John Tory vows to move Toronto ‘not left, not right, but forward’

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Wow, what slogan.

Rhetoric, sure.

But I like it.

How often to we hear a politician break the fourth wall like this?

If you ask me, this is what Harper needs to do if he wants to get another majority in 2015.

John Tory vows to move Toronto ‘not left, not right, but forward’

By: Daniel Dale City Hall, Published on Mon Oct 27 2014

John Tory has been elected mayor of Toronto. The Ford era is over.

Tory promised “sensible, competent, accountable” leadership after four years of scandal and upheaval under Rob Ford. His win over second-place Doug Ford and third-place Olivia Chow, on record turnout, is a repudiation of the siblings whose behaviour outraged most of the city. It heralds a return to normalcy in local government.

“As your new mayor, I will work with the council that the people of Toronto elected tonight in moving Toronto not left, not right, but forward. I will be a balanced and accountable leader. And we’re going to do this together,” Tory said in his victory speech.

Tory received about 40 per cent of the vote, Doug Ford about 34 per cent, Olivia Chow 23 per cent.

Tory’s comfortable 60,000-plus-vote victory was closer than the double-digit cruise suggested by recent opinion polls. Ford’s competitiveness demonstrated the enduring loyalty of the family’s base of supporters, concentrated in the low-income Etobicoke and Scarborough.

But the massive turnout underscored the extent to which Toronto voters sought change. More than 980,000 people voted, 61 per cent of the electorate; the previous post-amalgamation turnout record, set in 2010, was 51 per cent. A full two-thirds chose someone other than Ford.

“Voters want their elected officials to get down to work on the priorities that matter most to them: better transit, more jobs, an end to the gridlock that is choking our streets,” Tory said. “And the electorate has spoken on one other issue: Torontonians want to see an end to the division that has paralyzed city hall in the last few years. And to all of that, I say: Toronto, I hear you. I hear you loud and clear. You want results. And together with council, we will deliver.”

The win came as a relief to Premier Kathleen Wynne, whose Liberal MPPs overwhelmingly backed Tory. Told of the result on a trade mission in China, she said, “Hallelujah.”

Tory, who launched his campaign in a distant third place, took the lead for good three months ago. But the steady polling trend line belies the mayhem of a campaign in which the celebrity incumbent left the city for two months to receive treatment for drug and alcohol addiction, was diagnosed with a rare cancer, and was replaced on the ballot by his brother a mere 45 days before the vote.

“It was a unique campaign,” Rob Ford said. “I don’t think there’s ever been a campaign like it.”

Tory rose on the strength of his centrist good-government message, pleasantly staid personality and a single signature policy proposal, the “SmartTrack” surface rail line he claimed would “solve” the city’s traffic congestion problem “quickly.” With the help of endorsement upon endorsement from members of the provincial Liberal caucus, the former Progressive Conservative leader beat Chow, a former New Democrat MP, in the critical battle for middle-of-the-road voters.

John Tory vows to move Toronto ‘not left, not right, but forward’ after being elected mayor | Toronto Star

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Wow, what slogan.

Rhetoric, sure.

But I like it.

you, daniel and other weak-minded easily swayed shiny-key folk dig this 'forward' stuff we know...but it's just to shut ya's up and reduce whining:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I agree, which is why I said it was just rhetoric.

But this is the new line of thinking we need to get underway isn't it?

We're always complaining about how nonsensical the right/left divide is.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Yes, but the problem in those cases is not the rhetoric.

It's the follow up action.

If Tory can truly unite the political stripes and get all the councillors to work with him, he will accomplish things Ford could only have dreamed of (or maybe not, since Ford didn't have many good ideas to begin with).

I think on a municipal level, a mayor has the most flexibility to go right/left/wherever, but to even put those terms so succinctly in a slogan is a really good sign, imo.

Imagine if Harper started his campaign with "Fukk Conservatives - We are going to do what's right for everyone and here's our plan"

That would bring both sides together.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

If Tory can truly unite the political stripes and get all the councillors to work with him, he will accomplish things Ford could only have dreamed of (or maybe not, since Ford didn't have many good ideas to begin with).

I think on a municipal level, a mayor has the most flexibility to go right/left/wherever, but to even put those terms so succinctly in a slogan is a really good sign, imo.

Imagine if Harper started his campaign with "Fukk Conservatives - We are going to do what's right for everyone and here's our plan"

Bloody Liberals.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Yeah, sure it would. Worked well for Tory when he was running for Premiere.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You guys are missing the point.

It's about showing that the left/right thing is divisive and self-defeating.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Walter sounds stoned. "There is no point, man. It's all like. . . like. . . totally cosmic. It's like here and. . . now. . . but, like, there's no here and no now. Wow! Have you ever really LOOKED at your fingernails?"

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
"Going forward" is an overused old buzzword, that I heard adnauseum in the early '90s at all company production meetings.
It got to a point that some of us would keep count the number of times it was used in a meeting

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Someone please explain what Tory means by going forward, other than a dictionary definition. There is no point to his words.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Someone please explain what Tory means by going forward, other than a dictionary definition. There is no point to his words.

Okay here goes. He means: it's time to move forward. Not left, not right, not even backwards. But forward.

Forward
adj.
    1. At, near, or belonging to the front or forepart; fore: the forward section of the aircraft.
    2. Located ahead or in advance: kept her eye on the forward horizon.
    1. Going, tending, or moving toward a position in front: a forward plunge down a flight of stairs.
    2. Sports. Advancing toward an opponent's goal.
    3. Moving in a prescribed direction or order for normal use: forward rolling of the cassette tape.
    1. Ardently inclined; eager.
    2. Lacking restraint or modesty; presumptuous or bold: a forward child.
    1. Being ahead of current economic, political, or technological trends; progressive: a forward concept.
    2. Deviating radically from convention or tradition; extreme.
  • Exceptionally advanced; precocious.
  • Of, relating to, or done in preparation for the future: bidding on forward contracts for corn.
adv. or for·wards (-wərdz)
  • Toward or tending to the front; frontward: step forward.
  • Into consideration: put forward a new proposal.
  • In or toward the future: looking forward to seeing you.
    1. In the prescribed direction or sequence for normal use: rolled the tape forward.
    2. In an advanced position or a configuration registering a future time: set the clock forward.
    3. At or to a different time; earlier or later: moved the appointment forward, from Friday to Thursday.
n. Sports
  • A player in certain games, such as basketball, soccer, or hockey, who is part of the forward line of the offense.
  • The position played by such a person.
tr.v., -ward·ed, -ward·ing, -wards.
  • To send on to a subsequent destination or address. See synonyms at send1.
  • To help advance; promote. See synonyms at advance.
[Middle English, from Old English foreweard : fore-, fore- + -weard, -ward.]