Wealthy foreigners to sue Canada over end of visa plan

tay
+1
Wealthy foreigners hoping to fast-track immigration to Canada are preparing to sue Ottawa over the government's cancellation of its immigrant investor program, which has been assailed for allowing rich Chinese to buy their way into Canada.

"We're going to try to start a so-called class action for the investors whose files were closed," Leahy said. "If closing down the files is struck down as illegal, it would apply to everybody."

That would mean the revival of thousands of applications that were killed when the Conservative government's Bill C-31 passed through parliament in June. The legislation cancels the "millionaire" immigration stream for which some processing times had lengthened to more than five years.

Canada's Federal Court ruled against Leahy's group of would-be immigrant-investors on the wait times case in June, though Leahy has filed an appeal that he expects to be heard sometime next year. The new lawsuit would be a separate case challenging the cancellation of the program

Launched in the mid-1980s, the immigrant investor program promised a fast-track visa for foreigners who had a minimum net worth of C$800,000 ($732,533) and at least C$400,000 to invest in the country. The minimums were later upped to a net worth of C$1.6 million and C$800,000 to invest.

Nancy Caron, spokeswoman for the government's citizenship and immigration department, said the backlog of investor applications was bogging down the immigration system. She said that with its cancellation, the government can now focus on initiatives that will better meet the country's economic needs. Canada receives about 257,000 immigrants each year.

The program was wildly popular, particularly with ethnic Chinese investors - first from Hong Kong and Taiwan, and later from mainland China. Vancouver, with its proximity to the Asia-Pacific region, was the preferred destination.

"Many of my clients bought properties in Canada after they got the visa, but some of them bought before getting the visa," said Art Yang, chairman of Gasheng Overseas Investment Group, based in Guangzhou, China.

more

Wealthy foreigners to sue Canada over end of visa plan | Reuters (external - login to view)

Locutus
that's a shame

IdRatherBeSkiing
I would have thought they would have grandfathered applications already in the system.

Wonder if their regular application or the court challenge will go through first?

B00Mer
Republican
Thank God for the Canadian government's common sense on this one..

Many countries have dumped the Economic Citizenship Investment Programs because of abuse and fraud.

Besides, just how much is YOUR citizenship worth?? Canada used to sell Canadian citizenship for an investment in the prairie provinces for $250,000 and $500,000 in other areas of Canada.

Honestly, I would like to think the Coveted Canadian Citizenship is worth more than just a 1/2 million.

In the USA it's 1 million and up.

Economic citizenship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

BaalsTears
America has open borders. Why shouldn't Canada have open borders?

B00Mer
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

America has open borders. Why shouldn't Canada have open borders?

THE USA DOES NOT HAVE OPEN BORDERS!!!

If you're a Mexican or Canadian caught in the USA illegally, see how fast you get tossed out. That is because Canada and Mexico have agreements with the USA.

The Problem is, the USA courts and immigration are back logged, by years.

The USA does not have the same agreements with other countries, which is causing a problem right now.. Also,many of these children are fleeing honest refugee statuses.

MHz
+1

Why shouldn't Canada have open borders?

We do, apparently the children in Siberia choose to stay there. We could open up the Hudson Bay area to 30M Japanese before they are damaged beyond repair or is that one closed?

UN rate by the head over 30 years would dwarf our oil exports. So would snow Igloos that get chemtrailed with something like crazy glue make them bear-proof, big, big bear proof. Throw in some GOM residents as a buffer to the French in Quebec.

BaalsTears
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

If you're a Mexican or Canadian caught in the USA illegally, see how fast you get tossed out. That is because Canada and Mexico have agreements with the USA.

The USA does not have the same agreements with other countries, which is causing a problem right now.. Also,many of these children are fleeing honest refugee statuses.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you based on the fact that very few illegal aliens are deported from the US. Illegals who are apprehended are released into the general population, and most of them simply ignore the legal system. Besides, most illegals aren't apprehended.

MHz

Watch how fast they would open if they had some money, you can admit that much at least.

BaalsTears
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

We do, apparently the children in Siberia choose to stay there. We could open up the Hudson Bay area to 30M Japanese before they are damaged beyond repair or is that one closed?

UN rate by the head over 30 years would dwarf our oil exports. So would snow Igloos that get chemtrailed with something like crazy glue make them bear-proof, big, big bear proof. Throw in some GOM residents as a buffer to the French in Quebec.

Canada could open its southern border...one of the longest borders in the world. That would allow millions of Latin Americans easy access to the benefits of residency in Canada. Wouldn't that be the moral and ethical thing to do?

B00Mer
Republican

Canada could open its southern border...one of the longest borders in the world. That would allow millions of Latin Americans easy access to the benefits of residency in Canada. Wouldn't that be the moral and ethical thing to do?

As long as we keep this image in the minds of Latin Americans... I don't foresee any problems with open borders in Canada..

VS, The USA

BaalsTears
Vancouver has better weather than Chicago. There are lots of illegal Latin Americans in Chicago where the winter winds sweep off Lake Michigan and bring a bone chilling cold. They adapt. The same is true for the bitterly cold winter weather in much of Canada.

B00Mer
Republican

Vancouver has better weather than Chicago. There are lots of illegal Latin Americans in Chicago where the winter winds sweep off Lake Michigan and bring a bone chilling cold. They adapt. The same is true for the bitterly cold winter weather in much of Canada.

There is also a strong Latin community and oh yeah, Univison and other culturally similar stores and media outlets in Chicago.

I think in Vancouver your more likely to see an illegal Chinese or East Indian..

coldstream
+2
#14  Top Rated Post
The plan of letting wealthy 'investors' in was foolhardy from its inception. It is a direct product of the Monetarist economic philosophy and its graven idol of currency.. and the stripping of the sovereign right of nations to issue their own money and establish their own credit system.

Not surprisingly instead of getting honest, hardworking immigrants into the country, the type that built Canada.. you got mercenaries.. with an attitude that they came in at top of social heierarchy.. with no loyalty, respect, understanding of the country or real interest in becoming part of it.. except as an investment opportunity.

I don't know what grounds there are for suing... except the Inalienable Right of Money to special privileges without any commensurate responsibily.. and to jump the cue of those without.
Last edited by coldstream; Aug 11th, 2014 at 01:30 PM..

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+2
Feel free to invest - especially those of you from rogue and terrorist states. When the assets get frozen and/or seized, you'll know your investment went to a good cause

Corduroy

Many countries have dumped the Economic Citizenship Investment Programs because of abuse and fraud.

You can't get mad at rich immigrant investors for abuse and fraud. How the hell do you think they got rich in the first place?

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
Don't usually side with Harper however I do on this one. They are not citizens and
we should reserve the right to decide who is part of the Canadian family

B00Mer
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

You can't get mad at rich immigrant investors for abuse and fraud. How the hell do you think they got rich in the first place?

Where did I say I'm mad at rich immigrate investors.. I said many countries of dropped the program.

You could buy citizenship for $65,000 USD in Belize at one time..

Belize Visa and Residency Information | Visa for Belize (external - login to view)

I have nothing against it.. I just think Canadian Citizenship, with all our social programs, publicly funded health coverage, and safe and secure country is worth more than a 1/2 million dollar investment in trade for a Canadian Passport.

More like 1 million, plus $250,000 for a spouse and each dependent child.

So for all you folks that feel Canada should take St. Kitts Nevis as a territory, why wait.. for $250,000 donation to the Sugar Industry, you can get an instant passport and tax free living.

St Kitts Citizenship - Fast Citizenship & Passport by Investment (external - login to view)

no new posts