Canadian taxpayers paying $5 million for Harper's pot propaganda

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

In the latest taxpayer-funded mailout to all households in his Hastings-Prince Edward riding, our illustrious member of Parliament asks us if we are feeling safer these days. Daryl Kramp wants our feedback, postage-free (read: We are all paying for this with our taxes), sent back to him in Ottawa. Within that same mailout we are told exactly how the Harper Government has made us safer. So, naturally, our answers should be, "Yes. I feel safer. Thank God for Mr. Harper."

This is your classic political powerat-any-cost mentality in action. First you scare them ... Justin Trudeau wants your kid to be a drug addict. Then you tell them how you are going to save them ... we are building more jail cells. Canadians are still falling for it. With our own tax dollars we are being fed lies and misinformation on a daily basis. With our own money the lies are being repeated, and repeated, and repeated until they shape reality for those naive acolytes who form the permanent "Conservative base." The latest example of the misuse of our tax dollars in this way are the anti-marijuana ads purported to be from Health Canada. Harper will not tell us what we are paying to run them on television and the Internet but all estimates are at least $5 million. Harper's 30-second video ends with: "A message from the Government of Canada."

In case you have not noticed, an American-style 2015 election campaign has started and Conservatives are using our tax dollars for their own deceptive campaigning right now. Peterborough's recently convicted MP Dean Del Mastro is just a big chip off the old unethical block.

Unless you have been under a rock somewhere you will have that image of a glass tube brain embedded in your own brain. With sinister music playing in the background those glass brain-tubes get dirtier as the announcer tells us of all of the damage marijuana does to a teen's brain. "Loss of memory. Learning problems. Decreased IQ." Marijuana is 300 to 400 per cent stronger than your 1960's hippie's pot! Despite the fact this is simply untrue, think of it this way: humans soon figure out that you had better not drink the same volume of 40 per cent whiskey as you do four per cent beer or you will be very sorry in the morning. You may even be dead come morning because alcohol is a poison with no medical value. Despite the facts no one has ever died from using cannabis and that it offers proven medical value Harper has to make it look evil because Justin Trudeau and Elizabeth May would legalize, regulate and tax it.

Meanwhile, down south of the border last week, while ultra-conservative Republicans were winning more elections, the American people voted to legalize cannabis in Oregon, Alaska and Washington D.C. Add them to Washington state and Colorado, which have been reaping the benefits of increased tourism and taxation since legalizing over a year ago, while simultaneously watching drug dealers exit their states, and it is plain to see the people know the truth about this plant which any good evangelical Christian like Harper should thank his God for putting on our planet. Instead Harper chooses to keep telling the old American lies to Canadians.

Now we have the absurdity of British Columbia, renowned worldwide for its high quality BC Bud, sandwiched between Alaska and Washington state where marijuana is now legal. Here in Canada Harper has his RCMP throwing Canadians in jail, seizing their homes and other assets, destroying their families and in many cases shooting the family dog when they kick in the front door of a suspected grow op at 3 a.m., consequently generating huge costs for our justice system.

The truth is exactly the opposite of what Harper and Kramp keep telling us. They actually support organized crime. If you do not believe me here is a quote from JoaquÃ*n "El Chapo" Guzmán Loera the Mexican billionaire drug cartel kingpin whose empire is still run by his offspring and friends while he sits in a Mexican prison. "Whoever came up with this War On Drugs, I would like to kiss him on the lips and shake his hand and buy him dinner with caviar and champagne. The War On Drugs is the greatest thing that ever happened to me and all my closest friends. I couldn't have gotten so stinking rich without George Bush, G. Bush Jr., Ronald Reagan, even El Presidente Obama; none of them have the cajones to stand up to all the big money that wants to keep this stuff illegal. From the bottom of my heart I want to say gracias amigos, I owe my whole empire to you." El Chapo had been ranked by Forbes as the tenth richest man in Mexico. Since 2006 over 53,000 Mexicans have been killed as the cartels continue to fight for market share to this day.

TV has been called "The Opiate of the Masses." Canadians should turn off their mind-numbing televisions and turn on their own intellects. Do some research. Search for the truth on the issues facing us all. Start by googling US Patent No. 6,630,507 B1 dated October 7, 2003, which proves the United States government has legally locked in patent rights to the active ingredients in cannabis. I personally gave a hard copy of these patent papers to Mr. Kramp but it has done no good. He still votes exactly as Harper tells him to no matter what evidence he has available.

So do I feel safer Daryl? No.

But hey, thanks for asking.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
"Now we have the absurdity of British Columbia, renowned worldwide for its high quality BC Bud, sandwiched between Alaska and Washington state where marijuana is now legal. Here in Canada Harper has his RCMP throwing Canadians in jail, seizing their homes and other assets, destroying their families and in many cases shooting the family dog when they kick in the front door of a suspected grow op at 3 a.m., consequently generating huge costs for our justice system." Alaska and Washington state used to do the same until the potheads took over. Of course OUR liberals would never do this and never have, right flossie?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Alaska and Washington state used to do the same until the potheads took over. Of course OUR liberals would never do this and never have, right flossie?

What's truly frightening is that there is a select brand of ideologue that supports only the antithesis of the principles of a target that they do not support.

It's getting ridiculous

When I fish I keep the pickerel and throw all the walleye back in the lake.

They'll never catch that one Petros

whitedog

It''s our duty, vote.
Mar 13, 2006

In the latest taxpayer-funded mailout to all households in his Hastings-Prince Edward riding, our illustrious member of Parliament asks us if we are feeling safer these days. Daryl Kramp wants our feedback, postage-free (read: We are all paying for this with our taxes), sent back to him in Ottawa. Within that same mailout we are told exactly how the Harper Government has made us safer. So, naturally, our answers should be, "Yes. I feel safer. Thank God for Mr. Harper."

This is your classic political powerat-any-cost mentality in action. First you scare them ... Justin Trudeau wants your kid to be a drug addict. Then you tell them how you are going to save them ... we are building more jail cells. Canadians are still falling for it. With our own tax dollars we are being fed lies and misinformation on a daily basis. With our own money the lies are being repeated, and repeated, and repeated until they shape reality for those naive acolytes who form the permanent "Conservative base." The latest example of the misuse of our tax dollars in this way are the anti-marijuana ads purported to be from Health Canada. Harper will not tell us what we are paying to run them on television and the Internet but all estimates are at least $5 million. Harper's 30-second video ends with: "A message from the Government of Canada."

In case you have not noticed, an American-style 2015 election campaign has started and Conservatives are using our tax dollars for their own deceptive campaigning right now. Peterborough's recently convicted MP Dean Del Mastro is just a big chip off the old unethical block.

Unless you have been under a rock somewhere you will have that image of a glass tube brain embedded in your own brain. With sinister music playing in the background those glass brain-tubes get dirtier as the announcer tells us of all of the damage marijuana does to a teen's brain. "Loss of memory. Learning problems. Decreased IQ." Marijuana is 300 to 400 per cent stronger than your 1960's hippie's pot! Despite the fact this is simply untrue, think of it this way: humans soon figure out that you had better not drink the same volume of 40 per cent whiskey as you do four per cent beer or you will be very sorry in the morning. You may even be dead come morning because alcohol is a poison with no medical value. Despite the facts no one has ever died from using cannabis and that it offers proven medical value Harper has to make it look evil because Justin Trudeau and Elizabeth May would legalize, regulate and tax it.

Meanwhile, down south of the border last week, while ultra-conservative Republicans were winning more elections, the American people voted to legalize cannabis in Oregon, Alaska and Washington D.C. Add them to Washington state and Colorado, which have been reaping the benefits of increased tourism and taxation since legalizing over a year ago, while simultaneously watching drug dealers exit their states, and it is plain to see the people know the truth about this plant which any good evangelical Christian like Harper should thank his God for putting on our planet. Instead Harper chooses to keep telling the old American lies to Canadians.

Now we have the absurdity of British Columbia, renowned worldwide for its high quality BC Bud, sandwiched between Alaska and Washington state where marijuana is now legal. Here in Canada Harper has his RCMP throwing Canadians in jail, seizing their homes and other assets, destroying their families and in many cases shooting the family dog when they kick in the front door of a suspected grow op at 3 a.m., consequently generating huge costs for our justice system.

The truth is exactly the opposite of what Harper and Kramp keep telling us. They actually support organized crime. If you do not believe me here is a quote from JoaquÃ*n "El Chapo" Guzmán Loera the Mexican billionaire drug cartel kingpin whose empire is still run by his offspring and friends while he sits in a Mexican prison. "Whoever came up with this War On Drugs, I would like to kiss him on the lips and shake his hand and buy him dinner with caviar and champagne. The War On Drugs is the greatest thing that ever happened to me and all my closest friends. I couldn't have gotten so stinking rich without George Bush, G. Bush Jr., Ronald Reagan, even El Presidente Obama; none of them have the cajones to stand up to all the big money that wants to keep this stuff illegal. From the bottom of my heart I want to say gracias amigos, I owe my whole empire to you." El Chapo had been ranked by Forbes as the tenth richest man in Mexico. Since 2006 over 53,000 Mexicans have been killed as the cartels continue to fight for market share to this day.

TV has been called "The Opiate of the Masses." Canadians should turn off their mind-numbing televisions and turn on their own intellects. Do some research. Search for the truth on the issues facing us all. Start by googling US Patent No. 6,630,507 B1 dated October 7, 2003, which proves the United States government has legally locked in patent rights to the active ingredients in cannabis. I personally gave a hard copy of these patent papers to Mr. Kramp but it has done no good. He still votes exactly as Harper tells him to no matter what evidence he has available.

I don't know whether the info they publish in that particular commercial is fact or not. The war on drugs is, however, a stupid war. And why the reformist hairspray bubble head supports that war is beyond me, I thought he stood for a lessor invasive government?

And btw, taxpayers are not paying 5 million, we are still in a deficit, the banks lend them the money. The taxpayers have yet to pay.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Harper is doing the reefer maddness thing because he has some substantial backers with a vested interest in keeping pot illegal.

whitedog

It''s our duty, vote.
Mar 13, 2006
Yer old. It is a buck&1/4 now. Plus your first born. But only until they are no longer a tax deduction.
yeah, then they get the kid to file a suit for abandonment - couldn't resist. Lawyer "no we said, you don't get paid until we get paid"

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I certainly don't get it. There's more money and jobs to be had with pot being legal. Much better alternative than alcohol. If I had the choice between a pint of vodka / rum and a gram of weed, I'd go for the weed every time.

But I haven't had any for over 3 years now.... used to be my glass of wine after a long day to help unwind. Now I have to settle with an actual glass of wine which does sweet fuk all unless I have 2 or 3 & that just gets expensive.

Don't know what you got till it's gone I suppose.

Here in Australia, they have a big problem with people being addicted to "ICE" (Crystal Meth) and there's a big anti-drug war thing going on. It's obviously not working and yet many here still think of weed as being a really bad thing right up there with Meth, to the point that when there's a meth bust on a home, they tend to roll stock footage of cops hauling out pot plants from another location while warning about the dangers of a drug lab being next to you home and possibly blowing up..... can't say I ever heard of a marijuana grow-op exploding, but you never know I guess. :?

Back in Canada where I grew up and lived in NS, I could pretty much ask any joe blow if they know where I could get some weed and whether or not they smoked weed, they usually knew someone who could sell it and getting the stuff was almost as casual as buying some socks.... here in Australia you're made out to be (and start feeling) like you're trying to buy cocaine from Tony Montana & everything is all shady stuff you see in the movies.

I simply couldn't be hassled with all that crap and just never bothered since.

A joint would still be nice from time to time though. The only thing I got for unwinding is cigarettes these days as I'm not much of a drinker (never really was)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Harper is doing the reefer maddness thing because he has some substantial backers with a vested interest in keeping pot illegal.

Pot is going legal regardless of who has the helm. They are using the medical angle as a study to work out the kinks.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Pot is going legal regardless of who has the helm. They are using the medical angle as a study to work out the kinks.

Please hurry up with it my fellow Canadians... The US has started and if Canada starts pushing forward, I'm more than sure Australia will start to follow suit.

My video games are just not the same anymore... make a petition called "The Praxius Factor" and the main focal point towards helping me enjoy my video games and cool ranch Doritos like I used to. It's the most important element of the Legal Marijuana argument to date.

It may even make me less of a d*ck here in the Forums.

Think of the children.