Vancouver's mayor changes tune on ending homelessness

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
say it isn't so gregor.

gregor. :lol:

VANCOUVER - After campaigning on a promise to end street homelessness by 2015, Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson is now saying the issue is not within his jurisdiction.

The statement comes after a group of protesters, who have been camping in Oppenheimer Park to advocate for the homeless, stormed Tuesday morning's city council meeting and secured a private meeting with the mayor and several councillors.

Though the city issued an eviction notice to the campers last week, Robertson is now saying city council stands with the group.

"People who are camped out in the park do need support," he said, adding he plans to advocate for the homeless by asking for the provincial and federal governments to step in.

"They're actually more responsible."

Some First Nations members among the campers have argued they have a right to stay in the park because it belongs to them, pointing to a formal declaration from council at the end of June that the city sits on unceded traditional territory.

"We're very thankful that they listened," said camper CeeJai Juliam.

Sun News : Vancouver's mayor changes tune on ending homelessness

charity begins at home gregor.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Well, he gave it the old college try. Dumb promise though. Some people will consistently make choices that will see them end up homeless even if you buy a home for them and stick them in it.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Let me get this straight, he actually campaigned on a platform to end street homelessness by 2015 and he got elected?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Let me get this straight, he actually campaigned on a platform to end street homelessness by 2015 and he got elected?

I suspect it was his looks that may have helped...blind people to the reality of what he was saying.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007