Earth!

Hopefully, Canadians will reciprocate with contempt and indifference for Charles and his crown when the Queen passes away.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
Heritage Minister Takes Heat For Comments On Queen's Health (external - login to view)

Quote:

Heritage Minister Melanie Joly is facing criticism after claiming that the Queen doesn't have the health "capacity" to travel to Canada.
On CTV's "Power Play," Joly was asked if there's a possibility that the monarch will accompany Prince Charles during his visit to Canada this summer.

"I understand that, of course, the Queen is ill," Joly said during the live interview on Tuesday evening, then quickly clarified. "Well, not necessarily ill, but doesn't have the capacity, the health, to come to Canada."
Joly faced ire online for commenting publicly on the 90-year-old Queen's health — a matter the Royal family, and members of the Privy Council of Canada, almost never discuss.
Twitter users accused the Liberal minister of overstepping, and possibly upsetting the British monarchy.

There is more if you click the link

Tecumsehsbones
Quote:

Twitter users accused the Liberal minister of overstepping, and possibly upsetting the British monarchy.

Poor cupcakes.

The Twits, I mean. I imagine the monarchy can handle the comments of a retarded Canadian after enduring the loss of an empire, three world wars, and Austin Powers.