Chow calls Toronto Sun cartoon ‘racist’ and ‘sexist’

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
You go girl!

Chow calls Toronto Sun cartoon ‘racist’ and ‘sexist’

Olivia Chow says a Toronto Sun editorial cartoon featuring the mayoral candidate is both “racist” and “sexist.”

The drawing, which was published in The Sun on Sunday, shows Chow, dressed in what appears to be an outfit worn by Chairman Mao, stepping on the coattails of a jacket with her late husband Jack Layton’s name on it.

“It is disgusting,” Chow told CP24 Sunday night.

“Because I am Chinese-Canadian, I must be a communist and have slanted eyes and glasses … and since I am a woman, I must be inferior and therefore not good enough for the job of the mayor so I must rely on my deceased husband so it both racist and sexist.”

Chow said she is surprised to see these types of stereotypes still circulating today.

“I remember getting that kind of attack in the 80s when I first became a school trustee,” she said.

“I thought those kind of racial stereotypes were long past us and then to bring up my deceased husband and to drag him in… it is just quite outrageous.”

When contacted by CP24, Toronto Sun publisher Mike Power declined to comment on the cartoon.

“It is up to them to decide what to do. I think the good people of this city, a lot of them are immigrants, I hope that they feel that they are insulted too,” she said.

“It goes to prove that we need to stand firm against racism because it still exists.”

Chow calls Toronto Sun cartoon ‘racist’ and ‘sexist’ | News and Politics from CP24.com

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I was hoping the goal posts shifts would be about Ezra the freedom warrior of the universe.

That's a shame.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
What a silly woman. She's a communist because she's a Dipper, not because she's Chinese....and riding on her husbands coat tails has nothing to do with her gender and everything to do with her lack of political skill. She should apologize to the cartoonist.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
old news is old mental.

oh dear... there could be madness tomorrow against the John Tory-supporting Sun:

who knows...

anyway, Ford Nation for the win. :wink:

and holy crap, I actually agree with cannuckledhead about the obviousness of the cartoon.

she's been 'chairman chow' for ages. she wears glasses. she has 'slanted' eyes because she's chinese. she did nothing of note on her own until after Jack died. maybe the whole troll science skateboard angle has her mad.

Donato sure ain't what he used to be though.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
“Because I am Chinese-Canadian, I must be a communist and have slanted eyes and glasses …"

Says the woman (whoever she is) with slanted eyes and glasses.

You've got slanted eyes and you wear glasses, love, so if somebody's going to draw a cartoon of you then your cartoon self will also have slanted eyes and glasses.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Let me say its a cartoon and in bad taste at that. A cartoon is a cartoon and in a
sense it helps her. The reason she gets to comment on something that is not a
picture of who she is or the circumstance.
She is an NDP not a Communist anymore that Harper as a Conservative is a Nazi.
Social Democrats are not communists at all i subscribe to some of their ideas and
certainly not others. The same as I subscribe to some Liberal thoughts and some
Conservative views as well.
The difference is I don't paint a position on the political spectrum as just one thing.
A Party name is a label and as a label it is a visual projection and in many cases
not the perceived view.
Is it the end of the world? NO. Is it in good taste? NO If I were undecided and I saw
this I would ask myself would I rather vote for the individual who was subjugated to
this kind of ridicule or those who condoned bad taste?
With that in mind I would vote for Chow
I have been called a lot of things being in bad taste is not one of them

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
This is outrageous! They are implying that Jack Layton and Stephen Harper are GAY!

And they're implying both Jack and Steve both have double erections!

There's also smoking in this political cartoon!

It's also a slight against mutants...

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
This is outrageous! They are implying that Jack Layton and Stephen Harper are GAY!

And they're implying both Jack and Steve both have double erections!

There's also smoking in this political cartoon!

It's also a slight against mutants...

Lol

Are you serious with this post?