Canadians trust in authority figures after Ottawa attack

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A majority of Canadians approved of the way federal political leaders, police officers and the news media handled the shooting in Ottawa two weeks ago, according to poll results released this week.

And while most said they don’t feel any more at risk now, a majority indicated they would support more police powers to monitor people who could pose a threat.

More than 60 per cent of those polled online by Abacus Data approved of the way Prime Minister Stephen Harper responded to the shooting, compared with 51 per cent for both NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair and Liberal Party Leader Justin Trudeau. However, support for the federal Conservative Party remained unchanged at 30 per cent, while the Liberals got a slight boost to 35 per cent, up from 32 per cent in mid-October.

NDP support fell from 25 to 24 per cent.

more

Canadians trust in authority figures after Ottawa attack: poll | Ottawa Citizen

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
"It is a wonderful thing that Canadians are willing to give up their freedoms for a little security." - TV evangelist.

Looks like the sheeple have been sufficiently frightened into submission.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
This is a clear sign that the public fully supports Harper... Looks like another electoral victory for the home team

Or they're sleeping, shopping for Christmas or did not understand the question.

FBI REPORT: NO DEATHS AT SANDY HOOK: WAS EXERCISE, MISREPORTED, CREATED CRISISFBI REPORT: NO DEATHS AT SANDY HOOK: WAS EXERCISE, MISREPORTED, CREATED CRISIS

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This is a clear sign that the public fully supports Harper... Looks like another electoral victory for the home team

Except we don't vote for Prime Minister. The poll shows more people support Harper but fewer people support his party. So really, Stephen Harper should run for the Liberal leadership and be PM of our new surveillance state in a Liberal/NDP coalition. These polls are just chock full of clear signs.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
More than 60 per cent of those polled online by Abacus Data approved of the way Prime Minister Stephen Harper responded to the shooting, compared with 51 per cent for both NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair and Liberal Party Leader Justin Trudeau. However, support for the federal Conservative Party remained unchanged at 30 per cent, while the Liberals got a slight boost to 35 per cent, up from 32 per cent in mid-October.

guess their crystal balls aren't so crystal clear....this made me actually laugh

a poll that says nothing, but sure makes some people feel good....LOL love it

oh and just to add, I don't trust in authority after the attack, I trust in the ability of Kevin Vickers

maybe he should run...he has balls

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

30% anyway. I agree with how he handled the situation but that wont get me to vote for him or his party.

oh and just to add, I don't trust in authority after the attack, I trust in the ability of Kevin Vickers

maybe he should run...he has balls

A politician with balls would be interesting. Been awhile since that has happened.

I feel safer

I felt safe before the attack, still do.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
More than 60 per cent of those polled online by Abacus Data approved of the way Prime Minister Stephen Harper responded to the shooting

very few know of Harper's closet heroics! My gawd... he even left paraplegic MP Steven Fletcher to "man the gates" while he (Harper) hid out in this closet!

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Once he was in the closet, the doors should have been locked................

"Yelling........I don hear no yelling

Screaming for mama.........I don hear no screaming.

Too ruckin fitch.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
"It is a wonderful thing that Canadians are willing to give up their freedoms for a little security." - TV evangelist.

Looks like the sheeple have been sufficiently frightened into submission.

In this case I agree.

Moment One: "Canadians will not be intimidated."

Moment Two: Canadian soldiers ordered not to wear uniforms

Moment Three: New legislation to increase police powers.

Perhaps these idiots need to look up "intimidated"

Our behaviour is the epitome of intimidated.

Time to throw out the security state, and actually behave as if we had some courage.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Once he was in the closet, the doors should have been locked................

"Yelling........I don hear no yelling

Screaming for mama.........I don hear no screaming.

Too ruckin fitch.

I wondered if anyone made a joke when he came out of the closet.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I thought you were a card-carrying member of that idiot's fan club.

Hardly a fan club.

I am a Conservative Party member, because I am simply politically involved......I can't stay away.

I could give you a substantial list of things I do NOT like about Harper, starting with mandatory sentencing, progressing through the war on drugs and the security state, and ending with the treatment of veterans.

Unfortunately, Harper's Conservatives are still head and shoulders above Trudeau's Liberals and Mulcair's NDP, IMHO.

Sad really.

(Insert Churchill quote here)