Ontario's Job Numbers Point To A Reversal Of Fortune In Canada's Economy

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Surprise, surprise.

We’re all used to hearing about Alberta being the place in Canada to find work, but here’s something we’re not used to hearing: Ontario is leading job growth in the country, and by a mile.

It’s a clear indicator that slumping oil prices, coupled with a recovery in the U.S. economy, are turning economic fortunes around in Canada. The West may not be the best for much longer.

Ontario, which has struggled for years to replace disappearing manufacturing jobs, created more than half of new jobs in Canada over the past two months, BMO economist Robert Kavcic noted this week. The province accounted for nearly 62,000 of the 117,000 jobs created.

That’s quite a turnaround from earlier this year, when one city in Alberta (Edmonton) accounted for 40 per cent of all the job growth in the country.

StatsCan’s latest labour force report, for October, showed Canada’s unemployment rate falling to 6.5 per cent, the lowest rate since late 2008. And for the first time since 2006, Ontario’s unemployment rate wasn’t higher than the national average. It came in spot on at 6.5 per cent.

Kavcic put together this chart showing Ontario lagging the country for years, until just last month:

bmo ontario jobs chart

“Could this be an indication the gaping regional divide is in fact narrowing?” Kavcic asks. “Note that cities with the strongest job growth in Canada right now are not Calgary, Regina et al, but rather Guelph, Hamilton, Oshawa and Barrie — cities around the GTA with a manufacturing and trade presence.”

Many economists have been predicting that, with the loonie declining in value as the U.S. economy expands, central Canada’s manufacturing exporters will once again see robust growth.

That certainly bears out in the unemployment numbers, which show manufacturing employment up 2 per cent in Canada over the past year, compared to 1 per cent job growth for all sectors.

Meanwhile, with oil prices slumping in recent months, growth in the resources sector may not live up to expectations. Alberta is still creating jobs (2.6 per cent added over the past year) but the resources sector is not: Employment in forestry, fishing, mining, oil and gas is down 6.2 per cent over the past year, about 24,000 jobs gone.

One caveat: StatsCan’s unemployment numbers are notoriously volatile, jumping pretty wildly from month to month. Of that 6.2-per-cent drop in resources jobs, 5.8 percentage points of it came just last month. Canada lost nearly 6 per cent of all resources jobs in a month? That seems a little odd. And let's hope that doesn't repeat next month, or resource-rich provinces are in trouble.

So is Ontario really leading job growth in Canada? We probably won’t be able to say until we’ve got at least a few more monthly unemployment reports behind us, but as things stand, Canada’s economy looks to be in for a dramatic reversal of fortune.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Ontario, you know I've seen
A place I'd rather be
Your scummy lakes and city of Toronto
Don't mean a damn thing to me
I'd rather die in Cincy

--Stan Rogers (slight modification by me)

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

We’re all used to hearing about Alberta being the place in Canada to find work, but here’s something we’re not used to hearing: Ontario is leading job growth in the country, and by a mile.

This will reflect extremely well on Harper and the standing gvt.

... Not looking so good for Justine though

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Considering this is mostly to do with the falling loonie, it will have no effect on Harper's numbers.

You mean you are not going to blame Harper for the drop in the loonie?
Dropping oil prices have nothing to do with the increase in manufacturing jobs in Ontario. Check what these new manufacturing jobs pay.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
So, I guess the question is: Where will the money to pay down the fiscal mess come from?

I still predict huge cuts for Ontario.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
In the public sector too. As well as degraded services.

Especially if Mr Wynne is going to be throwing money at Tdots transit woes.

We;ll likely see the bulk of that flying in with banners and sparklers in just under 4 years time.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Surprise, surprise.

Jobs that pay what?
Truck in Drivers Ontario make between $35,000 - $50,000 a year.
Truck Drivers in Alberta make anywhere from $60,000 - $120,00 a year.

A person working at Tim Hortons in Ontario makes $10.75 an hour. could be a tad higher.
A person working at Tim Hortons in Alberta makes $17.00 an hour with full benefits.

In Ontario you pay HST 12% tax. Electronic disposal tax flat rates on tv, computer, cell phone.
In Alberta you pay GST 5%

In Ontario you pay a health Premium
In Alberta you don't

Yup Ontario is kicking Alberta's *** when it comes to the economy and standard of living.

You guys have much nicer winters though.

In the public sector too. As well as degraded services.

Especially if Mr Wynne is going to be throwing money at Tdots transit woes.

We;ll likely see the bulk of that flying in with banners and sparklers in just under 4 years time.

Funny thing is Bear. I haven't got a Doctor out here yet, but did a walk in and saw one in 15 minutes. In Ontario I had to book three weeks in advance just to see my family Doc.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Jobs that pay what?

A person working at Tim Hortons in Ontario makes $10.75 an hour. could be a tad higher.
A person working at Tim Hortons in Alberta makes $17.00 an hour with full benefits.

In Ontario you pay HST 12% tax. Electronic disposal tax flat rates on tv, computer, cell phone.

In Alberta you don't

Yup Ontario is kicking Alberta's *** when it comes to the economy and standard of living.

I've thought of moving out west a couple times, but then something good shows up here, so I stay.

Again, something good recently showed up, so I'm staying here again. It's not always about the money. But your point is not lost on me.

Funny thing is Bear. I haven't got a Doctor out here yet, but did a walk in and saw one in 15 minutes. In Ontario I had to book three weeks in advance just to see my family Doc.
Ain't that great? How long have the local Libby's had to fix the mess our healthcare is in, in Ontario?

Why is it glad handing and fluff is flaunted like they're the second coming, but lack of substance isn't an issue?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I've thought of moving out west a couple times, but then something good shows up here, so I stay.

Again, something good recently showed up, so I'm staying here again. It's not always about the money. But your point is not lost on me.

Trust me man. If I could have stayed I would have. I like Ontario, but I was tired of the hand to mouth and the uncertainty of retirement. Never mind driving past those M.T.O. INSPECTION STATIONS (aka Government cash registers).

I will definitely miss the winters as well, but I'm buying a house in a month and it has a heated shop and well I have many more options here now.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Considering this is mostly to do with the falling loonie, it will have no effect on Harper's numbers.

The average Liberal supporter has no clue about that. Case in point, you gotta be a whole lotta blind to vote for a guy like Trudeau just because he has nice hair... With this in mind, those voters won't have a clue about currency FX, economics and whatnot.

Jobs that pay what?

In Alberta you don't

I bet that you're suffering from a bit of the cost-of-living-shock out here... One of the drawbacks I guess.

That said, one of the nice surprises you're in store for is that the provincial income tax component is a straight 10%. Add that to the scenario of no PST and it really starts to add up.

Besides, you're in Ft Sask - The Yellowhead Highway is right there and will take you up into Jasper National Park... Nice in the winter (if you like skiing) and really great in the summers