Post-secondary vocational education and training plays an under-recognised role

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
in country skill systems

Jason Kenney نVerified account ‏@kenneyjason

Interesting new OECD report amplifies our message about importance of work-based vocational training to job creation:

http://is.gd/xbO2Gg

http://www.keepeek.com/Digital-Asset-Management/oecd/education/skills-beyond-school_9789264214682-en#page1

I'm sure we don't quite have the 39% mouthbreathing basement dweller crowd the yanks have but for those that whine about their lot in life or just don't wanna work, this would be for them. might lift their toquey liberal arts BA spirits some. help them to contribute to society instead of leeching off it.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
might lift their toquey liberal arts BA spirits some. help them to contribute to society instead of leeching off it.

Leeching? I have a history/poli-sci degree and am paying my bills and my debt slowly but surely. I am looking into trades and such hopefully for next year, but in the meantime I'm doing alright.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Leeching? I have a history/poli-sci degree and am paying my bills and my debt slowly but surely. I am looking into trades and such hopefully for next year, but in the meantime I'm doing alright.
To be honest though WLDB, you are a bit of an anomaly. On many levels. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that you have a strong work ethic and willing to do what it took to not be a burden to anyone.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Leeching?

I have a history/poli-sci degree and am paying my bills and my debt slowly but surely. I am looking into trades and such hopefully for next year, but in the meantime I'm doing alright.

I don't think anyone called you a leech but if you were in the 39% well then...otherwise, attaboy and way to demonstrate 'how to be' then.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
To be honest though WLDB, you are a bit of an anomaly. On many levels. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that you have a strong work ethic and willing to do what it took to not be a burden to anyone.

I will admit that I am a bit of an anomaly. I got lucky in a way. The job I have is not really related much to what I went to school for but its a job and it gets things done. The thing that keeps me out of the field I studied is I'm not bilingual though I'm working on it. Its difficult to get anything good in Ottawa in any field without being bilingual.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I will admit that I am a bit of an anomaly. I got lucky in a way. The job I have is not really related much to what I went to school for but its a job and it gets things done. The thing that keeps me out of the field I studied is I'm not bilingual though I'm working on it. Its difficult to get anything good in Ottawa in any field without being bilingual.
I rest my case.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think anyone called you a leech but if you were in the 39% well then...otherwise, attaboy and way to demonstrate 'how to be' then.

If I recall correctly those 39% are in the US. I have a number of friends who did go back to their parents basement but most of them had a job waiting or got one shortly after going there. I don't know how most of them do it. Personally I'd probably go insane if I lived with one of my parents again.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
That's the reason I had to leave Ottawa. Sucks but it's true.

Yep i can see that happening to me in the not too distant future. I hope not. I love this city and don't have much interest in living anywhere else but my mind for whatever reason is very slow in picking up French.