Stephen Harper pays back Michaelle Jean

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
When Canada needed her the most, she betrayed us miserably.................

For many Canadians who worry about Stephen Harper's approach to parliamentary democracy, one of the low points came in December 2008.

That's when he asked then governor-general Michaëlle Jean to shut down the House of Commons when it appeared that a majority of MPs were prepared to back a new coalition government led by then Liberal leader Stéphane Dion.

The plan called for NDP MPs, including then leader Jack Layton, to join cabinet; Bloc Québécois MPs were prepared to keep the coalition in power in any votes that came before Parliament.

At the time, Harper and his ministers falsely characterized the plan as a "coup d'état", even though this is how parliamentary democracy works in other countries.

In the end, Jean approved the prime minister's very questionable request to suspend Parliament, staving off the defeat of Harper's government in the House.

Since then, Harper has demonstrated a stunning disregard for parliamentary democracy by introducing omnibus bills that alter dozens of pieces of legislation at a time.

As John Ralston Saul wrote in his new book The Comeback, bills C-38 and C-45 amended 133 "largely unrelated laws" in 2012 with "very little debate".

Saul's long-time partner and Jean's predecessor at Rideau Hall, former governor general Adrienne Clarkson, has never spoken publicly about how she would have handled the prorogation crisis in 2008.

However in an interview with the Georgia Straight in 2011, Clarkson said that she has given a great deal of thought about what the boundaries are for a governor general in that position.

“I wrote it all down and put it in my papers for the National Archives,” Clarkson said at the time. “They can be opened in 30 years, so there is a lot of material there for a PhD thesis.”

Jean's decision to let Harper get away with essentially padlocking Parliament emboldened him to become even more aggressively antidemocratic after that point.

Today, Jean was named secretary-general of la Francophonie, making her the first Canadian to head the organization of French-speaking countries.

The former CBC Radio-Canada broadcaster and immigrant from Haiti now has a platform to speak about the Harper government's international initiatives on maternal health. No wonder the prime minister is crowing about her appointment.

Michaelle Jean appointed to head la Francophonie after saving Stephen Harper's butt in 2008 | Georgia Straight, Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

For many Canadians who worry about Stephen Harper's approach to parliamentary democracy, one of the low points came in December 2008.

That's when he asked then governor-general Michaëlle Jean to shut down the House of Commons when it appeared that a majority of MPs were prepared to back a new coalition government led by then Liberal leader Stéphane Dion.

The plan called for NDP MPs, including then leader Jack Layton, to join cabinet; Bloc Québécois MPs were prepared to keep the coalition in power in any votes that came before Parliament.

At the time, Harper and his ministers falsely characterized the plan as a "coup d'état", even though this is how parliamentary democracy works in other countries.

In the end, Jean approved the prime minister's very questionable request to suspend Parliament, staving off the defeat of Harper's government in the House.

Since then, Harper has demonstrated a stunning disregard for parliamentary democracy by introducing omnibus bills that alter dozens of pieces of legislation at a time.

As John Ralston Saul wrote in his new book The Comeback, bills C-38 and C-45 amended 133 "largely unrelated laws" in 2012 with "very little debate".

Saul's long-time partner and Jean's predecessor at Rideau Hall, former governor general Adrienne Clarkson, has never spoken publicly about how she would have handled the prorogation crisis in 2008.

However in an interview with the Georgia Straight in 2011, Clarkson said that she has given a great deal of thought about what the boundaries are for a governor general in that position.

“I wrote it all down and put it in my papers for the National Archives,” Clarkson said at the time. “They can be opened in 30 years, so there is a lot of material there for a PhD thesis.”

Jean's decision to let Harper get away with essentially padlocking Parliament emboldened him to become even more aggressively antidemocratic after that point.

Today, Jean was named secretary-general of la Francophonie, making her the first Canadian to head the organization of French-speaking countries.

The former CBC Radio-Canada broadcaster and immigrant from Haiti now has a platform to speak about the Harper government's international initiatives on maternal health. No wonder the prime minister is crowing about her appointment.

Michaelle Jean appointed to head la Francophonie after saving Stephen Harper's butt in 2008 | Georgia Straight, Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly

That was a difficult call, but it is simply not on for the Queen's representative to over rule the PM except in the direst circumstances.

Ms. Jean really had little choice......especially as the Libs/NDP had not only just lost an election (they did not run on any mention of coalition), but they also made a deal with the devil, otherwise known as the BQ.........who exist to destroy the nation.

That the people supported the PM was proven in the majority gov't they handed him 28 months later.

It is called democracy.....look it up.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Aahg! on his part it's just.......

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Trust a leftard rag to think that someone doing their job properly is a bad thing. How any true Canadian could even think about making a deal with separatists is beyond me.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Does that mean I have to choose a side in order to fool myself into believing I'm satisfied with the heifer dust? From the middle of the road both sides seem to do a lot of stupid things

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

OK

de·moc·ra·cy
dəˈmäkrəsē/
noun

a system of government in which a hereditary monarch's representative acquiesces all power to a single person ignoring the wishes of the electorate's representatives.

Oh wow, you're right. I never looked up democracy before.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
OK

de·moc·ra·cy
dəˈmäkrəsē/
noun

a system of government in which a hereditary monarch's representative acquiesces all power to a single person ignoring the wishes of the electorate's representatives.

Oh wow, you're right. I never looked up democracy before.

Is that sarcasm?? :)

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Certainly not. That is the exact system you are defending, which you described as a democracy. So upon looking up democracy I found out that you were right. That is what democracy means. I had no idea.
Was that double sarcasm? lol

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Certainly not. That is the exact system you are defending, which you described as a democracy. So upon looking up democracy I found out that you were right. That is what democracy means. I had no idea.

Ahhh...lovely bit of satire there......except Stephen Harper was not a single person. He was the leader of the party that enjoyed the support of more people than any other party.....he was the Prime Minister.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Never even heard of la Francophonie. I imagine it concists of Quebec, France and a bunch of backward African nations, so she should fit right in.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ahhh...lovely bit of satire there......except Stephen Harper was not a single person. He was the leader of the party that enjoyed the support of more people than any other party.....he was the Prime Minister.

I think your definition of democracy already has enough special pleading in it. You don't have to beg for anymore exceptions, especially not any that are straight up not how the system works. There are plenty of BS reasons you can use within the system itself.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
That was a difficult call, but it is simply not on for the Queen's representative to over rule the PM except in the direst circumstances.

Ms. Jean really had little choice......especially as the Libs/NDP had not only just lost an election (they did not run on any mention of coalition), but they also made a deal with the devil, otherwise known as the BQ.........who exist to destroy the nation.

That the people supported the PM was proven in the majority gov't they handed him 28 months later.

Trust a leftard rag to think that someone doing their job properly is a bad thing. How any true Canadian could even think about making a deal with separatists is beyond me.

Which Harper and the Conservatives have done many times as well with the BQ, but that seems to escape your arguments.

One specific thing to note:

Right-wing roadmap? Harper wrote of 'effective coalition' plan in 1996 article

But hey, do as I say, not as I do right?

It was fine for Harper to think of doing this to win power, but when faced with it, suddenly it's wrong.

Hypocrisy if you ask me.

Many times Harper and the Cons dealt with the Bloc against Paul Martin, and why not? They're a recognized and legitimate political party in Canada.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Which Harper and the Conservatives have done many times as well with the BQ, but that seems to escape your arguments.

One specific thing to note:

Right-wing roadmap? Harper wrote of 'effective coalition' plan in 1996 article

But hey, do as I say, not as I do right?

It was fine for Harper to think of doing this to win power, but when faced with it, suddenly it's wrong.

Hypocrisy if you ask me.

Many times Harper and the Cons dealt with the Bloc against Paul Martin, and why not? They're a recognized and legitimate political party in Canada.

You would be hard pressed to find anyone West of Toronto that considers the bloc a ligit party.