Vancouver’s ‘gulag’

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Canada’s poorest neighbourhood refuses to get better despite $1M a day in social spending

VANCOUVER – In a campaign that has otherwise been pretty scant on details, mayoral challenger Kirk LaPointe rolled out at least one policy point that got some attention: If elected, the former journalist would initiate a crackdown on the drug dealers of the Downtown Eastside.

“The people that bother me the most are the predators down here, the people that are taking the few dollars that the residents have from them,” he said in an interview with Gastown Gazette, a vocal advocate against what it has called the neighbourhood’s “revolving door poverty policies.” “Those are the people that I think have to be rerouted out of the system.”

It’s fertile election terrain. Mayor Gregor Robertson was elected in 2008 with a vow to “end homelessness by 2015.” But it remains fertile electoral terrain – because after years of pumping the area with social housing units, not only has the homeless count actually gone up, but the new roofs seemed to have little effect on the area’s epidemic of drug use and on-street chaos.

It is among Canada’s greatest puzzles: Why has one of the country’s richest, most beautiful cities abandoned its historic centre to scenes of abject misery—even as it absorbs $1 million a day in social spending?

more

Vancouver’s ‘gulag’: Canada’s poorest neighbourhood refuses to get better despite $1M a day in social spending

good job 'gregor'...what a sh!thole.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
For someone who can see a nice rez from his beach, this really is a feel good story, lol.

What? Just sayin'.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
There's always going to someone preying on the poor. If it's not dope dealers, it's government or the creeps who look down their noses on everyone who doesn't share their world

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If it's cleaned up it will be developers doing evil.

There's always going to someone preying on the poor. If it's not dope dealers, it's government or the creeps who look down their noses on everyone who doesn't share their world

And the addicts prey on the contents of your vehicle or pockets.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I know the area better than anyone here having worked down there in the past and shopping by bicycle a couple times a month-there's a famous discount produce place that's always worth checking out.

And that's where worlds collide-honest poor residents rub shoulders with the alcohol & drug dependent vermin who infest the streets.

I've seen improvements and some really really sad scenes and overall I'd say it's worse than ever down there.

What to do?

Well it's all fine & good to tell the cops to arrest everyone who acts suspicious but those people will be back on the streets a few hours later there simply isn't room for them in the present system.

What disturbs me-and the police have tried to address this-is people living in the own worlds acting as if there is no traffic/no laws no reason to act as if anyone but them inhabits this planet.

As I said the police start arresting people for wandering out in traffic and next thing you know there's a demonstration about 'persecution' that makes all the news.

So maybe Kirk LaPointe has a point but unless it's a well organised well funded campaign with the political will to sustain the pressure it will all amount to SFA.

BTW-there is no Gulag the doormat brained dork who posted that subject line has NFC.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

If it's cleaned up it will be developers doing evil.

And the addicts prey on the contents of your vehicle or pockets.

So basically it's the circle of life, DTES style.

It's not like the drug dealers are the mercedes driving kind selling to the junkies and the homeless. It's the actual trickle down effect in action. Not like the mythical one in the corporate world.