Majority of Canadians support return of death penalty

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
A half-century has passed since the last person in Canada was executed, but a recent public opinion poll suggests Canadians are warming to the idea of a return to capital punishment.

The survey conducted by Angus Reid Public Opinion in partnership with the Toronto Star found that 63 per cent of the 1,002 Canadians surveyed across the country believe the death penalty is sometimes appropriate. Sixty-one per cent said capital punishment, which was abolished in Canada in 1976, is warranted for murder.

“I think people might be warming to the idea of having it as an option on the table, if anything just as a deterrent,” said Jaideep Mukerji of Angus Reid.

But Mukerji said the poll also reveals that it is “not a black and white” issue for many Canadians. Given the choice of supporting the death penalty or life imprisonment, 50 per cent chose the latter, the survey found.

“We ask the question in two ways — do you support or oppose the death penalty — and in that context people really do support it,” he said. But when the option of life imprisonment is introduced as an option for those convicted of murder, “50 per cent actually say they would prefer life in prison.”

The debate over restoring the death penalty took on new life last week when Conservative Senator Pierre Hugues-Boisvenu suggested serial murderers should be given a rope to hang themselves in prison. In June 2002, the senator’s daughter Julie was kidnapped, raped and murdered. Boisvenu later withdraw his remark.

The Angus Reid online survey found that Canadians’ views on the death penalty differ greatly according to political allegiance and region. The poll was conducted Feb. 2 and 3 with a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 per cent, 19 times out of 20.

In British Columbia and Alberta, about seven in 10 support the return of the death penalty; six in 10 Ontarians, or 62 per cent, agree.

The most opposition was in Quebec, with about 45 per cent against the return of capital punishment. Some 32 per cent in Ontario and 24 per cent in British Columbia were also opposed.

“These respondents (about 75 per cent) are primarily concerned over the possibility of wrongful convictions leading to executions, but most (54 per cent) also feel that even if a convicted murderer has taken a life it is wrong to take the murderer’s own life as punishment,” the survey results stated.

The poll found that respondents who voted Conservative in the 2011 federal election were more likely to regard the death penalty as “always” or “sometimes” appropriate while the majority of those who vote Liberal, Bloc Québécois or Green were opposed to the return of the death penalty. NDP supporters were divided on the question.

Last year, Angus Reid Public Opinion asked similar questions in the United States and Britain and found that the majority of respondents in both countries supported the continuation or the return of the death penalty.

Majority of Canadians support return of death penalty, poll finds | Toronto Star

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
As somebody that, generally speaking, thinks the government screws up just about everything it touches, I can't understand why anybody would want to give it the power to kill it's citizens.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Vengeance as opposed to justice always wins out in a gut reaction poll, absent any serious debate or longer term consideration. The Death Penalty has always been about revenge.

The Death Penalty even in the States has been in serious decline for decades. It is now applied only in cases that raise public outrage.. multiple, child, police murders and those done in commission of another serious crime such as rape or kidnapping.

And even then it is applied sporadically, almost randomly, which undermines any sense of equal justice before the law. They take decades to wind their way through the courts which makes the relationship between the crime and punishment ever more remote.

The only possible justification for the Death Penalty is that it deters crime. A claim that can be dismissed absolutely by comparing jurisdictions that do not have capital punishment and those that do. You'll almost always find nations and states that do not employ it have lower homicide rates, which indicates the penalty might tend to brutalize.. rather than placate communities.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I suppose I could support if, in the case it is detemrined that an innocent man was convicted and executed, the judge swings. It only seems fair that way. After all, what is the death penalty if not premeditated homicde?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
A half-century has passed since the last person in Canada was executed, but a recent public opinion poll suggests Canadians are warming to the idea of a return to capital punishment.

Well I sure as hell would not be one of them. Guy Paul Morin was tried twice and convicted once in my hometown for a crime generally considered to be a death penalty case in jurisdictions that have capital punishment.

He was 100% innocent.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I view it as removing vermin from the gene pool. No reason why taxpayers should have to fork out for someone like Bernardo or Olson to stay in club fed. If their families want to pay for life in prison instead of a short drop on a rope let them.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I suppose I could support if, in the case it is detemrined that an innocent man was convicted and executed, the judge swings. It only seems fair that way. After all, what is the death penalty if not premeditated homicde?
not just the judge...the prosecuters and the investigators who were lax or pressured ...they die too

otherwise...I don't know who these Canadians are who would support this but they need to show me some proof that this will make society a better place to live because to me it seems like ten steps back into the dark age

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
not just the judge...the prosecuters and the investigators who were lax or pressured ...they die too

otherwise...I don't know who these Canadians are who would support this but they need to show me some proof that this will make society a better place to live because to me it seems like ten steps back into the dark age

If it served any benefit, I'd sure like to see it. I've seen studies where the cost of putting somebody to death is more than life in prison due to endless appeals. I know there are some folks that like the idea of doing away with appeals but I think the interest of the person should trump the interest if the state.

Some argue that it's a deterrent but comparing the murder rates in places that have and don't have capital punishment, I don't see it. In fact, the only argument I can see in favour of capital punishment is an emotional one and that is vengeance.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
If it served any benefit, I'd sure like to see it. I've seen studies where the cost of putting somebody to death is more than life in prison due to endless appeals. I know there are some folks that like the idea of doing away with appeals but I think the interest of the person should trump the interest if the state.

Some argue that it's a deterrent but comparing the murder rates in places that have and don't have capital punishment, I don't see it. In fact, the only argument I can see in favour of capital punishment is an emotional one and that is vengeance.
it's too expensive and the thought that an innocent could die, has died is barbaric

and I agree it's all emotion and vengeance...it does nothing for society save set it back

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
it's too expensive and the thought that an innocent could die, has died is barbaric

and I agree it's all emotion and vengeance...it does nothing for society save set it back

I've seen the justice system from three different sides on three separate occasions. When I was 18, I was charged with a crime I didn't commit. I've been the victim of a violent crime and I was served a subpoena to testify against another individual. On all three occasions, I can say it was nothing short of a gong show. The time I was required to testify, they got the wrong witness. I knew nothing about the case. I have a common name and they got the wrong guy. When they realized this, they told me to come to court anyway. The Crown Prosecutor said, "it looks good if we have a witness". The witness was supposed to have told the cops where this individual had stashed the stolen goods. It came out in court that he was caught coming out of a grocery store with a package of sausage in his jacket. Made no sense to me. I have no respect for the legal system. It's not about finding the truth.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver

Someone has to have accountability. That's the problem--if someone commits a horrendous crime like taking the life of anotehr with premeditation, then he rides the lightning. But, if it turns out the guy was innocent, the system just shrugs its shoulders and everybody walks away scot-free--despite the fact they just killed an innocent man with premeditation.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Throw in the CrownP's who withholds evidence, and any other officials including witnesses who perjured themselves, a forfeiture of all their assets that would be provided to the family of the innocent person then I am in.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Is that solution for all who can't afford a Lawyer? Set a fine for whacking an innocent and no further action possible. If the prisons get overfull can severe time be changed into a death things so the bed is freed up for that guy with outstanding parking tickets?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I view it as removing vermin from the gene pool. No reason why taxpayers should have to fork out for someone like Bernardo or Olson to stay in club fed. If their families want to pay for life in prison instead of a short drop on a rope let them.

True, but what would your opinion be if you jerked off on your car's seat, as usual, left the door unlocked, and went into Mac''s to buy or beg a coffee. In the meantime, a woman, being pursued by a man, opens your car door, grabs for purchase, but is pulled out by a Ted Bundy (eg.), and killed................She grabbed your gearshift..........your DNA is on her hands............Good luck jerkoff............What was that? A gang bang? screams the detective............I NEVER!!! , says you..................."Sure, they all say that." You like cake? I'll bring you some on your birthday - for the next 25 years.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
This doesn't bode well for the intelligence of the country does it? Well neither did the conservatives winning a majority.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
For those seeking vengence life behind bars must be hell, while a swift death at an experts hand must be heaven. It's very hard to determine how the convicted read their sentence. I'd prefer the rope and consider myself lucky to swing.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The poll, when the proper choices are given, doesn't show the majority supports capital punishment. Nice try though.