Liberals now pulling away from Cons into majority territory

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Looks like Ontario is going to give Harper the boot.

The Liberals averaged 38.7% support in July, up 5.7 points from June and the highest they have recorded going back at least as far as before 2009. It was also their first month of increase since January, and stretches their lead overt the Conservatives to 16 months.

The Conservatives were down 2.9 points, averaging 28.1% support. The New Democrats were down 2.6 points to 21.7%, their lowest result since April 2011.

ThreeHundredEight.com: July 2014 federal polling averages

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Looks like Ontario is going to give Harper the boot.

The Liberals averaged 38.7% support in July, up 5.7 points from June and the highest they have recorded going back at least as far as before 2009. It was also their first month of increase since January, and stretches their lead overt the Conservatives to 16 months.

The Conservatives were down 2.9 points, averaging 28.1% support. The New Democrats were down 2.6 points to 21.7%, their lowest result since April 2011.

ThreeHundredEight.com: July 2014 federal polling averages
I know nothing about Canadian politics so take this for what it's worth. If conservatism represents the status quo and liberalism represents changing the way things are then your statistics might be telling you people are not satisfied with the way things are. Maybe conservatives ought to think about letting go of a few things.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Another poll that will be foiled again by another Harper majority.... Just like with the promises from the pollsters with Ignatieff and Dion... Hell, the Liberals lost official status as a Party last time a 'Liberal majority' was predicted.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Are these daytime poll numbers, supper hour numbers or prime time TV numbers?

Poll 1000 people who are at work, and 1000 who are unemployed with nothing better to do.

Would these numbers read the same way?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Libs will win in the West by re-electing Ralph. It only takes one man to change everything from Kenora westward.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I always find these kinds of polls dubious. At least they're broken down by region (and some by province) but we don't vote by region or by province. We vote in ridings. And of course during an election campaign people form better opinions of candidates. Things can fluctuate more easily.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I always find these kinds of polls dubious. At least they're broken down by region (and some by province) but we don't vote by region or by province. We vote in ridings. And of course during an election campaign people form better opinions of candidates. Things can fluctuate more easily.

You're correct. Going by a vague provincial poll shows nothing. Is the riding of Regina/Wascana a Liberal outpost or do they simpily like Ralph as their MP ?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
As the federal Conservative party in Canada tries to take more rights away from the voters the neo-cons become the losers