Olivia Chow vows handgun ban

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
your moral and intellectual superior

TORONTO - Olivia Chow came out Monday pledging to support a handgun ban if she's elected mayor.

"There is no reason why anyone needs a handgun in a big city like ours," Chow said.

"We need better gun control. We have a mayor that for the last four years justified the use of guns, he opposed the long gun registry. What I want to do is work with big city mayors to tighten control so there is no illegal guns coming from the States."

In a press conference at Ephraim's Place in North York, Chow pledged to support police-community partnerships, expanding the use of interdisciplinary teams like the mobile crisis intervention team and repeated her promise to hire 5,000 young people for after-school programs.

Olivia Chow vows handgun ban | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Seems to me handguns have been banned. Unless Olivia has invented some sort of means to close Pandora's box, a ban means as much now as it did 20 years ago

Right ya are, Mr. Wolf. Handgun registration law - ban goes all the way back to Montmorincey of the Mounties or whomever. Chow Chow needs to read some Cdn. history............or just use google.

Bit of a poser, eh.

Unfortunately so were the idiots who instigated the long gun registration law.. She wants it back also.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FGun_politics_in_Canada&ei=Zy3EU63sAsvisAS8r4LICA&usg=AFQjCNEK8B7ylr6ickIjUk91_PSrwYp3eQ&bvm=bv.70810081,d.cWc

Now if there were some way to keep handguns or guns in general, out the hands of baddies, I'd be all for it. She's just spouting rhetoric, hoping for a media wave. Hope she gets one........a wave bye bye

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Huh, tried in Chicago.. that worked well.

Criminals don't care about Handgun Bans...

Does it really matter anyhow, you can't use a gun for self defense in Canada anyhow.. someone breaks into your home in Canada and you shoot'em, you go to prison.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Right you are.....from'63 t0 '69 I had a permit to carry for target shooting and "the protection of life".. The then local Police chief, a real nice guy, said he couldn't sign off on the protection of life any more, since I didn't have any physical disabilities, and I didn't need or carry a firearm in town, suggested that I get a prospector's licence to carry in the bush, which I did, until 2000, when I retired.....
Since then, any side arm I carry, if needed, would have to be illegal...........

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Does it really matter anyhow, you can't use a gun for self defense in Canada anyhow.. someone breaks into your home in Canada and you shoot'em, you go to prison.

Not if you remove the evidence.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Now if there were some way to keep handguns or guns in general, out the hands of baddies, I'd be all for it. She's just spouting rhetoric, hoping for a media wave. Hope she gets one........a wave bye bye

The media will buy it hook line and sinker. There is barely a brain among all of them. Bet it will make front page of the Toronto Star Enquirer.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Oh, now she's gone and pissed off the wannabe Americans.

No.

We in Canada share a constitutional heritage with England. That heritage includes an ancient right to keep arms for self-defense, as allowed by law.

It has NOTHING to do with the USA.

It has everything to do with the ancient right to self defense, and the means to defend one's self.

Free men keep arms.

....because we don't need their Second Amendment, we have own own right, allbeit a limited one.....

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No.

We in Canada share a constitutional heritage with England. That heritage includes an ancient right to keep arms for self-defense, as allowed by law.

It has NOTHING to do with the USA.

It has everything to do with the ancient right to self defense, and the means to defend one's self.

Free men keep arms.

Oh, get over it. Maybe you won't admit it to yourself, but I that's just some retroactive hoop jumping bull**** you do to cover up the fact that it all boils down to you growing up watching cowboy shows on TV... or for you Colpy was it the radio? Wait.. wild west show? Did Buffalo Bill come to town and shot a hole in yer pa's cap?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

what did you do with your arsenal now you've moved back to the land of the sane?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Oh, get over it. Maybe you won't admit it to yourself, but I that's just some retroactive hoop jumping bull**** you do to cover up the fact that it all boils down to you growing up watching cowboy shows on TV... or for you Colpy was it the radio? Wait.. wild west show? Did Buffalo Bill come to town and shot a hole in yer pa's cap?

Naw....actually it comes from being raised by the two best individuals I have ever met, honest, compassionate, patient, tolerant, very, very religious back woods Baptists.....in a house full of guns.

Actually it comes from a fascination with history, and a recognition that firearms and freedom are parallel developments.

Actually, it comes from an interest in current events, in political development and culture........and the realization that the existence of an armed population in the canary in the mine.....when they start taking a free man's (or woman's) arms from him (or her), the rest of their rights are soon to follow.

Actually, it comes from the influence of great political thinkers....John Locke, William Blackstone, Thomas Jefferson........or in the twentieth century, George Orwell who said

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Which neatly sums it up, thank you.

On this particular subject, you have no clue. I assume that is due to a huge gap in your education. :)