Canada, China ink commercial deals worth more than $1B

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper waves as he leaves a joint news conference with Premier Li Keqiang in Beijing, China Saturday November 8, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

Prime Minister Stephen Harper was surrounded by Chinese business representatives clamouring to have their photo taken with him Saturday after he announced an array of commercial deals with China.

At a Canada-China business luncheon in Beijing, Harper witnessed the signing of more than 20 deals between Canadian and Chinese organizations valued at more than $1 billion.

They include an investment deal in the sustainable technologies sectors to combat air pollution in China.

Harper then made a speech to the conference, telling the audience that Canada hopes to narrow the significant trade imbalance between Canada and China, creating Canadian jobs as a result.

Following the speech, the crowd was told the prime minister would pose for photos with anyone interested. Within minutes, dozens of Chinese business people flooded to the front of the room to pose beside the smiling Harper.

Later Saturday, Harper is expected to announce that Canada and China have signed a deal to make Canada the first Chinese currency hub in the Americas.

The deal will foster far easier trade between the Canadian dollar and the Chinese yuan, also known as the renminbi.

Canada, China ink commercial deals worth more than $1B | 680News

PM welcomes new commercial agreements between Canadian and Chinese firms | Prime Minister of Canada

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
This is bad for Canada. As midgets are a sure sign of awesome TV, the inclusion of Harper in any deal, makes it bad bad bad.

Now, on the flip side, Ontario's $130mil deal and 230 jobs is of much more significance, and far better for Canada's economy.

Thank you Mr Wynne.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This is bad for Canada. As midgets are a sure sign of awesome TV, the inclusion of Harper in any deal, makes it bad bad bad.

Now, on the flip side, Ontario's $130mil deal and 230 jobs is of much more significance, and far better for Canada's economy.

Thank you Mr Wynne.

Is Mr Wynne upset that he doesn't have what China needs?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh Mr Wynne is upset about a lot of things. But I'm sure he did his best to pass off his hot air as the next best thing to.

Hot air? SK has tech to utilize that.

They include an investment deal in the sustainable technologies sectors to combat air pollution in China

A few SK manufactured carbon capture and NG co-jet systems for the hundreds of coal powerplants being built would be a nice bonus for our bustling manufacturing and export sector.

Mr Wynne have anything like that kicking around or still just those sh-t for quality Algonquin Power egg beaters nobody wants?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Oh shush, you'll upset Mr Wynne's fanboi's and goil's. Mr Wynne is the next best thing to the second coming, he single handedly dropped the Canadian dollar that sparked life in Ont, dontchya know.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh shush, you'll upset Mr Wynne's fanboi's and goil's. Mr Wynne is the next best thing to the second coming, he single handedly dropped the Canadian dollar that sparked life in Ont, dontchya know.

It had nothing to do with the cash the Canadian Govt is dumping in the US markets through TD, RBC and Scotia Bank's US outlets?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Damn, that is hilarious!
Thank you, thank you very much, I'm here all week, try the veal and don't tip the little people, they don't like it.

It had nothing to do with the cash the Canadian Govt is dumping in the US markets through TD, RBC and Scotia Bank's US outlets?
Oh no way, dude. It was Ont Libby magic beans and stuff. Mr Wynne is a wizzy stick swingin' wizard.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

The Chinese gvt has a crap-ton of US currency.... Bet that any deals they do will be paid in greenbacks.

Smart that Canada has waited to liquidate the US currency reserves when the CAD is lower... They will be getting a lot back in via this business with China

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
According to SEC filings CDN Gov started buying USD back in April to lower our dollar.

Where was Mr Wynne in April and how did he convince the Bank of Canada to do such a thing?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
According to SEC filings CDN Gov started buying USD back in April to lower our dollar.

Where was Mr Wynne in April and how did he convince the Bank of Canada to do such a thing?

I don't think that the Canada's Central Bank paid much heed to Wynne at that time... Besides, FX trades done right is a quick (albeit risky) way to make a few dollars

Yeah. I know.

But I'll held off as long as I could.

Please don't hate me. :D

Wynne looks terrible in that picture