Preston Manning Smeared; Con Civil War Brewing ?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Sun TV fired first in what could be the beginning of a nasty civil war within Canada's conservative movement.

Preston Manning, founding father of the modern conservative movement and head of the right-wing Manning Centre, made a pair of surprising appearances recently in the Globe and Mail challenging Canadian conservatives to change their thinking on climate change.

Cue the outrage from Sun TV personalities.

Hosts Brian Lilley and Ezra Levant immediately set to work smearing Manning's reputation as a conservative.

video

VIDEO: Sun TV smears Preston Manning for speaking out on climate change | Press Progress

Bonus Round

Sun News Network host Ezra Levant has been ordered to pay $80,000 in damages for libeling a Saskatchewan lawyer in a series of “reckless” blog posts, according to a Superior Court decision released Thursday evening.

But I'm not surprised that he's reacting like that ghastly bully always does. Portraying himself as a martyr........

I’ve lost my lawsuit. But I’m going to appeal. Here’s why. | STAND with EZRA

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The Conservative party stands for everything Preston Manning stood against. True conservatives are not welcomed into that party.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
One of the reasons I am a conservative is that conservatives can have disagreements. Lefties have to walk in lockstep or thy are on the outs.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
There's nothing wrong with having disagreements.

In fact, I look forward to even MORE dissent and disagreement among the conbots lol

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The crew on Sun News remind me of Stephen Colbert. I can't tell if that newscast is serious or satirical.

whitedog

It''s our duty, vote.
Mar 13, 2006
One of the reasons I am a conservative is that conservatives can have disagreements. Lefties have to walk in lockstep or thy are on the outs.
I'm not sure about that. I find many conservatives are equally the same way, though they seem to have dropped the G Bush jr. mantra of "if you're not with us, your against us", they seem to replaced it with, "if you're not with us, you're an idiot". But to be fair, that apparent attitude is more likely to come from the reformists (aka Harper), and not the PC's.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Lefties are really good at tossing their own under the bus at a moment's notice.... They especially excel at dismissing their MPs from caucus, ruining their careers and lives without any due process

There's nothing wrong with having disagreements.

In fact, I look forward to even MORE dissent and disagreement among the conbots lol

You hear the great news Flossy?

Canada’s economy grows at 2.8% annual pace in third quarter

a full 25% higher than what the analysts projected!

It's lookin more and more that the Cons will be sweeping Justine back into being a substitute dwama teacher... Or was that bungee jumping coach?

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009

says the Walter guy in his perpetual echo-chamber! Please, please... don't give me any more reddies... as it simply showcases "we, you and I" can't have a disagreement without you going "ALL RED"! :lol:

You hear the great news Flossy?

sumthin bout $69 dollar oil (and dropping further) messing with Harper Conservative grand plans to showcase the economy as a part of the 2015 campaign... is that it?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
sumthin bout $69 dollar oil (and dropping further) messing with Harper Conservative grand plans to showcase the economy as a part of the 2015 campaign... is that it?

This is yet another area in which you have no clue, but unlike yourself, the public at large understands that the current prices of WTI and Brent are a function of OPEC.

All the same, despite the prices being low, the Canadian economy is a full 25% higher than the analysts projected.

You can read the good news here

... Don't forget to call your local Conservative MP and thank him/her for their excellent work!

whitedog

It''s our duty, vote.
Mar 13, 2006
This is yet another area in which you have no clue, but unlike yourself, the public at large understands that the current prices of WTI and Brent are a function of OPEC.

All the same, despite the prices being low, the Canadian economy is a full 25% higher than the analysts projected.

You can read the good news here

... Don't forget to call your local Conservative MP and thank him/her for their excellent work!
unfortunately for President Harper, its the forth quarter and likely 1st,2nd to come that are going to be showing the reverse trend. As for economic growth, you do realize that GDP is product/service * price. And CPI is now running at 2.4% so, with all things being equal, inflating prices with the same level of service and production would produce a rise in GDP - in other words, if El presidente's plan is demonstrate economic growth through inflation, then he should talk to BofC to keep interest rate low to drive inflation - oh, wait, he did. My bad.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
LOw interest rates and low fuel prices are good for the economy as a whole. Instead of buying little sh it box cars that manufacturers make no money on buyers will go up scale to something comfortable because they can now afford to drive. Might even buy something while they are out driving around.

whitedog

It''s our duty, vote.
Mar 13, 2006
And what would that good work entail, doing exactly as they are told?

It's positively amazing that some conservatives can jump on a singular (presumably) good stat and yell "see I told you so, Harpernomics is the Best" yet you forget that same wizard of world like fiscal domination has driven our debt load up by 30%. If the yanks were to raise their interest rates by 1 point, we here in Canada would have a choice (well we wouldn't - harper would) not raise the rate and watch foreign investment leave this land at the speed of light, or raise the rates and watch our interest payments jump by 10 billion. His fiscal nonsense has put us at risk.

Canbyte

Time Out
Feb 23, 2011
Southern Ontario
Memories...... that when on the hustings dear Preston said no to a car and house for leader of the opposition in Ottawa but accepted these entitlements once appointed.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Conservatives and liberals, they'll eat their own when one of the flock dares to say something that isn't official dogma. Of course they're going to lash out at Manning for daring to say anything but the party talking points on climate change.

The same thing happened in the US when Bill Maher dared to challenge liberals on their hypocrisy regarding liberal values and the mainstream views held in some Muslim countries.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm curious to see if such a civil war happens when Harper steps down as leader. Will the old Reform, Alliance/PC divisions pop up? It'll be interesting.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Interesting. I'm a conservative because I believe in conservative values. That's probably why you and I don't see eye to eye on many things.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Manning doesn't speak for conservatives - Ezra Levant

Canbyte

Time Out
Feb 23, 2011
Southern Ontario
I'm curious to see if such a civil war happens when Harper steps down as leader. Will the old Reform, Alliance/PC divisions pop up? It'll be interesting.
Don't be in such a hurry to count SH out. For and agin generally agree on this man being 'a sticker'.