Sheila Copps says she was raped, and sexually assaulted

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Sheila Copps says current public discussions around sexual harassment, politics and the media have inspired her to disclose that she’s been sexually assaulted and raped — in one case, while she was a Member of Provincial Parliament.
The former deputy prime minister, who served as a Hamilton Centre MP and MPP, told CBC News on Monday afternoon that recent discussions about sexual harassment on Parliament Hill compelled her to step forward.
“If people don’t sort of talk about things that happen to them and expose them, then they’re never going to change,” Copps said.
“And I think the boys’ world of politics is there and it’s going to continue to be there, but there are things you can do to change it.”
Copps wrote about her sexual assaults in The Hill Times on Monday.
One incident occurred when she was a 28-year-old MPP, and one of six women in the Ontario legislature.
She and other MPPs were on a parliamentary tour in northern Ontario studying violence against women. After lunch, she and a male MPP stepped off an elevator, she said, and he backed her against the wall.
“He pushed me up against the wall and fondled me, and tried to kiss me,” she said.
She kneed him in the groin, she said, and “he kind of recoiled and backed off, and never tried it again.
“I never reported it. I just felt I’d dealt with it and that was the way it was.”
She also wrote about the incident in her 1986 memoir Nobody’s Baby. She didn’t discuss it with anyone when it happened, she said. And she served on a committee with the MPP for another year.
“I was the only woman in my caucus,” she said. “There wasn’t a safe place to go talk about it.”
The rape occurred more than 30 years ago before she was a politician, she said. Police told her a conviction was unlikely because she knew the person, she said. They just visited him and warned him to keep his distance, she added.
Copps said she stepped forward after tweeting support for former Q host Jian Ghomeshi. She also wrote the article in light of two NDP MPs lodging misconduct complaints against two Liberal MPs, who have been suspended from caucus while an investigation takes place.
Current process 'dangerous for both parties

Parliament lacks the proper process to deal with sexual harassment allegations, Copps said.
She said like to see the Ontario Labour Code overlaid onto the process on Parliament Hill "in the very least."
There’s no current structure for complainants, which “is very dangerous for both parties,” she said.
“It’s not only dangerous for the potential victim; It’s also dangerous for the person who’s been accused because they can basically be suspended from their jobs with absolutely no capacity to do anything about it.”

End Article.

What I find interesting is that Sheila Copps does not name the individual who raped her. After all, what kind of example is she setting for other potential rape victims if she fails to show the courage in accusing the man she claimed who raped her publicly ? And would it not lend credibility to her allegation? After all, if she does not name the individual it really starts to look like she is just looking for some relevancy. I'd like to think that a woman who claims to champion the rights and cause of other woman would do more than offer anecdotal claims that are not substantiated to this point. I hope she finds the courage to name her attacker.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I hope I'm not the only one thinking what should be an obvious question right now.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Here's a clue..

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Here's a clue..

So you're saying what? Why would anyone rape Sheila Copps?

I thought you were asking a harder question like: Who raped her> Was it Jean? Was it Brian? Was it David? I mean when throwing out an accusation like this you leave open all sorts of speculation.

Well done you found a worse picture.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
no offense, but for some scumbags, physical attractiveness has nothing to do with the rape. They'd rape your 83 year old grand mother if they could.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
The odd thing is that I thought Rape WAS Sexual Assault these days... so how does one get Raped AND Sexually Assaulted?

Wouldn't it be two incidents of Sexual Assault?

.... anyways, that's just me thinking out loud, moving on....

“And I think the boys’ world of politics is there and it’s going to continue to be there, but there are things you can do to change it.”

Well it's all well and good to come forward (if indeed true) to help encourage other women to stand up and against these sorts of things, but it seems odd to me that she would try and hint that today's political environment is very much the same as it was 30 some years ago when these things allegedly happened to her.

The 80's were a lot of things, but they're not Today.... or the 70's, depending on when exactly these things apparently happened.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The rape occurred more than 30 years ago before she was a politician, she said. Police told her a conviction was unlikely because she knew the person, she said. They just visited him and warned him to keep his distance, she added.

It was reported and the police "talked" to him only.

What exactly is it you would expect her to do?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8OWasn't it John Crosbie who said:

"Sheila Sheila
Pass the tequila
Lay down and love me again."

?

He was mocking her at the time, obviously, and was known for his nasty verbiage.
His mock was not taken kindly.
Maybe it wasn't even him who said it.
It just rang a wee bell
But I'm off the meds
So I might have been hearing things
In my mind

muh hahahahahaha.
need tea.:roll:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The next time "baby" (look it up) tells the truth it'll be the first time.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I hope I'm not the only one thinking what should be an obvious question right now.
no you're not the only one, I too am wondering who did it and why they got away with it

if you meant anything else, you are a part of the problem

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
What exactly is it you would expect her to do?

I would expect her to name the person she accuses of raping her. Sheila has long touted herself as an advocate for woman and rests on those laurels. In saying that she was raped and failing to identify the person she is saying to woman out there that it is okay to stay silent. The man who allegedly raped her, may well have raped other woman, may well be a serving MP.

You just don't toss an allegation like this out unless you're willing to back it up. I'd like to believe that she is being honest, but if she is going to stay silent about the "who" then perhaps she should have stayed silent about the "what where and when". Her sudden revelation does nothing to stop violence against women except to put her back in the media.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I would expect her to name the person she accuses of raping her. Sheila has long touted herself as an advocate for woman and rests on those laurels. In saying that she was raped and failing to identify the person she is saying to woman out there that it is okay to stay silent. The man who allegedly raped her, may well have raped other woman, may well be a serving MP.

You just don't toss an allegation like this out unless you're willing to back it up. I'd like to believe that she is being honest, but if she is going to stay silent about the "who" then perhaps she should have stayed silent about the "what where and when". Her sudden revelation does nothing to stop violence against women except to put her back in the media.

If she did name names, what proof is there?