42,000 new jobs created in Canada, corrected StatsCan report says

Locutus
Statistics Canada's updated jobs report shows 42,000 new positions were created in July — a far cry from the 200 that were originally reported.

The federal agency released its initial jobs report last Friday before warning Canadians on Tuesday that it had made a mistake.

The updated figures show a large, 60,000-worker spike in the number of part-time jobs.

The job gains were enough to push the jobless rate down 0.1 percentage points, to seven per cent.

More to come

42,000 new jobs created in Canada, corrected StatsCan report says - Business - CBC News

Walter
+1
Obviously Harper got to somebody because everyone knows Canada is worse off since he became PM.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
I wonder if Flossy will correct the 'facts' in the many threads he's started on how poor the job stats are.

... I shall wait with baited breath

petros
The first set were from the Swedes.

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

I wonder if Flossy will correct the 'facts' in the many threads he's started on how poor the job stats are.

... I shall wait with baited breath

bated breath. Unless you've been eating worms.

These elementary errors to be expected when you lay off all your scientists.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

I always thought the expression was the same. You sent your breath up as bait. Never gave it a second thought. Should have known that being english there would be 2 words spelled differently which sound exactly the same and mean 2 different things.

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I always thought the expression was the same. You sent your breath up as bait. Never gave it a second thought. Should have known that being english there would be 2 words spelled differently which sound exactly the same and mean 2 different things.

bated means "in great suspense, waiting." Not usually a Grammar Bammer, but can't help myself with that one.

IdRatherBeSkiing

bated means "in great suspense, waiting." Not usually a Grammar Bammer, but can't help myself with that one.

I know now. There is a great site called google which is a great teacher of these things.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+2
#9  Top Rated Post

Incorrect.

It's a proven, scientific fact (97% consensus) that the most effective 'bait' for Capt Morgan is rye whiskey.

True story

taxslave
No Party Affiliation

WHy should the government employ scientists? That is properly the area of private enterprise.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

WHy should the government employ scientists? That is properly the area of private enterprise.

2X-10X more money in commercial than the Feds pay.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

And since when would a scientist even stoop to doing menial tasks better served by a lowly mathematitian?

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

2X-10X more money in commercial than the Feds pay.

Which begs the question about how good the ones employed by the fed actually are/were?

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+2

And since when would a scientist even stoop to doing menial tasks better served by a lowly mathematitian?

Which begs the question about how good the ones employed by the fed actually are/were?

Good enough to destroy fisheries on both coasts.

petros

Good not stellar but only as good as the underfunded work environment permitted.

mentalfloss
For the record I actually didn't post a thread on the July numbers.

Not that this is indicative of a healthy economy or anything.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
With such low numbers you would think there would be less opposition to the many mine and pipeline projects slowly winding their way through the approval process.
Must be a lot of people in this country that don't want to work and don't want anyone else to either.

gore0bsessed
42,000 useless minimum wage jobs that'll shorty be taken over by automation, as most jobs will eventually.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by gore0bsessedView Post

42,000 useless minimum wage jobs that'll shorty be taken over by automation, as most jobs will eventually.

Jobs in the patch start at $80k.

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
+1

So--get rid of Stats Can then?

Walter
+1 / -1

So--get rid of Stats Can then?

Less gubmint the better.

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Less gubmint the better.

Consider moving to Somalia. No government to speak of there.

Walter
+1 / -1

Their gubmint kills you if you're not Muzzie.

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Their gubmint kills you if you're not Muzzie.

Apart from the capital, Mogadishu, there is no government to speak of in Somalia.

Corduroy
+1 / -1
When the United States (Democratic president) posts good job data liberals cheer and conservatives declare the jobs mostly minimum wage and temporary. When Canada (Conservative PM) posts good job data conservatives cheer and liberals declare the jobs mostly minimum wage and temporary.

I think you all need to pull your heads outta your asses.

Somalia is the go to example, but try considering central America, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Places were governments exists but are weak and order and commerce are regulated by second amendment heroes (gangs and warlords). It's a libertarian's wet dream/humanitarian and refugee crisis.

mentalfloss
+2
This thread is about shipping Walter to Somalia now.

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

No gubmint.

Corduroy
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Short-sleeve button up, a Bible and a can do attitude. Spread the Good Word. Was it not Jesus H. Christ who said "go forth and proselytize"?

mentalfloss
Actually, I think it was Captain Phillips.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

When the United States (Democratic president) posts good job data liberals cheer and conservatives declare the jobs mostly minimum wage and temporary. When Canada (Conservative PM) posts good job data conservatives cheer and liberals declare the jobs mostly minimum wage and temporary.

I think you all need to pull your heads outta your asses.

Sheer, unanalyzed numbers are one thing. Look deeper into the details of those jobs, employment/industrial sectors and rates of pay and you'll see that the stats tell a different story.

The stats out of the WH in the last few years do not differentiate between full time and part time employment... Details like this have a large impact on the overall message that is released