Wynne blames Harper for blocking constructive relations between Ottawa and provinces

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Wynne blames Harper for blocking constructive relations between Ottawa and provinces

Premier Kathleen Wynne says it’s difficult to get things accomplished nationally when Prime Minister Stephen Harper stands in the way of constructive relations between the provinces and Ottawa.

As the premiers head to P.E.I. next week for their annual gathering to discuss matters of common concern, the federal government, and in particular Harper, are expected to loom large on the agenda.

“Stephen Harper has chosen to deal with the . . . provinces one at a time as opposed to dealing with us in any kind of collective way,” Wynne, outgoing chair of the Council of the Federation, told the Star Friday.

While the provinces will undoubtedly discuss the need for a national infrastructure strategy, Ottawa has made it clear that balancing the federal books supersedes sending more money to the provinces at this time.

“I would prefer if Stephen Harper would come to the table and meet with the premiers as a group and hear our vision on a whole range of issues. I think that would be better for the country and I think it would be better for each of the provinces,” the premier said.

“As long as he chooses not to do that then there are going to be issues where we have conflict as a province,” she said, adding she can only surmise that Harper’s divide-and-conquer tactic is designed for him to somehow come out on top.

Wynne has called for $12 billion a year in infrastructure funding from the federal government — more than four times what Ontario gets now — and reiterated that provinces need “stable and predictable” aid on that front to upgrade transit systems, roads, bridges, water and sewage treatment facilities.

Wynne blames Harper for blocking constructive relations between Ottawa, provinces

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Hell no and mentalflaws isn't cheap in showing his jealousy in the booming economies.

Although truth be told, I don't recall a premier's conference (and I am old enough to recall them going back to Trudeau) when somebody wasn't compaining about something the feds had done. Always posturing for a better deal.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Hell no and mentalflaws isn't cheap in showing his jealousy in the booming economies.

You keep accusing me of this and I really have no idea where it's coming from.

If Alberta had a booming economy that wasn't just a Texan pyramid scheme, then yes, I would be extremely jealous.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
You keep accusing me of this and I really have no idea where it's coming from.

If Alberta had a booming economy that wasn't just a Texan pyramid scheme, then yes, I would be extremely jealous.