Bachman backtracks after criticizing PM

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Dean Skoreyko ‏@bcbluecon

Washed-up rock star has to admit he was wrong smearing Harper

OTTAWA -- Winnipeg-born performer Randy Bachman backtracked Monday after lashing out at Prime Minister Stephen Harper for using one of BTO's songs at a political rally.

Harper used Takin' Care of Business by Bachman Turner Overdrive as his exit music Monday after delivering a rallying speech to the Conservative caucus at the Ottawa Convention Centre ahead of the return of Parliament.

Bachman initially told the Huffington Post Harper hadn't asked for permission to use Takin' Care of Business and that had he asked, the answer likely would have been no. Bachman is upset Harper hasn't stepped in to support musicians in a fight with the Copyright Board of Canada over royalty fees for digital-music streaming.

Bachman and his representatives didn't respond to requests for interviews but he took to Twitter Monday night to acknowledge his criticism of Harper was misplaced.

"Was wrong to imply @PMHarper did not correctly license use of my song," Bachman tweeted. "It was in a SOCAN licensed facility so it was covered."

But he is still upset about the royalties.

boo hoo

Bachman backtracks after criticizing PM - Winnipeg Free Press

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Buying a 5 pack of dollarama CDs gives Harper, or you or me use of copyrighted music to use at will if not making money from it. If Bachman is upset he can apply for the fraction of a penny he is entitled to from The Copyright Board of Canada.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
It's a geat show. He didn't spend the entire 70s wasted, so he actually remembers everything. He's met and has a story about just about everyone in the business too.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I also think he has the right to support whatever party he sees fit. If he doesn't want Harper using his music that is his prerogative, although he should do his homework before making accusations of unauthorized use.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Bit of a slap in the face when the party that screwed you in royalty negotiations turns around and uses your song for political gain. Can't blame him for speaking up.

Mind you, Taking Care of Business is pretty apt for the Conservatives.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I like the Guess Who over BTO.

Me too. But I'll be honest I am not big on the Hippy Stuff.

I understand its place, but I always liked harder edged rock n roll like Led Zeppelin.

But that aside, Randy Bachman is a musician who's grasp of music is excellent.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hippy stuff probably explains why songwriting went to pot under the BTO banner. Musically it's great but lyrics were iffy.