Canada posts second month of big job gains, jobless rate dives

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada unexpectedly added 43,100 new jobs in October and the unemployment rate dropped to a near six-year low of 6.5 percent, prompting market optimism that the sluggish job market might finally be improving.

Analysts had expected a loss of 5,000 jobs after the outsized gain of 74,100 positions in September.

The jobless rate - down from 6.8 percent in September - was the lowest since the 6.4 percent recorded in November 2008, Statistics Canada said on Friday.

"This is the second strong release we've had in a row, and the details are quite strong as well, so I think that the shift in the labor market is very encouraging," said Camilla Sutton, chief currency strategist at Scotiabank.

"All in all it would suggest that the Canadian economic fundamental situation is a bit better than had been priced in."

more

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/canada-adds-43-100-jobs-133940223.html

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada unexpectedly added 43,100 new jobs in October and the unemployment rate dropped to a near six-year low of 6.5 percent, prompting market optimism that the sluggish job market might finally be improving.

Analysts had expected a loss of 5,000 jobs after the outsized gain of 74,100 positions in September.

The jobless rate - down from 6.8 percent in September - was the lowest since the 6.4 percent recorded in November 2008, Statistics Canada said on Friday.

"This is the second strong release we've had in a row, and the details are quite strong as well, so I think that the shift in the labor market is very encouraging," said Camilla Sutton, chief currency strategist at Scotiabank.

"All in all it would suggest that the Canadian economic fundamental situation is a bit better than had been priced in."

more

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/canada-adds-43-100-jobs-133940223.html

I wonder how many immigrants Canada had to bring in to fill those jobs, because there are to many lazy Canadian that would rather live off Canadian taxpayers than get off their lazy arses and get a job!!

....but it's great to see Canada flourish under a Conservative "Harper" government.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Gotta love it when bad news hits, it's Ontario's fault and when good news comes, no one here makes a peep about them.

I wonder why?

Maybe it's because all the big gains that month came from Ontario and there was little to no change in Alberta or Saskatchewan.

Hrrmmmmph!

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I am sorry, when Ontario goes in the toilet, you put all the blame on Harper. So naturally, the inverst must be true. Surprised you didn't post this news item yourself Flossy.

Except that there is no evidence that Harper's policy is affecting the economy either way.

That's the point.

Well, except for some carefully placed stimulus.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
How else can I contrast a failed policy with the reality.

Oil is a very unstable industry that will eventually die.

That much has already been shown.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Tulip sales are through the roof.

Rockets also.

I am sorry, when Ontario goes in the toilet, you put all the blame on Harper. So naturally, the inverst must be true. Surprised you didn't post this news item yourself Flossy.

Jeez yah, and we're all trying so hard to be nice to ya.8O

Thank you for highlighting my point.

Gotta love that oil sector taking a dive.

In all fairness, gotta say that's not Harper's fault.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Maybe it's because all the big gains that month came from Ontario and there was little to no change in Alberta or Saskatchewan.
What were the gains in ON? It's hard for AB and SK because they are technically at full employment as it is. SK 3.2%, AB 4.5%

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
Gotta love it when bad news hits, it's Ontario's fault and when good news comes, no one here makes a peep about them.

I wonder why?

Hrrmmmmph!

of course! Falling dollar reflects upon Ontario manufacturing ramp-up and associated jobs increase; surely, they're not suggesting the falling dollar is due to Harper, are they?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The falling dollar was all Mr Wynne's doing. As told to us by Flossy.

Yay Ontario liberals!!!