Chiefs and council salaries now posted online

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
WINNIPEG ─ The Canadian Taxpayers Federation has won its five-year battle to get First Nations chiefs and band councillors' salaries posted online.

Beginning Tuesday, in accordance with the First Nations Financial Transparency Act, First Nations chiefs and councillors' salaries will now be published on the Internet.

Colin Craig, the prairie director of the CTF, said after all the work his organization has done on the issue, it is great to see it finally happen.

"It improves accountability; it is basic expectation in a democracy that one would be able to find how much their politicians are making," he said. "We heard back in 2009, that several people on aboriginal reserves couldn't get details on how much their own politicians were making, so that is why we started calling and moving forward with a big push to get Ottawa to change the status quo."

Nationwide, only 18 salaries have been posted online -- in Manitoba, only Buffalo Point and Gamblers First Nations have posted their salaries.

Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Minister Bernard Valcourt said in a statement on Monday that all the chiefs and councillors in the country are encouraged to file their financial statements as soon as possible. Once they are received, the department will post them.

Craig said prior to this legislation, some band members would often get bullied or risk losing their jobs if they asked about their chief's or councillors' salaries.

"One member actually provided us with a letter they got from their band saying that it was illegal for the government to release the information," he said, noting bands were supposed to be providing those details to their members. "That's one of the benefits of having these details online, everyone can take a look at them and band members can look at the numbers anonymously."

Chiefs and council salaries now posted online | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think some Cheifs and council members are going to be answering to a number of there peoples shortly...

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Lol'd reading that bud.

Reminded me that T.S. was probably the only person on record to engage a multi week hunger strike and actually gain weight

Cracks me up they bitch and whine with a straight face. Should play poker. Fuk, I'd start laughing and ruin the whole scam.
Hopefully not before the govt. cut us another cheque.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
B.C. First Nation chief was paid almost $1-million last year

A First Nation chief in British Columbia was paid close to $1-million last year, according to salary disclosures that are being released for the first time this week.

Chief Ron Giesbrecht of the Kwikwetlem First Nation is listed as receiving $914,219 in remuneration last year, plus an additional $16,574 in expense reimbursement. Individuals with Indian status who work on a reserve are not required to pay income tax.

nice gig:

B.C. First Nation chief was paid almost $1-million last year - The Globe and Mail

Dean Skoreyko ‏@bcbluecon
Am I reading this right - Kwikwetlem First Nation chief Ron Giesbrecht pocketed 9.6% of band's total revenue?

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/07/31/john-ivison-ron-giesbrecht-chief-of-80-member-kwikwetlem-first-nation-earned-914219-tax-free-last-year/ …

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Dean Skoreyko ‏@bcbluecon
Am I reading this right - Kwikwetlem First Nation chief Ron Giesbrecht pocketed 9.6% of band's total revenue?

Yes... That is the traditional way of their ancestors and the life forms before him... The Chief gets exactly 9.6% of everything (increases based on the greater of CPI or inflation with a minimum escalator clause of 14% biannually notwithstanding)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Yes... That is the traditional way of their ancestors and the life forms before him... The Chief gets exactly 9.6% of everything (increases based on the greater of CPI or inflation with a minimum escalator clause of 14% biannually notwithstanding)

*whew* well ya see...I thought I was over-reacting there. I've seen the light now. :lol:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
. . . . and the winners are????
Do we get the money that goes to the running of said groups but are not part of the Tribes but represent the Government instead? Just so women can see the wage gap if there is one. There probably isn't one, really why would there be one.

*whew* well ya see...I thought I was over-reacting there. I've seen the light now. :lol:
I'm going to bet that is white man's forked tounge doing the talking there rather rather than it being some message in the clouds of smoke that are the traditional way formatting an e-mail type document when a Rez is your address.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
. . . . and the winners are????
Do we get the money that goes to the running of said groups but are not part of the Tribes but represent the Government instead? Just so women can see the wage gap if there is one. There probably isn't one, really why would there be one.

I'm going to bet that is white man's forked tounge doing the talking there rather rather than it being some message in the clouds of smoke that are the traditional way formatting an e-mail type document when a Rez is your address.

hey man, say it don't spray it.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
from your intellectual and morally superior friends at CBC:

First Nations Transparency Act may do more harm than good

First Nations Transparency Act may do more harm than good: Hayden King - Aboriginal - CBC

and then this related uppity tidbit:

“There’s no way a white man’s business would divulge this kind of information on the Internet to anybody,”

Sun News : Buffalo Point chief defends salary

Tsuu T’ina First Nation defends defiance of federal law requiring salaries disclosure online

Tsuu T’ina First Nation defends defiance of federal law requiring salaries discl

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Great comments added at the bottom of the article

• Kevin Donnelly · Top Commenter · Ottawa, OntarioThere’s no way a white man’s business would divulge this kind of information on the Internet to anybody,” he said.....

Umm....There is no way a white man's business would be let off paying no taxes and not providing accounting statements.

Reply · · 15 · 2 hours ago
  • Sue FurlongGreed and racism I don't object to their wages. I object to their handout from taxpayers. If they can pay those wages then they don't need tax payer handouts.
    Reply · · 9 · about an hour ago
  • Terry Bare · Top Commenter · Victoria, British Columbia"White" man's?

Reply · · 6 · 2 hours ago
    • Toby Denyer · Top CommenterI know eh, Native bigotry
      Reply · · 5 · about an hour ago

• Ted Ross · Top Commenter · Miramichi, New BrunswickThe Indian act is a fossil that should be reburied. Governments have resisted changing the act for over a century. It is time to toss it and start again.
    Reply · · 2 · 38 minutes ago
  • Brian Mouland · Top Commenter · Works at RetiredJam it Big Chief Parasite!
    Reply · · 2 · 35 minutes ago
  • Larry Winslow · Top Commenter · Wycliffe College, University of TorontoWhat this "Chief" is failing to recognize is that he is a political figure. And as such his income and his work is subject to transparency. Further, if his statements about the Indian businesses leading to self-support, one would wonder if he would be willing to refuse the payments from the Federal Government. Also, he has to understand that any operation receiving assistance from the government is required to be transparent and open about how that money is used.

It would seem that this "Chief" is afraid that political transparency and transparency that goes with payments from the government of Canada will ultimately reveal some form of corruption in which he may be involved!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Some of these payments are way out of line and there should be some public
accountability within these communities I agree.
Where I don't agree is the manner in which this is being done. The statements
being made about bullying and that sort of thing were not necessary and they
are offered to the media as a justification on behalf of the government.
All that was required was we are doing this to conform with public information
about who is earning money paid for by the public. The rest of the statements
are there to focus public opinion that paints all leaders with the same brush.
The thing that bothers me most when something like this is focused on in such
a high profile manner the government is often attempting to advert attention
away from other more unpopular things they are doing