Justin Trudeau’s island of Liberal castaways

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
This article must have been missed by our left-leaning friends...anyway, here we go:

Still, this Trudeau has been busy cultivating an image of himself as a politician with “sunny ways,” and it remains to be seen how he squares that story with his list of exiles. It’s probably safe to say that the weather on the island of Liberal castaways at the end of 2014 is anything but sunny.

OTTAWA—By now, it should be clear that it’s perilous to get on the wrong side of Justin Trudeau, at least for members of the Liberal leader’s own party.

Suspended MPs Scott Andrews and Massimo Pacetti, at the centre of the still-murky harassment case on Parliament Hill, are only the latest Liberals to be sent to Trudeau’s island of castaways.

In the past year, in fact, that island’s population has grown exponentially. A list of the most notable follows:

The senators formerly known as Liberals:

In retrospect, we can now see that Trudeau was establishing a pattern for 2014 when he walked into the Liberal Senate caucus without warning in January and dispatched 32 senators, metaphorically, to a political ice floe.

Unsentimentally, in an interview with me a couple of days later, Trudeau declared these longtime loyalists to be replaceable. “Yes, there are some good organizers who won’t be active anymore . . . But we’re getting in so many more that it’s not something I think about too much.”

Former candidates and MPs:

The leader’s open-nomination rule threw a cold bucket of water on the hopes of many veteran Liberals who expected to be welcomed with open arms into Team Trudeau just because they had served as MPs before or ran multiple times as candidates.

In March, this harsh truth was driven home when former Trinity-Spadina candidate Christine Innes learned that she would not be allowed to run in the June byelection. The reason for Innes’s ouster is at the centre now of a legal dispute — Trudeau’s officials allege that her campaign team, namely her husband, former MP Tony Ianno, was behaving badly. Innes alleges that she got the boot because she wouldn’t agree to a deal on where she was running in the 2015 election. Whatever the reason, Innes is out.

Former Toronto mayor Rob Ford:

OK, Ford probably wouldn’t call himself a Liberal, but in case anyone’s forgotten, that’s how the whole conversation started in the Commons foyer last May, when Trudeau summarily announced that pro-life Liberals would not be allowed to run as candidates in the next election.

Trudeau tossed off a remark about how Ford wasn’t welcome on his team, but then went on to explain, no joke, that people who were at odds with the Liberals’ embrace of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms would also not pass muster. Did that include people who were anti-abortion? “I have made it clear that future candidates need to be completely understanding that they will be expected to vote pro-choice on any bills,” he said.

more shiny pony island:

Justin Trudeau’s island of Liberal castaways: Delacourt | Toronto Star

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
This article must have been missed by our left-leaning friends...anyway, here we go:

Still, this Trudeau has been busy cultivating an image of himself as a politician with “sunny ways,” and it remains to be seen how he squares that story with his list of exiles. It’s probably safe to say that the weather on the island of Liberal castaways at the end of 2014 is anything but sunny.

OTTAWA—By now, it should be clear that it’s perilous to get on the wrong side of Justin Trudeau, at least for members of the Liberal leader’s own party.

Suspended MPs Scott Andrews and Massimo Pacetti, at the centre of the still-murky harassment case on Parliament Hill, are only the latest Liberals to be sent to Trudeau’s island of castaways.

In the past year, in fact, that island’s population has grown exponentially. A list of the most notable follows:

The senators formerly known as Liberals:

In retrospect, we can now see that Trudeau was establishing a pattern for 2014 when he walked into the Liberal Senate caucus without warning in January and dispatched 32 senators, metaphorically, to a political ice floe.

Unsentimentally, in an interview with me a couple of days later, Trudeau declared these longtime loyalists to be replaceable. “Yes, there are some good organizers who won’t be active anymore . . . But we’re getting in so many more that it’s not something I think about too much.”

Former candidates and MPs:

The leader’s open-nomination rule threw a cold bucket of water on the hopes of many veteran Liberals who expected to be welcomed with open arms into Team Trudeau just because they had served as MPs before or ran multiple times as candidates.

In March, this harsh truth was driven home when former Trinity-Spadina candidate Christine Innes learned that she would not be allowed to run in the June byelection. The reason for Innes’s ouster is at the centre now of a legal dispute — Trudeau’s officials allege that her campaign team, namely her husband, former MP Tony Ianno, was behaving badly. Innes alleges that she got the boot because she wouldn’t agree to a deal on where she was running in the 2015 election. Whatever the reason, Innes is out.

Former Toronto mayor Rob Ford:

OK, Ford probably wouldn’t call himself a Liberal, but in case anyone’s forgotten, that’s how the whole conversation started in the Commons foyer last May, when Trudeau summarily announced that pro-life Liberals would not be allowed to run as candidates in the next election.

Trudeau tossed off a remark about how Ford wasn’t welcome on his team, but then went on to explain, no joke, that people who were at odds with the Liberals’ embrace of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms would also not pass muster. Did that include people who were anti-abortion? “I have made it clear that future candidates need to be completely understanding that they will be expected to vote pro-choice on any bills,” he said.

more shiny pony island:

Justin Trudeau’s island of Liberal castaways: Delacourt | Toronto Star

"I have a certain admiration for China's dictatorship"

Just like Daddy.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
This article must have been missed by our left-leaning friends

I thought you knew by now that our Left-Leaning Friends only focus on Harper/Conservative Failures, while our Right-Leaning Friends focus on the Failures of everybody else. Neither focuses on the failures of their own preferred politics.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I thought you knew by now that our Left-Leaning Friends only focus on Harper/Conservative Failures, while our Right-Leaning Friends focus on the Failures of everybody else. Neither focuses on the failures of their own preferred politics.

Not true.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm not a big fan of Harper but I can't complain about most of what he and his crew have accomplished. The good far outweighs the bad.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well focusing towards the OP, there are a number of Liberals who've been tossed since Justin became leader, but I think one of the bigger factors as to why has to do with the crappy voting results the Liberals have had under Dion and Iggy... to the point of being tossed into 3rd place for the first time in like forever.

There are many reasons for that happening under Dion and Iggy, however I think the reason why Justin is having so many knee jerk reactions and quickly booting people all over the place has to do with him having this notion that he wants to look like he's "Doing Something" with the Liberal Party and trying to show that this is a New Liberal Party being changed for the better to warrant people voting for them again.

For the record, I'm no Liberal Supporter and feel they're just as bad as the Conservatives in regards to maintaining the status quo of a two-party election/solution (they're more interested in holding onto their position in the government than actually doing something for the nation and its people - Party First, Nation Second) and I'm not buying his posey actions and big boy talk.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

The truth: Harper negotiates trade deals with the Chinese.......and softly voices concern about human rights in China.

Trudeau expresses admiration for their dictatorship.

Can YOU tell the difference?

Personally, I wish China was isolated economically and contained militarily. One of the worst acts of the latter half of the 20th century was opening up China. But unfortunately, our squishy everybody-is-all-right society in the west no longer has the confidence nor the cojones necessary to say the truth.

The Chinese government is evil.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'm not a big fan of Harper but I can't complain about most of what he and his crew have accomplished. The good far outweighs the bad.

Basically my take on it as well.

The truth: Harper negotiates trade deals with the Chinese.......and softly voices concern about human rights in China.

Trudeau expresses admiration for their dictatorship.

Can YOU tell the difference?

Personally, I wish China was isolated economically and contained militarily. One of the worst acts of the latter half of the 20th century was opening up China. But unfortunately, our squishy everybody-is-all-right society in the west no longer has the confidence nor the cojones necessary to say the truth.

True but not selling to them is also shooting ourselves in the foot. If nothing else selling to China helps keep the US inline.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009

but... apparently... you and your guy Harper (while he, as you say, "softly voices concern about human rights in China.") have no qualms dealing with "evil"! None whatsoever, hey!