So, Liberals: "Responsibility to Protect"?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
In 2000, to their credit, the Liberal gov't of Canada established the International Commission on Intervention and State Sovereignty.

The Commission established the concept of the "Responsibility to Protect" civilians in any nation in a sincere attempt to create a framework in international law that would demand intervention in murderous crisis such as the Rwandan genocide.

In 2005, at the United Nations World Summit, where the largest number of heads of state and government in the history of the UN convened, the Responsibility to Protect was unanimously adopted.

On 12 January 2009, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon issued a report entitled Implementing the Responsibility to Protect. The report was the first comprehensive document from the UN Secretariat on the Responsibility to Protect, following Ban's stated commitment to turn the concept into policy. The Secretary General's report set the tone and the direction for the discussion on the subject at the UN. The report proposes three-pillar approach to the R2P:

• Pillar One stresses that states have the primary responsibility to protect their populations from genocide, war crimes, ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity.

• Pillar Two addresses the international community's commitment to help states build capacity to protect their populations from genocide, war crimes, ethnic cleansing, and crimes against humanity—and help those under stress before crises and conflicts break out.

• Pillar Three focuses on the responsibility of international community to act in a timely and decisive way to prevent and halt genocide, ethnic cleansing, war crimes, and crimes against humanity when a state manifestly fails to protect its populations.
Responsibility to protect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (my emphasis)

Now, Justin Trudeau discounts ANY combat role for Canadians in Iraq and Syria against ISIS, who are currently in the process of eliminating any and all religions factions that do not agree with their particular interpretation of the murderous cult called Islam. This despite the fact the Liberal-loved United Nations has declared the highest level of emergency in Iraq, and clearly stated that ISIS is involved in widespread mass murder.

So, Liberals..........is Mr. Fluffy Head out of line, or is the Liberal Party of Canada yet again proving they are only capable of self-righteous yapping, but hide when push comes to shove.....???

Will the unfortunate peoples of the world repeat Robert Kennedy's observation about Liberal Canada??

"Canada has given us all support short of help."

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Now, Justin Trudeau discounts ANY combat role for Canadians in Iraq and Syria against ISIS, who are currently in the process of eliminating any and all religions factions that do not agree with their particular interpretation of the murderous cult called Islam. This despite the fact the Liberal-loved United Nations has declared the highest level of emergency in Iraq, and clearly stated that ISIS is involved in widespread mass murder.

So, Liberals..........is Mr. Fluffy Head out of line, or is the Liberal Party of Canada yet again proving they are only capable of self-righteous yapping, but hide when push comes to shove.....???

Will the unfortunate peoples of the world repeat Robert Kennedy's observation about Liberal Canada??

"Canada has given us all support short of help."

Too bad Bobby was speaking of PC Canada, specifically Diefenbaker's challenging the evidence of Soviet missiles in Cuba. The breach between the two countries was healed by Pearson, the Liberal.

Here's the lowdown:

In 1962 the Kennedy administration discovered that the Russians were installing missiles
in Cuba capable of hitting North America. The United States moved to a war footing and
the ominous Thirteen Days of October ensued. Of all the American allies, only the
Diefenbaker Government of Canada contested the evidence of the Kennedy
administration and there was initial confusion about whether Canada had placed its armed
forces on full alert. Robert Kennedy opined, “Canada has given us all support short of
help.” The retribution was political, not economic. In 1963 the White House issued a
press release which flatly contradicted statements of Mr. Diefenbaker on nuclear policy
and this event precipitated a Cabinet crisis which eventually brought down the
Diefenbaker government in a parliamentary vote. Had Diefenbaker been re-elected, a
crisis in Canada-America relations might have erupted but Lester Pearson’s Liberals won
on a platform to accept nuclear weapons for Canada’s forces in NORAD and NATO.
McGeorge Bundy, the National Security Advisor for Kennedy, often joked that he had
brought down a government with a press release and the Kennedy-Diefenbaker imbroglio
continues to be the nadir in Canada-U.S. relations.

http://www.cdfai.org/PDF/Unwilling%20To%20Be%20Willing.pdf

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Chances are, Trudeau is just being a politician and opposing the policies of an opponent. It's a very safe narrative: conservative warmonger vs. liberal peacenik. It's much tidier than the opposite one: liberal nation-builder vs. not-my-problem conservative. He probably thinks it'll be a good wedge issue.

But maybe he might have principles (Liberal Party leader, I know, but hear me out). American intervention in a Middle Eastern country isn't protecting anybody. It doesn't work. It's helped create the very threat they want to protect people from, not to mention it just tends to kill those people in the process. Maybe our responsibility to protect obligates us to stop the United States from starting another disastrous misadventure in the Middle East.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
It's news to me that the Liberals have discounted any combat role against ISIS. the last I heard they were trying to find out what exactly the Canadian role against ISIS was going to be--which the Conservatvies don't seem to want to share.

Anyways, the NDP has discounted any combat role, and I support them. Support the Kurds, join any multi-national response if there is genocide, boost domestic security against Islamists and otherwise let the Muslims get on with killing each other. This convulsion of barba5rity has been decades in the making.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Interesting, I wonder then under what conditions Colpy would you not approve of the do-gooders at UN intervening in the affairs of a sovereign state? When "a State manifestly fails to protect it's populations." Think about how broad that is.

For example, to use a current affair in the news, Aboriginal women. The liberal folks in Parliament made lots of news over the summer about this. Others rightly showed that this issue has been studied, very in-depth. A new commission would be a waste of time and other resources. But has anything changed? So...should the UN be allowed to intervene?

I think not.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's news to me that the Liberals have discounted any combat role against ISIS. the last I heard they were trying to find out what exactly the Canadian role against ISIS was going to be--which the Conservatvies don't seem to want to share.
Funny, I've known what our role was since the boots left the ground here. They're there as advisors.

It's no secret. Would you like to see the Google search for it?

Maybe you and the rest of the drama makers could stick to reality, that would be really cool, lolz

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Interesting, I wonder then under what conditions Colpy would you not approve of the do-gooders at UN intervening in the affairs of a sovereign state? When "a State manifestly fails to protect it's populations." Think about how broad that is.

For example, to use a current affair in the news, Aboriginal women. The liberal folks in Parliament made lots of news over the summer about this. Others rightly showed that this issue has been studied, very in-depth. A new commission would be a waste of time and other resources. But has anything changed? So...should the UN be allowed to intervene?

I think not.
I suggest a protective intervention force drawn from the armies of Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, Turkey, Egypt, and Tunisia.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Anyways, the NDP has discounted any combat role, and I support them. Support the Kurds, join any multi-national response if there is genocide, boost domestic security against Islamists and otherwise let the Muslims get on with killing each other. This convulsion of barba5rity has been decades in the making.

Canadians don’t want combat role in Iraq, Trudeau says - The Globe and Mail

Over two weeks ago.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Liberals. Conservatives. Left wingers . Right wingers. Republitards. Libtards. We sure love to dehumanize each other don't we. We put hats on each other. Tags. We're not individuals,,,we're all objects of others opinions. We're part of a classification. Cogs of a certain brand. Nothing ever changes. Same ole **** day in and day out. That's why I love to tune it all out and listen to music. Hopefully that mindset won't infect good tunes and other things that are beautiful.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Indeed. Thats my problem with it. Lack of consistency. There are at least a dozen countries that are in that sort of situation. Several in our hemisphere.