Canada's inequality growing: Stats Can

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Canada's inequality growing: Stats Can

The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer in Canada, a new analysis of Statistics Canada data by an Ottawa-based think tank shows.

The study found that, much like the income gap, Canada’s wealth gap is also widening, the Broadbent Institute said in a statement Thursday.

“With much of the public debate focused on the growing problem of income inequality, wealth inequality has been less scrutinized,” said Rick Smith, executive director of the Ottawa based think tank, which describes itself as progressive.

Wealth is a broader measure than income because it takes into account all assets, including housing and investment, minus debts, the institute said.

“Contrary to rosy reports of rising net worth and a post-recession recovery, these new numbers sound the alarm on Canada’s wealth inequality problem,” Smith said.

The top 10 per cent of Canadians have seen their median net worth grow by 42 per cent since 2005 to $2.1 million in 2012, the study found.

Meanwhile, the bottom 10 per cent of Canadians saw their median net worth shrink by 150 per cent. In 2012, their debts outweighed their assets by $5,100. That was worse than in 2005, when they owed $2,000 more than they owned, the study said.

“Looking at this broad picture of wealth using new Statistics Canada data released to the Broadbent institute, this report shows deep and persistent inequality,” the institute said Thursday.

“This unequal distribution — particularly for the wealthiest and poorest 10 per cent segments of the population — challenges the narrative that suggests Canadians are getting wealthier across the board,” the study found.

Even more striking is the fact the bottom 50 per cent of Canadians own just 6 per cent of the wealth, while the bottom 30 per cent own just 1 per cent, the institute said.

By province, the concentration of wealth was highest in British Columbia, at 56.2 per cent, and lowest in Atlantic Canada, at 31.7 per cent.

The Broadbent report is based on Statistics Canada’s Survey of Financial Security, which was released in February, 2014.

Statistics Canada found the median net worth of Canadian families had risen 44.5 per cent since 2005 to $243,800 in 2012.

Looking at the top 20 per cent and bottom 20 per cent, the federal agency also found the wealth gap had widened.

The Broadbent Institute found the gap was even more pronounced after it asked Statistics Canada to further subdivide the population into 10ths.

The report comes amid growing concern about widening income inequality in many industrialized countries, including Canada.

The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development has commented on the issue, saying countries need to rethink their tax policies to make them more distributive.

The International Monetary Fund has also looked at the topic, saying the growing imbalance could threaten future economic growth.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/busi.../11/rich_gaining_more_wealth_study_shows.html

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Nah, he just likes the fact that he can blame Harper.

I heard an overview of this earlier on the radio. One of their 'model' systems they referred to were the Atlantic provinces. .. interestingly enough, Broadbent Institute forget to mention that these provinces all depend on transfer payments in addition to steep tax rates

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Maybe the poor should think about getting a job instead of protesting against economic drivers.
Sure , if there are jobs to be had.
Some statements are so easy to say
Especially when one has a job

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I only bullsh*t and sugarcoat when I'm paid.

Funny... That's what you're doing now.

Lemme ask you this: Is this 'gap' the fault of private business?.. Perhaps, the marginal tax rates need to be more like that in France (75% rate on income over 1 million)?

Will that forever eliminate this problem and the nation can move forward on an even stronger econ base?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Funny... That's what you're doing now.
It is? Do tell.

Lemme ask you this: Is this 'gap' the fault of private business?
Partially

.. Perhaps, the marginal tax rates need to be more like that in France (75% rate on income over 1 million)?
If that's what y'all want to do, go for it. I don't pay taxes in Canada.

Will that forever eliminate this problem and the nation can move forward on an even stronger econ base?
Almost certainly not, but why don't you give it a shot?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Wow... You're one sensitive dude. All I did was ask a few questions.

If you are ill prepared to answer those questions, then it is not my problem if folks believe that an implication on your position is implied

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We all have the same money making capabilities.All you have to do to get rich in life is show up, eat right, exercise, pay attention and stay away from the people with low testoterone and high oxytocin or you become one.