Ukraine and Russia make progress on ceasefire

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Today we're close to war, tomorrow we're close to a ceasefire.

Ukraine crisis: Ceasefire agreement reached, Poroshenko says

The office of Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said Wednesday that he and Russian President Vladimir Putin have reached agreement on a ceasefire in eastern Ukraine, but there was no immediate indication that the fighting would stop.

The brief statement said "mutual understanding was reached regarding the steps that will contribute to the establishment of peace" but gave no details.

"The result of the conversation was agreement on a permanent ceasefire in the Donbass," the statement said, using the collective term for the eastern Ukraine regions.

Vladimir Antyfeyev, a senior leader of the Russia-backed rebels whom Ukrainian forces have been fighting since April, told The Associated Press he could not say whether the separatists would adhere to a ceasefire because he was not commanding the forces. "But I definitely welcome this," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/world/ukraine-crisis-ceasefire-agreement-reached-poroshenko-says-1.2753912

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Isn'tthis kind of what Hitler did? Talk of reunification and all that--"OK we're done now, no need to worry about us, just wanted our land back" and then marched into Poland?

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Apparently though, we have to spend billions to get ready for this war....so says Colpy and NATO.

And me. Putin will move in the North. And not's that we should spend billions just because of that, we should spend billions because we are a rich country adn we have systematically under-resourced our military, in my opinion.

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
And me. Putin will move in the North. And not's that we should spend billions just because of that, we should spend billions because we are a rich country adn we have systematically under-resourced our military, in my opinion.

Military for what?

I know a dude in our military, wanna talk waste?

How about being more efficient instead of pouring more money into it.

It's a con thing, money for the poor....who cares...money for military; well I saw this movie once where they made a giant robot and it was called pacific rim, I want that....oh and btw , I don't want one single increase in tax to pay for it.

Why, because cowards never want to sacrifice anything.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Military for what?

I know a dude in our military, wanna talk waste?

How about being more efficient instead of pouring more money into it.

It's a con thing, money for the poor....who cares...money for military; well I saw this movie once where they made a giant robot and it was called pacific rim, I want that....oh and btw , I don't want one single increase in tax to pay for it.

Why, because cowards never want to sacrifice anything.

We have been fortunate enough to have lived under the nuclear umbrella provided by the USA, and our NATO allies. We have not paid our share in 50 years, ever sice we elected that scumball, Trudeau the Elder.

You and the other "progressives" on these threads are exactly the equivalent of the "peace at any cost" crew in Europe between the wars. They, at least, had a damned good excuse: having sacrificed an entire generation in a pointless meatgrinder of a war between 1914 and 1918, they simply could not bring themselves to resist the rise of Germany in the 1930s.

How did that work out for them??

A few things you learn through a cursory examination of modern history:

1. Appeasement of expansionist tyrants is a strategic mistake.

2. Wars start when the trigger-lines are not clearly understood.

3. If you want peace, prepare for war.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
We have been fortunate enough to have lived under the nuclear umbrella provided by the USA, and our NATO allies. We have not paid our share in 50 years, ever sice we elected that scumball, Trudeau the Elder.

Wait, weren't you just telling me how stalwart and excellent the Canadian squaddie is, so very, very much better than the dumb Yanks?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Oh for God's sake before this is over the Russians, Americans, Brits, French and the civilized world
will be openly fighting the Muslim world. ISIS demonstrates the next fascist threat religion is the
avenue of the Zealot and there is no turning back. Each day we watch while the thugs take more land
kill more women and children and still we talk about how we might find some measure to stop their
advance. There is a way Air, Sea and land bombardment with troops on the ground where ever they
pop up. The time has come to wake up and understand moderate Muslims will stand up and be
counted or lumped in with those who want to do us harm.
The time has come to say Enough is Enough

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
http://www.vineyardsaker.co.nz/
Thursday, September 4, 2014

September 4th 23:53 UTC/ZULU Ukraine SITREP: Maybe, just maybe?

Many major developments to report today. First, though I was trying very hard to contain my excitement over the past days, the level of success the Novorussian Armed Forces (NAF) against the Junta Repression Forces (JRF) appears to be absolutely amazing and, should Mariupol fall, which appears to be likely, I would speak of a strategic victory, something which I am normally extremely reluctant to do, especially when speaking to a force which only recently was a volunteer militia force. How could that possibly have happened?
Military situation:

I think that there is a second expression which now can be used without exaggeration: all the signs are that the JRF have reached their breaking point: this is the moment when a military force suddenly and completely collapses, like a damn which blows out under the pressure of water. The JRF is not retreating on one, two or even three directions, it is retreating everywhere (except north of Lugansk). Entire battalions are leaving the front under orders of their battalion commanders and without the approval of the Junta leaders. At least one such battalion commander is already being judged for desertion. The entire Ukie leadership seems to be in a panic mode, especially Iatseniuk and Kolomoiski, while the Nazis are mad as hell at the Poroshenko administration. There are constant rumors of an anti-Poroshenko coup by outraged Nazi nationalists. And then, there are the absolutely staggering Ukrainian losses. There is one such list which I reader sent me who, according to my reader, was published on Zero Hedge, but I could not find it there. I did find it here though:
Ukrainian forces casualties and losses 2 May - 21 August
Casualties
Total: 32.702
Dead and wounded: 20.274
Prisoner, deserters and missing: 12.418
Destroyed or captured materiel:
I. Aviation
Attack
- 16 Su-25 (one captured 7 July)
Bomber
- 7 Su-24
Fighter
- 2 MiG-29
Recon
- 1 AN-30
- 6 drones
Transport
- 2 AN-26
- 2 IL 76
I.a Helicopters
- 20 attack and transport Mi-24, Mi-17 y Mi-8
II. Ground forces materiel
Tanks Total: 347 ( 68 captured )
- 319 T-64 ( 65 captured )
- 2 T-64 Bulat
- 7 T-72 ( 3 captured )
- 19 T-84-U Oplot
Armored vehicles Total: 602 ( 119 captured )
- 163 BMP Infantry Fighting Vehicle, tracked ( 69 capturados )
- 125 BMD IFV Paratroopers, tracked ( 9 captured )
- 312 BTR Armored Personnel Carrier, wheeled ( 39 captured )
- 2 BRDM Scout Vehicle, wheeled ( 2 captured )
Artillery Total: 180 ( 122 captured pieces )
- 4 SO-203 2S7 "Pion" 203mm
- 5 SAU 2S3 "Acacia" 152mm (1 captured )
- 30 SAU 122 2S1 Gvozdika 122mm ( 25 captured )
- 2 Mortars 2S4 Tyulpan 240mm(2 captured
- 6 Mortars SAU Nona 120mm (6 captured )
- 21 Antiaircraft guns ZU 23-2 ( 18 captured )
- 24 Rocket launcher Grad 122mm ( 24 captured )
- 11 Rocket launcher Uragan 220mm (4 captured )
- 45 howitzer D-30 122mm ( 10 captured )
- 32 mortars82mm ( 32 captured )
Trucks and cars Total: 153 (124 captured )
- 5 Hummer
- Jeep
- 25-66 GaZ
- Staff car
- Mobile crane
- 1 ZIL 131
- 2 KrAZ
- 58 Ural trucks
- 69 Kamaz trucks
- 4 UAZ 469
Last edited by von Junzt; 23 Aug 14 at 07:42

There won't be reunification. Russia is dead.

Oh for God's sake before this is over the Russians, Americans, Brits, French and the civilized world
will be openly fighting the Muslim world. ISIS demonstrates the next fascist threat religion is the
avenue of the Zealot and there is no turning back. Each day we watch while the thugs take more land
kill more women and children and still we talk about how we might find some measure to stop their
advance. There is a way Air, Sea and land bombardment with troops on the ground where ever they
pop up. The time has come to wake up and understand moderate Muslims will stand up and be
counted or lumped in with those who want to do us harm.
The time has come to say Enough is Enough

Ah no they will not. ISIS is an assembled proxy army of mercenary scum that fights for western money. We are not likely to discharge our employees too early.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Kind of underlines how overblown this whole thing is when you're officially announcing a ceasefire on twitter.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Kind of underlines how overblown this whole thing is when you're officially announcing a ceasefire on twitter.

I don't think it's possible for the " thing " to be overblown seeing how this is the front against Russia that absolutely must be had by NATO.
The ceasefire will certainly be breached by Kiev as soon as it makes up the horrific losses it sustained in the east and the certainty of that is well understood by the eastern rebels, so they will strike first while Kiev is in a state of confusion. There is also a very good chance of another coup.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He isn't old enough to understand Soviets and a lot have forgotten who they are but the Soviet "rebels" are Russian Soviets not rebels. Bolshevik cocksuckers.