Ottawa runs $1.6B surplus in June

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
From taxes.

OTTAWA - The federal government ran a surplus of $1.6 billion in June compared with a surplus or $200 million in the same month last year.

The Finance Department said the increase came as revenue climbed $900 million or 3.8 per cent due to higher revenues from non-resident income tax, excise taxes and duties and employment insurance premiums.

Program spending was down $700 million or 3.2 per cent due to lower direct program expenses. Public debt charges increased by $100 million or 5.1 per cent.

For the April-to-June period the government had a surplus of $400 million compared with a deficit of $2.6 billion in the same period a year ago.

Revenues for the fiscal year to date were up $2.5 billion or 3.8 per cent, while program spending was down $400 million or 0.7 per cent.

Public debt charges for the period were down $49 million, or 0.6 per cent.

Ottawa runs $1.6B surplus in June | CTV News

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
This is excellent news!!! The Conservatives are definitely on the right track.

Now, if they would just lower the debt instead of giving out miniscule tax reductions........

And/or build up the military.

We are going to need it.

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
This is excellent news!!! The Conservatives are definitely on the right track.

Now, if they would just lower the debt instead of giving out miniscule tax reductions........

And/or build up the military.

We are going to need it.

Why are we going to need it?

The boogey man.

We need investments in infrastructure, lower tax on business and a reduction in debt.

If we put any money into the military it should be to our vets....not new wars.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Why are we going to need it?

The boogey man.

We need investments in infrastructure, lower tax on business and a reduction in debt.

If we put any money into the military it should be to our vets....not new wars.

I agree the veterans need to be treated better, BUT

The boogeyman's name is Putin.

And he made a pointed reference to the Arctic, which with its bounteous energy reserves and thawing waterways is emerging as a new potential conflict between Russia and its western rivals. "Our interests are concentrated in the Arctic. And of course we should pay more attention to issues of development of the Arctic and the strengthening of our position," Putin told a youth camp outside Moscow.
Putin likens Ukraine's forces to Nazis and threatens standoff in the Arctic | World news | theguardian.com

Read a little history.

The wolves are ALWAYS at the door.

Why are Cons so obsessed with the military?

Why are progressives so determined to hand the world over to the wicked??

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
Blah blah blah.....the new monster created by the military industrial complex.

Cons who never have to fight love it.

I'm not shaking in my boots about it at all.

I forget to lock my front door half the time at night.

Why are Cons so obsessed with the military?

Why are lefties obsessed with coddling criminals and bums who can work if they tried.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Blah blah blah.....the new monster created by the military industrial complex.

Cons who never have to fight love it.

I'm not shaking in my boots about it at all.

You are a child, relatively speaking.

Ask the Ukraine if Putin is a problem.

Ask Georgia.

Hell, ask Estonia if they take him seriously.

Or Finland.

And READ A LITTLE HISTORY.

There are a couple of principles you might absorb:

1.) It is only yours if you can DEFEND it.

2.) Feeding the crocodile is a recipe for disaster

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

God save us from the intellectually lazy and the self-righteous.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Who is feeding Putin? Russians weren't even taking his nonsense about agricultural import bans. They had to reverse on a number of issues, because the Russians can't provide all the inputs they need to grow their own food. The following goods have already been allowed back into Russia: salmon and trout smolts, lactose-free milk and milk products, seed potatoes, sweet corn and peas for sowing, vitamins, mineral supplements, flavour additives, and protein concentrates from animal and vegetable origin. For some of those items, the price in one year has gone up by nearly 100%. Food prices have gone up by 6% in the last week alone. Western producers will find other markets for their goods. The Russians may not tolerate such increases in their food prices for long.

Consider this; 50% of the fish, milk, beef and cheese consumed in Russia comes from imports. When people start to go hungry because they can't afford to eat, Russia will have internal problems that dwarf Putin's dick measuring problem.

War hawks sometimes are just §hit hawks with bad attitudes.

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
You are a child, relatively speaking.

Ask the Ukraine if Putin is a problem.

Ask Georgia.

Hell, ask Estonia if they take him seriously.

Or Finland.

And READ A LITTLE HISTORY.

There are a couple of principles you might absorb:

1.) It is only yours if you can DEFEND it.

2.) Feeding the crocodile is a recipe for disaster

Winston Churchill

God save us from the intellectually lazy and the self-righteous.

You are a true coward.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
You are a true coward.

Funny....no one who knows me has ever called me a coward. At least to my face. Many other things, but never that.

Who is feeding Putin? Russians weren't even taking his nonsense about agricultural import bans. They had to reverse on a number of issues, because the Russians can't provide all the inputs they need to grow their own food. The following goods have already been allowed back into Russia: salmon and trout smolts, lactose-free milk and milk products, seed potatoes, sweet corn and peas for sowing, vitamins, mineral supplements, flavour additives, and protein concentrates from animal and vegetable origin. For some of those items, the price in one year has gone up by nearly 100%. Food prices have gone up by 6% in the last week alone. Western producers will find other markets for their goods. The Russians may not tolerate such increases in their food prices for long.

Consider this; 50% of the fish, milk, beef and cheese consumed in Russia comes from imports. When people start to go hungry because they can't afford to eat, Russia will have internal problems that dwarf Putin's dick measuring problem.

War hawks sometimes are just §hit hawks with bad attitudes.

Oh come on!!

Listen to yourself!! Meanwhile Putin's popularity is at an all-time high.

It is the progressive west that has no cojones, no will to promote the well-being of their nations and their culture...NOT the Russians.

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
Funny....no one who knows me has ever called me a coward. At least to my face. Many other things, but never that.

I bet they didn't, weak individuals mesmerized by your so called knowledge of history.

You are a coward, afraid of everything....but you put on the tough face and use the tough words.

Make sure that front door is locked Colpy....never know who might walk in.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I bet they didn't, weak individuals mesmerized by your so called knowledge of history.

You are a coward, afraid of everything....but you put on the tough face and use the tough words.

c'mon grover, your mad is showing again kid...kinda prickly and cranky for a muppet. :lol:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

It's C for Curmudgeon TV 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

You are a drooling moron.

Putin has so far invaded two countries bordering on Russia. He has murdered numerous opponents. He is gearing up to take more of the Ukraine. He has threatened to expand into the Arctic. They already put a Russian flag on the North Pole sea floor.

Guess who is in the Arctic, oh brain-dead one??

Guess who owns the territory Russia is claiming as their own??

Now Putin is making nuclear threats, and you and the rest of these quacking idiots couldn't put together a three digit IQ between the bunch of you.

If this were Poland in 1939, you'd be laughing while a German tank made tracks across your face.

My contempt for you people is beyond description. You will sell the free world down the river while you sleep well at night with unlocked doors.........

Here is the truth, idiot boy:

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
George Orwell , who understood tyranny.

You have no clue. You are loathesome, as only a troll can be........you call me coward when you do not know me and will never meet me.....if you DID know me, you would not dare take that liberty. That simple. Any man worthy of the title would not voice such an opinion anonymously.

It's C for Curmudgeon TV 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Damned right.

:)

What is necessary:

The west vs Putin so far:

Bambi Meets Godzilla - YouTube

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Oh come on!!

Listen to yourself!! Meanwhile Putin's popularity is at an all-time high.

It is the progressive west that has no cojones, no will to promote the well-being of their nations and their culture...NOT the Russians.
I know you aint no coward Copy, yer too stupid to be afraid.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You are a drooling moron.

Putin has so far invaded two countries bordering on Russia. He has murdered numerous opponents. He is gearing up to take more of the Ukraine. He has threatened to expand into the Arctic. They already put a Russian flag on the North Pole sea floor.

Guess who is in the Arctic, oh brain-dead one??

Guess who owns the territory Russia is claiming as their own??

Now Putin is making nuclear threats, and you and the rest of these quacking idiots couldn't put together a three digit IQ between the bunch of you.

If this were Poland in 1939, you'd be laughing while a German tank made tracks across your face.

My contempt for you people is beyond description. You will sell the free world down the river while you sleep well at night with unlocked doors.........

Here is the truth, idiot boy:

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
George Orwell , who understood tyranny.

You have no clue. You are loathesome, as only a troll can be........you call me coward when you do not know me and will never meet me.....if you DID know me, you would not dare take that liberty. That simple. Any man worthy of the title would not voice such an opinion anonymously.

Damned right.

:)

What is necessary:

The west vs Putin so far:

Bambi Meets Godzilla - YouTube

Rather demeaning to morons don't you think?

From taxes.

OTTAWA - The federal government ran a surplus of $1.6 billion in June compared with a surplus or $200 million in the same month last year.

The Finance Department said the increase came as revenue climbed $900 million or 3.8 per cent due to higher revenues from non-resident income tax, excise taxes and duties and employment insurance premiums.

Program spending was down $700 million or 3.2 per cent due to lower direct program expenses. Public debt charges increased by $100 million or 5.1 per cent.

For the April-to-June period the government had a surplus of $400 million compared with a deficit of $2.6 billion in the same period a year ago.

Revenues for the fiscal year to date were up $2.5 billion or 3.8 per cent, while program spending was down $400 million or 0.7 per cent.

Public debt charges for the period were down $49 million, or 0.6 per cent.

Ottawa runs $1.6B surplus in June | CTV News

Have to blame Harper for this one.