Redfords former Deputy Explains $20,000.00 Cell Bill

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Couldn't he find a pay phone and use a calling card.....?

Alberta PC leadership candidate Thomas Lukaszuk says he's sorry he didn't check into the details of his data plan but is defending a $20,000 cellphone bill that taxpayers footed while he was on a private trip.

The bill, which was for overseas data and roaming charges, was incurred while Lukaszuk was in Poland and Israel in October 2012.

In a statement emailed on Monday, he said the trip was made on his personal time and that he covered his own travel costs.
But Lukaszuk said he continued to work on government business while out of the country.

“I was deputy premier [at the time], and there really isn’t ‘private time,’” he wrote. “I was expecting to do some government work while I was away (reading and answering emails, reviewing briefings, and staying current with Alberta and Canadian news), so I took my equipment with me."

Lukaszuk did not specify what case he was working on, saying only it was under a court-ordered publication ban.

Thomas Lukaszuk apologizes for $20K cellphone bill - Edmonton - CBC News

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
He can't manage his cell and wants to lead the province. He was and still is in my opinion a scum sucker.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
"Thomas Lukaszuk says he's sorry he didn't check into the details of his data plan but is defending a $20,000 cellphone bill that taxpayers footed while he was on a private trip."

Your data plan, your contract, you agreed to it in order to have the data plan and phone.... pay up b*tch.

“I was deputy premier [at the time], and there really isn’t ‘private time,’” he wrote. “I was expecting to do some government work while I was away (reading and answering emails, reviewing briefings, and staying current with Alberta and Canadian news), so I took my equipment with me."

And yet, all around there world there are many free Wi-Fi hot spots.... I used them all the time when I came back to Canada with my Australian phone. All of those things he mentioned can be checked using Wi-Fi.

A Deputy Premiere doesn't have private time? Yes you do and you can make it happen if you really wanted to.... it's the LAW that you have time off work.

He was "Expecting" to do work, not "Expected" ~ Two different things.

Either way, Checking your email and sending email, as well as reading the news doesn't take up that much data usage... someone was doing a hell of a lot more than that to rack up $20,000.