Justin Trudeau says abortion rights trump MPs' freedom to vote their conscience

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Like a boss.

Justin Trudeau says abortion rights trump MPs' freedom to vote their conscience

Women’s reproductive rights trump the freedom of Liberal members of parliament to vote their conscience on abortion, Justin Trudeau said, adding that it’s time that his party “actually defended rights.”

“I have had a lot of Liberals come up to me and say, 'I don’t quite understand, isn’t the Liberal party about freedom and about defending people’s rights?'" Trudeau said in an interview with CBC’s The Sunday Edition with Michael Enright.

“Absolutely it is. And the rights that women have fought for over decades to be in control of their own bodies and to control their own reproductive health is not a right I’m going to brush aside to defend the freedom of speech or the freedom to vote a particular way for an MP."

Trudeau has said that any Liberal MP, regardless of their personal beliefs, would have to vote against any proposed legislation that could limit a woman’s right to an abortion.

“If they vote in favour of restricting women's access to abortion, that’s taking away their rights. And that is something that we will not accept in the Liberal party. We are the party of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and that’s a serious, serious position that Liberals have to defend.

"It’s time the Liberal party actually defended rights,” he said.

Asked if his pro-choice policy would essentially kiss off the Catholic vote, Trudeau said that he too is Catholic, and that lots of Catholics were upset when previous Liberal governments legalized divorce and decriminalized homosexuality.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/j...ps-freedom-to-vote-their-conscience-1.2763647

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
After a certain timeframe in any given term no doctor will perform an abortion because of the neurological development of the fetus.

The definition of what is a 'human' unfortunately skews the debate, when the focus should be on a being's capacity for suffering and the consequences of the choice made to terminate or keep it.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
That didn't take long.

A Fetus isn't a Human Being and Human Rights are given to Human Beings.... look it up.

Everything else beyond that is trumped by the above.

Yes, I think we are all aware that a fetus is not legally a human being. Thanks for coming. Now, maybe you should run along and let the adults talk

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
That didn't take long.

A Fetus isn't a Human Being and Human Rights are given to Human Beings.... look it up.

Everything else beyond that is trumped by the above.

Bullshyte.

There is no right for a woman to have an abortion. It simply does not exist in Canadian jurisprudence, nor in any tradition of English common law.

Look it up.

After a certain timeframe in any given term no doctor will perform an abortion because of the neurological development of the fetus.

The definition of what is a 'human' unfortunately skews the debate, when the focus should be on a being's capacity for suffering and the consequences of the choice made to terminate or keep it.

Bullshyte.

There are doctors willing to do late term abortion. This unicorn-and-butterflies view of the world is simply outrageously niave.

Joseph Megele was a doctor.

So was Harold Shipman.

So is Kermit Grosnell.

Look it up.

Hey I'm all for abortion, let start with Justin Trudeau.

Now I don't approve personally of terminating politicians I don't agree with, but I would never try to restrict your right to do so.....

Justin currently would be in his 177th trimester........I guess that is late-term.

(apologies to Ann Coulter)

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
This is Trudeau trolling. He knows that if it becomes a national campaign issue it is one that Harper cannot win. Harper won't take the bait, or at least won't like to.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Jesus, is that how leadership works? Once your party elects you you tell them "you are no longer the party. I am the party"

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Today’s letters: Late-term abortions are not happening in Canada without a ‘reason’

Re: Waiting For An Abortion Law, editorial, Feb. 2.

On Twitter, Jonathan Kay (the Post’s Managing Editor Comment) stated: “If you can find an incorrect sentence in this editorial, identify it.” The misleading sentence is: “It is perfectly legal in Canada to have or perform an abortion — for any reason, or no reason at all — at 20, 25, 30 or 35 weeks gestation.”

I am totally fed up with “lawyered” assertions that totally misrepresent the facts. While in Canada we do not have a law, we do have very strict professional guidelines. No physician in Canada can terminate a pregnancy over 24 weeks without serious indications that the life of the mother is at risk or that the fetus has very serious malformations. I have sat with these women as they received the terrible news and sat with them throughout the terrible long, tear-drenched process. The assertion that late-term abortions can be performed “for any reason, or no reason at all” is just not true.

I challenge Mr. Kay to find one late-term abortion performed in Canada to a healthy mother with a healthy fetus. I am one of many politicians “willing to tackle” this subject. He needs to be one of many journalists who are prepared to admit when their fine prose may have misled Canadians … in this case that late-trimester abortions are not happening in Canada without “reason.”

Today’s letters: Late-term abortions are not happening in Canada without a ‘reason’

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It's his "right" to execute politicians, that's why you're saying here?

In the same way it is a "right" to have an abortion.

In other words, neither is a right.

And speaking of simpletons, don't ya just love Colpy's posts. I swear if that man thought for two seconds before he posted, he'd scrap half his posts

If you were capable of thought, you'd scrap 90% of your posts.

Re: Waiting For An Abortion Law, editorial, Feb. 2.

On Twitter, Jonathan Kay (the Post’s Managing Editor Comment) stated: “If you can find an incorrect sentence in this editorial, identify it.” The misleading sentence is: “It is perfectly legal in Canada to have or perform an abortion — for any reason, or no reason at all — at 20, 25, 30 or 35 weeks gestation.”

I am totally fed up with “lawyered” assertions that totally misrepresent the facts. While in Canada we do not have a law, we do have very strict professional guidelines. No physician in Canada can terminate a pregnancy over 24 weeks without serious indications that the life of the mother is at risk or that the fetus has very serious malformations. I have sat with these women as they received the terrible news and sat with them throughout the terrible long, tear-drenched process. The assertion that late-term abortions can be performed “for any reason, or no reason at all” is just not true.

I challenge Mr. Kay to find one late-term abortion performed in Canada to a healthy mother with a healthy fetus. I am one of many politicians “willing to tackle” this subject. He needs to be one of many journalists who are prepared to admit when their fine prose may have misled Canadians … in this case that late-trimester abortions are not happening in Canada without “reason.”

HOW WOULD HE KNOW???

Would the woman seeking the late-term abortion call the Medical Association and complain?/

Give it a break.....this is a doctor claiming doctors never act outside of professional guidelines.

Right.

Oh....and if it is NEVER done without good reason (define "good reason"), why is everyone so upset at the idea of a law restricting late term abortion without "good reason"??

To be entertained by the simpletons. I thought I've made that quite clear.

You must have a mirror in your bathroom.....

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Justin's imcompetent.. morally and intellectually for the post of Prime Minister. He's a first class Fool.

He belongs on a Commune.. i don't know why he hasn't taken Timothy Leary's advice and just.. Turned on, Tuned in.. and Dropped Out. But even there i doubt they could proclaim murdering unborn children is a 'right'. :roll:

Last edited:

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
This isn't a jab at Justin, but when should any issue trump an MP's freedom to vote their conscience? Do we not live in a democracy? No politician should be made to vote against their conscience regardless of party.

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
Funny.

You're not allowed to choose who gets a choice unless it's yours to choose the choice....or something like that.

That's effed up thinking there Justin.