Canadian Blood Services workers ready to strike in Ontario

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
because mad 'smokey' says so...:lol:

Ontarians may not be able to donate blood to those in need in the new year.

Canadian Blood Services workers in Ontario are poised to strike by Jan. 8 if the management doesn't back down from concessions that "pose a serious risk to the future safety of the blood system," the Ontario Public Service Employees Union said in a release Tuesday.

"If we learned anything from the blood contamination tragedy of a quarter century ago, it's that the safety and security of the blood supply system must be bullet proof," OPSEU president Warren "Smokey" Thomas said.

Thomas said the federally-run non-profit wants to cut expenditures by $100 million by laying off full-time workers for lower-cost part-time employees and speeding up the blood collection process.

"On behalf of all Canadians, it's a risk we simply cannot accept nor should accept," Thomas said.

QMI Agency has asked Canadian Blood Services for comment.

Sun News : Canadian Blood Services workers ready to strike in Ontario

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well knowing what cuts and such would be nice to know. Which cuts and what impact?
The union must have this ready to go to the public by now.

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
Yep, brilliant reply.
I bet you passed rocket science, with honors. Right?

Well, if you need it explained....

Full time positions are filled by better qualified, more dedicated people than are part time positions. How do you not see that will create exposure to dangerous mistakes with public safety implications?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Full time positions are filled by better qualified, more dedicated people than are part time positions. How do you not see that will create exposure to dangerous mistakes with public safety implications?

Really - Tons of nurses and Lab techs work part time.

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
An honest man, making an honest dollar is the subject of your ridicule.
Would you want a guy like this to have influence over what is safe to be injected into your body? I think you get what you pay for and I value my safety, even if others don't.
Especially those with an anti Union bias ;)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Solidarity brothers and sisters..........Grab em by the nuts and squeeze...............

Go on strike till hell freezes, then go skating.

Just don't get hurt and need a transfusion eh.

Kudos to all you union busters out there. Hope your part time worker can tell type O from type A................eh. I know it'
s written on the label, but that won't help them.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

That's funny.

Would you want a guy like this to have influence over what is safe to be injected into your body? I think you get what you pay for and I value my safety, even if others don't.
Especially those with an anti Union bias ;)
How do you know he isn't working his way through med school?

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
That's funny.

How do you know he isn't working his way through med school?
Now, that's funny,
Nobody with the ambition to get through med school would waste any effort at Wal-mart. This is capitalist fantasy lore at it's finest.

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
Helps to pay the tuition and lighten the student debt.

BTW: My daughter worked her way through nursing at Walmart

Nothing against but there is a significant difference between med school and nursing.
You should be very proud of your daughter and her accomplishment, it is well deserved. I cannot concede that the employment offered by the minimum wage sectors of the economy is anything to value in this country., however. They exist to make a very few, very rich.