Wasps kill mayor of Quebec town

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Wasps kill mayor of Quebec town
First posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 01:35 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, July 21, 2014 01:54 PM EDT
MONTREAL — The longtime mayor of a Montreal suburb died after she was stung by a swarm of wasps Sunday.
Lucie F. Roussel, 51, had been mayor of La Prairie, Que., since 2005.
A friend told QMI Agency that Roussel inadvertently stepped on a wasps' nest at her cottage in Stratford, Que., in the Eastern Townships.
Roussel was pronounced dead in hospital.
"It's really sad because she lost her husband four years ago," said the friend, Helene Ste-Marie. "So two 18- and 19-year-old children have been left orphaned."
Roussel had served on La Prairie's town council since 1999 and was in her third term as mayor. Flags at the town hall were flying at half-mast Monday.
She ran for a seat in the provincial legislature in the 2012 Quebec election, but lost and retained her mayoral job.
La Prarie, Que. mayor Lucie F. Roussel died after stepping on a wasps nest at her cottage, Sunday, July 20, 2014. (Handout/VILLE DE LAPRAIRIE)

Wasps kill mayor of Quebec town | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Africanized killer wasps? :shock:

I thought wasp nests were high up off the ground? :confused:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Ohhhhhh.......Wasps.

I thought it said something else and was related to a Mafia hit...............

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
yellow jackets can nest just about anywhere, including a hole in the ground. and generally, they're badass muthafv<kas that don't really need a reason to sting you. but when you're messin' around near their nest they'll unleash a stinging hell on you.

went over one with a lawnmower and had to steal 4 bases to get clear of them. 3 stings that time. that night, I found that hole and casually poured in some gasoline and threw a match at it.... whumph no more wasp nest.

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
This story was such a shock. Could have been any of us. No previously known allergies. Just enjoying a day at the cottage. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
This story was such a shock. Could have been any of us. No previously known allergies. Just enjoying a day at the cottage. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Isn't that the truth. And it wasn't a lot of stings either.

Her husband died a couple of years ago of a heart attack, I heard. Tragic, life can sometimes be tragic.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
where she got stung (not on her) is like two towns away from here :eek:
I believe it was just her time to go...but it's a fairly horrific way to go I would imagine

could happen to anyone out walking or hiking

it's happened to plenty of others and they were fine, strange how things play out

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
yellow jackets can nest just about anywhere, including a hole in the ground. and generally, they're badass muthafv<kas that don't really need a reason to sting you. but when you're messin' around near their nest they'll unleash a stinging hell on you.

went over one with a lawnmower and had to steal 4 bases to get clear of them. 3 stings that time. that night, I found that hole and casually poured in some gasoline and threw a match at it.... whumph no more wasp nest.
thanks for the info. :shock: