Is the Trudeau facade starting to crumble?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Succinct.

"But he's no more of a statesman than Ben Mulroney - another son of privilege who had the good sense to go into a field of work that suits his talents.

It's been a rough week for Justin Trudeau.

After positioning himself as Prime Minister-in-waiting through the combination of his pedigree and estimable charm and traditional voter fatigue with a multiple-term sitting government, Trudeau has floundered badly in his first real test of crisis leadership.

It started last Thursday with his jaw-droppingly ill-advised dick joke during a Liberal love-in called Canada 2020, where Trudeau trivialized the ISIS terror threat by mocking the Harper government for "trying to whip out our F-18s and show them how big they are." It wasn't the first time the Liberal leader saw fit to crack wise about a large scale human catastrophe. Last winter, he brought a television interview to a screeching halt when he made a hockey joke about looming civil war in Ukraine.

Justin Trudeau jokes about the crisis in Ukraine - YouTube

Between Trudeau's frat boy approach to foreign affairs and public opinion polls showing him to be badly out of touch with prevailing Canadian sentiment on the terror threat, the Liberal braintrust was sufficiently panicked to give Marc Garneau the lead role in yesterday's House of Commons debate on Canada's military mission against ISIS. Not only was Trudeau relegated to spectator status, he left the debate early to attend a speech by former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who used the occasion to endorse military action against marauding Islamic extremists.

Justin Trudeau is a decent, engaging fellow with the best of intentions, but we've seen more than enough of him to recognize that he's not prime ministerial. He's a celebrity who would make a terrific figurehead for a charitable organization or maybe even a useful ambassador or consul-general with a little bit of schooling in diplomatic decorum and politesse. But he's no more of a statesman than Ben Mulroney - another son of privilege who had the good sense to go into a field of work that suits his talents.

Bird Droppings: Is the Trudeau facade starting to crumble?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Trudeau is the epitome of disrespectful Gen -X and Generation Y'rd with high expectations that have little grounding in reality.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Justin Trudeau is a decent, engaging fellow with the best of intentions, but we've seen more than enough of him to recognize that he's not prime ministerial. He's a celebrity who would make a terrific figurehead for a charitable organization or maybe even a useful ambassador or consul-general with a little bit of schooling in diplomatic decorum and politesse. But he's no more of a statesman than Ben Mulroney - another son of privilege who had the good sense to go into a field of work that suits his talents.

Actually, Justin has a wealth of talents well suited to the food service industry.

But for his name and wealth, he could be a barn-burner behind the counter at Burger King.

They might even let him wear the crown.

I am less and less worried that this ignorant man-child will ever be PM.

He is toast in 2015.

Four more years of Conservative rule.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Time will tell. Personally, I think this whole ISIS thing is going to go sideways, and then Trudeau--well probably mostly Mulcair actually--will look like the smart ones.

Then again, maybe we'll have functioning democracies in Iraq and Syria by election time, and Harper will look like the smart one.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Time will tell. Personally, I think this whole ISIS thing is going to go sideways, and then Trudeau--well probably mostly Mulcair actually--will look like the smart ones.

Then again, maybe we'll have functioning democracies in Iraq and Syria by election time, and Harper will look like the smart one.

Sideways? How so?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
CBC says "Unfortunate comment", lmao!

Funny, a goof pretending to be a statesman, and a news agency pretending to be objective, all in one short clip.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

Well Saudi, UAE and other were beating on Obama's door to support a group. Qatar has openly allowed fund rasining for Al Nusra( Al Qaeda), since scaled back by US pressure.
A number of Arab countries have recalled their diplomats from Qatar who gives the Muslim Brotherhood a place to stay, raise funds and such.

Iran is supporting Assad and with troops in Iraq at this time.
Turkey is waiting for Kobani to fall, then they may establish a safe zone inside Syria and move refugees there- changing the ethnic balance from majority Kurdish who will not meet Turkey demands to enter the civil war against Assad. And and area that supports the PKK.

Turkey for the past few years has been negotiating with the PKK, who will follow Abdullah Ocalan and what he states.

So fukal can go wrong only if we stay with air support, weapons to the Kurds, I am fine with that.
And watch Iraq split along religious lines. And I am fine with a new state, Kurdistan.

Let Saudi, Egypt, Turkey and others shed their blood in the sands.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Actually, Justin has a wealth of talents well suited to the food service industry.

But for his name and wealth, he could be a barn-burner behind the counter at Burger King.

They might even let him wear the crown.

I am less and less worried that this ignorant man-child will ever be PM.

He is toast in 2015.

Four more years of Conservative rule.

You have far too much faith in the Canadian electorate. I suspect he will mobilize the hipster vote who, instead of actually voting, usually stays in coffee shops using free wifi to tweet about how horrible the current government is to actually go out and cast a ballot based upon his good looks and charm.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
You have far too much faith in the Canadian electorate. I suspect he will mobilize the hipster vote who, instead of actually voting, usually stays in coffee shops using free wifi to tweet about how horrible the current government is to actually go out and cast a ballot based upon his good looks and charm.

My opinion- people are turning or ignoring these gaffes due to the high popularity and or personal respect they have for Harper.