Gitxsan consider disruptions targeting CN Rail in B.C.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Gitxsan First Nation negotiator Gwaans (Beverley Clifton Percival) told the Straight that businesses were given until August 4 to vacate 33,000 square kilometres of land to which the Gitxsan hold title.

After that time, “next steps” will be taken, Clifton Percival said in a telephone interview.

“We are going to take action against CN [Rail], and we are going to look at the railway line and a potential disruption of service,” she continued. “We’re going to take action August 5 if there is no action by the Crown.”

Clifton Percival declined to say what options the Gitxsan might pursue.

“We don’t want any violence or confrontation, but we want the Crown to step up,” she added. “We want to deal with CN, we want to deal with the sport fisheries, we want to deal with B.C. Timber Sales.”

The B.C. Ministry of Aboriginal Relations and Reconciliation did not grant an interview. A spokesperson for CN Rail said negotiations are ongoing and that the company has “no further comment”.

The Gitxsan eviction notices follow a June 26 Supreme Court of Canada decision stating that corporations must have the consent of First Nations before they proceed with projects on land where aboriginal people hold title.

Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs Grand Chief Stewart Phillip told the Straight that the Tsilhqot’in decision, as it is known, has altered Canada’s constitutional landscape.

“The Gitxsan people are serving notice that things have changed,” he said. “There needs to be a higher duty of care and respect for their aboriginal-title rights.”

Phillip noted that since the Tsilhqot’in decision, First Nations groups have filed 11 separate but coordinated lawsuits aimed at stopping the construction of the Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline, which would transport heavy crude oil from Alberta to Kitimat, B.C.

He said that First Nations peoples are rallying together in ways they haven’t in many years. Phillip compared the situation to an atmosphere of cooperation that was borne out of flashpoints at Oka, Quebec, in 1990, and Gustafsen Lake, B.C., in 1995.

“All of the First nations in this country stood together in solidarity,” he recalled.

Today, Phillip continued, the rallying point is an “absolute failure” of the treaty process.

“What we are witnessing is the manifestation of the frustrations of our rights and interests being denied by both Canada and B.C.,” he said.

Gitxsan consider service disruptions targeting CN Rail and other companies in northwestern B.C. | On First Nation Issues, Events, And Environmental Issues On The West Coast And World Events.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The problem is growing because the issues were not dealt with for decades
Its damn uncomfortable when the shoe is on the other foot and it doesn't fit

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
They should just remove the clause where you have to be an Indian to be part of a First Nation. If you live on Gitxsan titled land, you're a citizen of Gitxsan First Nation. Nevermind this business about having to be at least 1/8 Indian.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Be interesting if they screw with CN and the railway hauls their collective azz into Court... Could cost them a pail of cash

Taxpayers like you and I carry that pail though.

Bit of a tight spot.

Hey, my bills are paid this month, just let Harpo cut them a cheque.

Neil Edmondson ‏@NeilJEdmondson

Y'know, if a party ran on an explicitly anti-Native platform it could be very popular, even with leftists. Never happen, but still.

I'd donate

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I guess these dirt worshiping heathens have never heard of Chief Piapot trying to stop the CPR over 125 years ago. Slow learners.

B.C. First Nation chief was paid almost $1-million last year - The Globe and Mail

Interesting read. They are a very small group. Natives claim that many tribes pay very little, yeah

But Canadian taxpayers pay a lot. All in all being discriminated against is quite profitable.

Some do some don't. One Chief in SK pulls in a whopping $4500 a year.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Taxpayers like you and I carry that pail though.

Bit of a tight spot.

Hey, my bills are paid this month, just let Harpo cut them a cheque.

I'd donate

If that's where it ended, I would too... But we all know that's not the case. Seems to me that once a dollar is on the table, 'traditional' land and ways of life fall way into the distance and don't seem to matter.

The message is that money talks and bullsh*t walks... That concept works both ways and seeing how that the Feds hold all the of the cards on that basis, these folks (rightfully or wrongfully) are holding the losing hand in this card game

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They could always go back to raping and pillaging wildlife for HBC and NorthWest Company like they did from 1670 to back in the 1980s when fur trapping became murder according to moonbeams.

Beaver are becoming problematic.

Synthetic fibre or organic beaver fur?

What's gonna be?