Canada Is Becoming More American on Gun Control

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Canada Is Becoming More American on Gun Control

Public Safety Minister Blaney tabled today in the House of Commons the "Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act." Common sense indicates that we should strengthen not weaken our gun control laws. We note that this bill is introduced the day before the Supreme Court of Canada will hear the Government of Quebec's appeal to obtain the gun registry data for the province. The Coalition has been granted intervenor status on this case.

Making it easier for people to get access to guns carries with it a huge price. Inadequate controls make it easier for legal guns to be diverted to illegal markets. Inadequate controls fuel the use of guns in domestic violence. Inadequate controls also fuel the use of guns in suicides increasing fatalities, particularly among youth. Research has shown that firearm death and injury have declined with progressively strong controls on firearms. We fear what will happen as our laws are further eroded.

We have not had the opportunity to study the fine print of the bill but at first glance, it appears that the Federal Government's new proposals will make it easier to transport restricted firearms such as handguns. By reducing the powers of the Chief Firearms Officers, the federal government may make it difficult for provinces to strengthen their legislation within their powers. There are also plans to reduce the screening processes needed for some licenses.

Polls show Canadians want the government to make it harder not easier to get guns. Legal guns are a major source of illegal guns, up to a third of handguns recovered in crime in Canada were stolen or otherwise diverted from legal handgun owners with often tragic consequences. These proposals not only further relax the controls on rifles and shotguns but on handguns. Historically, we have strictly controlled their possession and movements.

The gun lobby has bragged about its access to the Prime Minister, and this is the latest evidence of their influence. Calls from police for stronger controls, particularly on military weapons appear to have been ignored. In spite of the risks to public safety, leading injury prevention, public health experts and women's safety groups do not appear to have been consulted on these changes.

Canada is one of the only countries in the world that is moving backwards: weakening its controls on firearms while other countries are introducing stronger laws to improve safety and combat the trafficking of firearms.

source: Canada Is Becoming More American on Gun ControlÂ*|Â*Coalition for Gun Control

The government needs to stay out of my closet...

Since Obama has become President, more US Citizens buy guns but do not register them.. the same is happening in Canada..

More guns in Canada now, but fewer owners: RCMP

RCMP says. "They say many Canadian gun owners are “going underground,” due to fears they will face increased police scrutiny and the seizure of their weapons."

Remember High River??

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
When you have 7sq miles of land you can have, use and hide any damn thing you want. ;)

I have nothing to hide. :)

You just have to find it.

Awesome! You know what they say, a good friend will help you move but a great friend will help you move a body. Still you do need some place to move the bodies too. Right buddy? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Lol

*peeks under the couch at petros's house*

Found it!!!!

...dust bunnies, that is.;)

No, I'm pretty sure they all live here.

I've named some of them.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
What I would love to find in Canada is a Shooting Range (in Calgary) that does not require you to prove you have legally registered the firearm you want to shoot.

A private business trying to be cops.

what... no open carry? Set your (gun) sights higher - yes?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
what... no open carry? Set your (gun) sights higher - yes?

Do you have to make a fool of yourself wherever you post?

Have you EVER heard of a Canadian advocating unlicensed open carry of handguns?

EVER???

Go away.

The adults are having a conversation.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Do you have to make a fool of yourself wherever you post?

Have you EVER heard of a Canadian advocating unlicensed open carry of handguns?

EVER???

Go away.

The adults are having a conversation.

The practice of CCW is technically legal in Canada, but is rarely permitted. Section 20 of the Firearms Act allows issuance of an Authorization to Carry (ATC) in limited circumstances. Concealment of the firearm is permitted only if specifically stipulated in the conditions of the ATC, as section 58(1) of the Firearms Act allows a CFO to attach conditions to an ATC.

Provincial chief firearm officers (CFOs) may only issue an authorization in accordance with the regulations. Specifically, SOR 98-207 section 2 requires, for an ATC for protection of life, that an individual be in imminent danger and that police protection is insufficient. As such, where the relevant police agency determines its protection is sufficient, the CFO would have difficulty in issuing the ATC over police objections.

For issuance of an ATC under 98-207(3) for lawful occupations, provision is made for armored car personnel under subsection a), for wildlife protection (while working) and trapping under subsections b) and c). Unless hunting or other activity is occupational, it would not be possible to issue an ATC under this section.[1] As noted, while a CFO can exercise some discretion, (s)he must follow the law when considering applications for an ATC.[2]

What I'm saying Colpy is they need to change the laws in Canada to mirror the USA. More and more Canadians do not want this.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Why would a filthy rich land owner spend so many hours of the day playing internet hero?

Because it took years of hard work to get 7 sections and now I'm pooped and worn out.

I could be like the majority and be pooped and worn out with f-ck all to show for it and spend my day jealous and bitching about having f-ck all.

PS. I wash daily.

What should I be doing? Standing out on the acres watching snow fall?