All in favour of changing charter of rights...

whitedog

It''s our duty, vote.
Mar 13, 2006
I just thought I'd take a wee survey concerning this business of religious (albeit faulty) protection under the charter, section 2 (a) freedom of conscience and religion (for those unfamiliar with the wording).

Now how about we modify it to say (a) freedom of conscience and from religion. Its not a big change, doesn't discriminate on the basis of religion, it just improves the level of freedom for all to enjoy. It simply prevents any religion from interfering in other peoples lives. Is it too much to ask?

Would it be that much of annoyance for you that you could no longer impose your religious beliefs, whatever they may be, on me and fellow Canadians? To be sure, it wouldn't affect holidays - oh maybe their titles, but a holiday is a holiday. and lets be honest, it isn't the charter that protects Christmas, otherwise, we'd have a lot more days of "celebration" - I'm sure the Jews and Muslims have few.

How about being plain old nice to your fellow man, as opposed to trying to dominate your neighbour, and support this change?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I'm not religious but I would oppose it. You can believe what you want, religious or not. There is nothing forcing anyone to be religious.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I just thought I'd take a wee survey concerning this business of religious (albeit faulty) protection under the charter, section 2 (a) freedom of conscience and religion (for those unfamiliar with the wording).

Now how about we modify it to say (a) freedom of conscience and from religion. Its not a big change, doesn't discriminate on the basis of religion, it just improves the level of freedom for all to enjoy. It simply prevents any religion from interfering in other peoples lives. Is it too much to ask?

Would it be that much of annoyance for you that you could no longer impose your religious beliefs, whatever they may be, on me and fellow Canadians? To be sure, it wouldn't affect holidays - oh maybe their titles, but a holiday is a holiday. and lets be honest, it isn't the charter that protects Christmas, otherwise, we'd have a lot more days of "celebration" - I'm sure the Jews and Muslims have few.

How about being plain old nice to your fellow man, as opposed to trying to dominate your neighbour, and support this change?
You seem to be viewing a few holy days as being an infringement on your rights. You could always ignore them and then the millions that do like them are not sidelined so you feel a bit more comfy. You didn't mention the religious group that petitions changes that benefit themselves over other citizens, organizations like Jews have in large numbers in Canada and the US (for NA). I don't Christians or Muslims demanding our Gov bend to their will.

You do know your last line is Christian Law don't you, you can't blame God for there being law-breakers.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Imo, the phrase 'you do not have the right to impose...' Is a poor way to describe concepts of multicultural differences, religious tolerance, and peaceful coexistence.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
You don't have to use a section of the law to reduce the impact of religion. The charter of
rights is not there to please the people as in all the people all the time the charter is there
to protect the people from undo transgression against them or any one group.
The only statute in law that should be looked at is not from the charter bu from general law.
ALL Citizens and organizations should be compelled to obey the same laws of the land.
That means the law of the land trumps any special privilege of any group or faith.
If for example the churches or the service club receives money in partnerships with government
or tax money or tax concessions such as tax breaks or tax exemptions they should be subject
to the law. In addition they should not be permitted to aggressively attack any other group with
rights under the charter of rights

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I would reword it as per Article 2 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. In fact, if I had my way, I would make that Declaration the highest law of the land.

By the way, there a paper petition campsign going on mainly among Ottawa's Deaf and indigenous communities (though I signed it too) calling on the Ottawa City Council to adopt a resolution recommending that the House of Commons establish a Royal Commission on Religion and Language to recommend revisions to the Constitution so as to conform it to the principles of universal human tights declarations and of Reconciliation.

I know the person who wrote it and if you want I could send it to you in MS Word format and you could modify it accordingly.

The reason he addressed it to the City and not directly to Parliament is that he is not convinced that Parliament would support it withiut significant support from other governments too, so he started with the City.

It is a little for a petition but well worth the read. He even identifies the economic cost not only of the Separate School System but also of too many imposed common statutory holidays among other things.

If interested, let me know how I could send it to you in MS Word.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
tell me how religions in Canada "interfere" in peoples lives.

Would I also be free from athiests telling me how stupid I am for being Chirstian?

Now the atheists proselytize more than any evangelist.

BTW, according to a 2012 survey, 79% of Canadians believe in God

Poll: Most Canadians say religion not important, although majority believe in God | National Post

Want to throw out the Charter?? You've got my vote.

Want to start restricting freedoms??

Forget it.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You don't have to use a section of the law to reduce the impact of religion. The charter of
rights is not there to please the people as in all the people all the time the charter is there
to protect the people from undo transgression against them or any one group.
The only statute in law that should be looked at is not from the charter but from general law.
ALL Citizens and organizations should be compelled to obey the same laws of the land.
That means the law of the land trumps any special privilege of any group or faith.
If for example the churches or the service club receives money in partnerships with government
or tax money or tax concessions such as tax breaks or tax exemptions they should be subject
to the law. In addition they should not be permitted to aggressively attack any other group with
rights under the charter of rights

So do you support removing separate schools from the constitution? And what about special English and French privileges.

Don't forget, the Charter is a product of the residential school era which explains these unique English, French, and separate school privileges.

Now the atheists proselytize more than any evangelist.

BTW, according to a 2012 survey, 79% of Canadians believe in God

Poll: Most Canadians say religion not important, although majority believe in God | National Post

Want to throw out the Charter?? You've got my vote.

Want to start restricting freedoms??

Forget it.

Throw out the Charter or revise it?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'd rather see the Notwithstanding Clause go. Unfortunately the 'reason' it was put in probably still stands and enough people will oppose its removal to keep it in.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
They should re-mae the religious freedom clause "freedom to wear funny hats." because it always seems to come down to that. Sikhs want their turban. Muslims want their burqa veils and Rastafarains want their collander.

Freedom of religion should be removed because all it does is grant special rights to members of Big Religion.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The change i'd make to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms is to relegate it to a descriptive section in the Constitution, rather than one guaranteeing a legal remedy in the control of the courts.

All of the arguments against placing it as such in the Constitution have been realized. We have created a judicial tyranny.. without responsibility to the people of Canada through its elected representatives. The top court is filled with intellectual and moral mediocrities.. none more so than our Chief Justice, Bev MacLaughlin.. a radical 60s era feminist... and a fool totally out of her depth.

We have clogged the judicial system with inane 'human rights' cases that have fomented division and an attitude of assumed offense and separate and unequal privileges for 'victim's groups'. It has usurped Parliament's ability to create national unity and consensus.. taking into consideration the priorities and identity of the nation as whole.. rather than special interests.

A Charter of Rights and Freedoms of this sort is an ANATHEMA to a Parliamentary system.. which does not have the checks and balances to control it. It provides for a facile concept of rights, free of any commensurate responsibility to the community as as whole.

It was Pierre Trudeau's biggest blunder. It's been a disaster.

Last edited:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I can't think of any time that religion has interfered with my enjoyment of life or freedoms here in Canada. I understand that in the US is can be quite different.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I, like Twila have never felt my freedom was restricted in any way.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Nice to your fellow man. Reason why we have laws - does not work
You have freedom from religion- Para 2 a & b at a minimum covers that.
Are you being hounded to convert?
Is your employer discriminating against you due to a lack of religious belief?
Are you just trolling just for the fuk of it?
See - Nice does not work.

Constitution Acts, 1867 to 1982
Fundamental freedoms

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d) freedom of association.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Nice to your fellow man. Reason why we have laws - does not work
You have freedom from religion- Para 2 a & b at a minimum covers that.
Are you being hounded to convert?
Is your employer discriminating against you due to a lack of religious belief?
Are you just trolling just for the fuk of it?
See - Nice does not work.

Constitution Acts, 1867 to 1982
Fundamental freedoms

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d) freedom of association.

What these anti religious zealots want is to take away everyone's freedom to believe what ever they want. They want to be able to force their own "non" belief system on everyone.