Harper unveils controversial marquee tax relief for Canadian families

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Harper unveils controversial marquee tax relief for Canadian families

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Stephen Harper is pressing ahead with income splitting for families with kids under 18 — a multibillion-dollar Conservative election promise from 2011 that critics have said would benefit too few Canadians.

Harper says the Conservative government is also boosting the universal child care benefit — $160 a month for kids under six, up from $100, plus a new monthly benefit of $60 for children aged six through 17, effective in 2015.

The so-called "Family Tax Cut" will allow an eligible taxpayer to transfer up to $50,000 of income to his or her spouse for tax purposes in order to collect a non-refundable tax credit of up to $2,000 per year.

Those two measures together will cost $3.1 billion in 2014-15 and $4.5 billion in 2015-16.

The Conservatives made the income-splitting promise during the 2011 election campaign, but it was contingent on the federal books being balanced.

Harper has said the federal deficit in the past fiscal year would be $5.2 billion, a fraction of the $16.6 billion forecast, but insisted there won't be a surplus until next year.

source: https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/n...al-marquee-tax-relief-canadian-193547123.html

That's right B*tches!!!!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
There should be no tax relief until the budget is balanced and then priority should be given to paying down the debt.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Potholes? We have new bridges, canals, locks, dams.

F*ck the potholes, that's the municipalities problem.

Northboy

Electoral Member
Potholes? We have new bridges, canals, locks, dams.

F*ck the potholes, that's the municipalities problem.

You can say its a municipal problem, but senior government keeps offloading expenses for social programs on the local governments, hence no cash to fix basic infrastructure. I live up north and we don't see all the pretty new bridges,etc., but we sure see the senior governments run for cover when we bring up equitable sharing of resource revenue. They need that for the next glory project in the Lower Mainland.

Fix the potholes I Say!!!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No we need new bridges, roads, water treatment plants, to start.
I'm down with that.

I was just pointing out the infrastructure the has been build with federal cash in my small area. Some of which went to line my wallet I might add.

You can say its a municipal problem, but senior government keeps offloading expenses for social programs on the local governments, hence no cash to fix basic infrastructure. I live up north and we don't see all the pretty new bridges,etc., but we sure see the senior governments run for cover when we bring up equitable sharing of resource revenue. They need that for the next glory project in the Lower Mainland.

Fix the potholes I Say!!!
Talk to you local leaders, look at their spending before you start blaming the feds.

Our mayor just got the boot for spending our tax dollars on over priced ski bumps, snow cats and snow making machines. Instead of the potholes.

Northboy

Electoral Member
I'm down with that.

I was just pointing out the infrastructure the has been build with federal cash in my small area. Some of which went to line my wallet I might add.

Talk to you local leaders, look at their spending before you start blaming the feds.

Our mayor just got the boot for spending our tax dollars on over priced ski bumps, snow cats and snow making machines. Instead of the potholes.

Its probably a regional thing. I'm only pissed because I was stupid enough to hit one at speed and tore up my suspension. $1500.00 later....

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
This is a tax break to the most productive bunch of Canadians. The ones with one parent staying home to properly raise the next generation of Canadians, and the other parents working his a$$ off to support his family. Thank you Harper for finally helping out the people who actually make this great country, great.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Fixing more potholes only means less crack heads will move out west looking for jobs.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Don't be so silly. Where do you think municipalities get their money from?

Here, I'll help you out

Canada budget 2013 extends infrastructure spending with $53.5B plan | National Post

Government of Canada Investments in Public Infrastructure

Infrastructure Canada - Studies

If you need any more help, just let me know
Awww, I upset you again, in some other thread, so now you'll stalk me around the forum, trying to find a "gotchya".

Maybe when you calm down, you can show me where I said municipalities didn't get federal funding.

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Awww, I upset you again, in some other thread, so now you'll stalk me around the forum, trying to find a "gotchya".

Maybe when you calm down, you can show me where I said municipalities didn't get federal funding.

Your. Backtrack is duly noted.