Justin Trudeau gets apology from Sun Media

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Sun Media Corp. is apologizing to Justin Trudeau for a rant against the Liberal leader by on-air personality Ezra Levant.

"It is the view of Sun News that this segment was in poor taste and should not have been aired. We understand why many viewers found both the content and language of this segment to be offensive," according to a statement posted on its website.

"We apologize to Mr. Trudeau, his family and to our viewers."

Levant made no mention of the subject in the opening monologue of his 8 p.m. ET Sun News Network show.

"We accept Sun News' apology," Trudeau's spokeswoman Kate Purchase said in an emailed statement.

"We look forward to Sun News journalists resuming participation in Mr. Trudeau's press conferences."

The Sun News Network host was in hot water for an on-air tirade over a photo of Trudeau kissing a Toronto-area bride on the cheek as her bridesmaids looked on.

In his monologue, Levant maligned Trudeau for the kiss, suggesting he'd forced himself on the wedding party. He also slurred Trudeau's mother, Margaret, and his late father, former prime minister Pierre Trudeau.

The bride and her father-in-law stated publicly that they requested Trudeau to pose for photos, and also asked that he kiss the bride. They said Trudeau got the groom's OK before planting the kiss.

As a result of Levant's comments, Trudeau had said he would no longer speak to Sun Media reporters until there was an appropriate response from the chain, Canada's largest newspaper publisher.

A video of the rant — and a column repeating many of the same slurs against Trudeau — was still on Levant's blog as of late Monday afternoon. Levant did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

Justin Trudeau gets apology from Sun Media - Politics - CBC News

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
When I see Sun Media I think of the Sun newspaper. I suspect I am lucky I don't pick up Sun TV as it would likely be painful intellectually to watch.

And I'm not to familiar with this Ezra Levant.

All I know is the Sun newspaper is mainly car ads and sports and I rarely see one in public.

I did find this rant on Sun Media which may help others understand some of where they are going...........

[start quote]

Far be it from me, a lowly consumer of all kinds of news, to tell you how wrong you are- on just about everything. (And, apparently fake (link is external). )

But lets concentrate on the current Sun News poster child for wrong, Ezra Levant. Same dude who ran his own creation, the Western Standard into the dumper. Currently the WS publishes (link is external) online only, every two weeks.

It has also lost the whole conservative schtick, and looks to be more Libertarian. (contrarian)

But back to the guy who was censured for blatant racism (link is external) (even on your network) and has been caught just being a complete waste of skin on oh so many occasions. His defense of racism in the name of "free speech" has never failed to amuse or elicit eyerolling from all of us in the Batcave.

Anyone recall what EL said in from of a US committee on civil liberties? You will find it here (link is external), careful wading in however, as no detergent will get all that hypocrisy tinged bull**** out of your clothes.

How about making fun of a man who has just passed, while so many were in a state of shock and grief? And then on the anniversary of Layton's death, Ezra and that other nitwit Michael Coren, just sat and behaved like a couple beer guzzling hyenas. Shameful stuff. (link is external)

How about the "threats" against that other paragon of Conservative nastiness, Ann Coulter? (link is external)

Ezra was invited last year to speak in a small community in BC, and that was cancelled. The organization that did the invitin' is also on life support and everyone (link is external)I have spoken to about it was outraged. One of the organizations volunteers were even heard distancing themselves from the "Provacatalks" and their own magazine in a phone conversation I had with her. Heh. Sleeping with idiots, will give you a bad case of stoopid. And unsold memberships apparently.

Ethical Oil. Oh yes. How to spin one of the biggest disaters on the planet to make it sound good. Some bought it. Most know it for what it is.

The latest spittle filled rant against Justin Trudeau where Ezra unloaded his Trudeau derangement syndrome was just another day for you, wasn't it? Ho hum.

Ezra thinks he is being "provocative". Other people just think he is an asshat. For being an asshat's sake.

It is more about attention isn't it? I mean, Sun News is not taken seriously by anyone who actually follows politics and understands them. Sun News is sort of like the class clown, but a mean stupid one. There is no cleverness or edginess.

But at Sun News, you do appeal to the lowest common denominator.

And this, is the part that truly bothers me. You attract some souls who find it easier to hate and believe the lies than to think for themselves after looking at things from different angles. You legitimize hate. You dilute what is truly important for Canadians with whatever you decide is the "outrage" of the day. Your "hosts" have nothing but complete contempt for anyone who is struggling in this economy and you are on your knees performing service to the rich and the powerful.

And that I guess is the whole drive.

One only has to look at the comments sections on your online "articles" to know that it is far worse than the youtube comment sections. That, is not an easy feat. Virtual crayon scrawled screeds against morals and decency are just an average day at Sun News. And TRUDEAU!

Why do Sun News and Quebecor hate Canada- and Canadians so much? So much that you want to mold us into a subsidiary of the United states?

Money. Greed, and a complete disregard for anything that resembles truth. And no matter what you say about the "free market"? There you are, corporate welfare bums with your hat out anyway. (link is external)

I wish all politicians and advertisers would stop cavorting with Sun News. It is hurting us all in so many ways. We have no need for FOX news, and I always wish that the rest of the media would stop and use the gifts they are given (link is external) to actually work for the betterment of us all.

PS. Fox News fans are the least informed about news in the US (link is external). The Daily show and Colbert do a better job.

[end quote]

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I'm glad it was near the beginning because what's really painful intellectually is reading your complete posts, which I can never do.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Yes Walter, we are all aware how 'intellectually painful' it is for you to read past the first sentence.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I think one thing that may be missed on this forum is that Sun News is completely irrelevant. I'm not sure what the average age of the forum regulars here is but I suspect it's somewhere north of 50. Younger generations (aka the future) are not the least bit interested in TV news (and particularly SunTV). I asked my 17 year old daughters a while back, if they've ever watched it (we were discussing social studies and current events). They hadn't even heard of it. Some of the more conspiracy minded might suggest the left wing teachers won't talk about a conservative minded media source but the reality is, kids aren't interested. Sun News is selling their product to a (literally and figuratively) dying market. Ezra and the rest of the kooks on the Sun station are just not as important in the real world as they seem to be here.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I think one thing that may be missed on this forum is that Sun News is completely irrelevant. I'm not sure what the average age of the forum regulars here is but I suspect it's somewhere north of 50. Younger generations (aka the future) are not the least bit interested in TV news (and particularly SunTV). I asked my 17 year old daughters a while back, if they've ever watched it (we were discussing social studies and current events). They hadn't even heard of it. Some of the more conspiracy minded might suggest the left wing teachers won't talk about a conservative minded media source but the reality is, kids aren't interested. Sun News is selling their product to a (literally and figuratively) dying market. Ezra and the rest of the kooks on the Sun station are just not as important in the real world as they seem to be here.

Since it is a Toronto rag there lots of people that never heard of it. No relation to the Vancouver Sun whch everyone in BC knows.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Sun Media Corp. is apologizing to Justin Trudeau for a rant against the Liberal leader by on-air personality Ezra Levant.

"It is the view of Sun News that this segment was in poor taste and should not have been aired. We understand why many viewers found both the content and language of this segment to be offensive," according to a statement posted on its website.

"We apologize to Mr. Trudeau, his family and to our viewers."

Levant made no mention of the subject in the opening monologue of his 8 p.m. ET Sun News Network show.

"We accept Sun News' apology," Trudeau's spokeswoman Kate Purchase said in an emailed statement.

"We look forward to Sun News journalists resuming participation in Mr. Trudeau's press conferences."

The Sun News Network host was in hot water for an on-air tirade over a photo of Trudeau kissing a Toronto-area bride on the cheek as her bridesmaids looked on.

In his monologue, Levant maligned Trudeau for the kiss, suggesting he'd forced himself on the wedding party. He also slurred Trudeau's mother, Margaret, and his late father, former prime minister Pierre Trudeau.

The bride and her father-in-law stated publicly that they requested Trudeau to pose for photos, and also asked that he kiss the bride. They said Trudeau got the groom's OK before planting the kiss.

As a result of Levant's comments, Trudeau had said he would no longer speak to Sun Media reporters until there was an appropriate response from the chain, Canada's largest newspaper publisher.

A video of the rant — and a column repeating many of the same slurs against Trudeau — was still on Levant's blog as of late Monday afternoon. Levant did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

Justin Trudeau gets apology from Sun Media - Politics - CBC News

Levant did not apologize.

He should have.

That said, now Trudeau will take questions from Sun??

My, that will be a refreshing change!!

lol

Actually, you will get more debate, more insight, and more actual information on things that matter from Sun News TV than from the CBC.

Never watched it, have you??

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I know eh?

Dem Liberals are known for being the most stubborn of the political bunch.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Since it is a Toronto rag there lots of people that never heard of it. No relation to the Vancouver Sun whch everyone in BC knows.
My comment was about Sun TV.

Actually, you will get more debate, more insight, and more actual information on things that matter from Sun News TV than from the CBC.

...says the fan of Sun TV

Never watched it, have you??

Yup, ocassionally....about as much as I watch CBC which is to say, not much. I consider myself part of the younger generation that isn't in to TV news...er....entertainment channels.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yup, ocassionally....about as much as I watch CBC which is to say, not much. I consider myself part of the younger generation that isn't in to TV news...er....entertainment channels.

Which begs the question: where DO you get your news information??

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
As do I.

Mostly on-line newspapers....the National Post, Globe and Mail.....and many, many commentary sites.

But you gotta read both sides.

Everything is biased to one extent or the other.

To call Sun TV one of the sides is laughable. It really isn't much different than the national inquirer. Anything of value they might have to say can be found elsewhere minus the childishness.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
To call Sun TV one of the sides is laughable. It really isn't much different than the national inquirer. Anything of value they might have to say can be found elsewhere minus the childishness.

Simply because you have been entirely brainwashed by the "progressive" mantra.

Really.

I do not watch Sun TV more than CBC.

They are both biased, in different ways.

But Sun has much more debate and coverage of what matters.....very little sports, entertainment, or social gossip BS, much more concentration on hard news.

There is a lot of significant issue-based coverage on Sun that CBC would not touch with a 10 foot pole.

That you can not tell the difference between a serious discussion of the issues and the "National Inquirer" says more about you than about Sun TV

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
SUN is to Canadian news what RT is to Russian news--basically an extension of the party, fawning over the leader and virulently attacking everyine else. CBC is way to naval-gazing for me.

I quite like the National Post these days actually. And the Economist.