Ontario's Financial Problems Are Ontario-Made

Locutus
Discussing equalization and other federal transfer payments in summer is about as much fun as a root canal in any season.

Nevertheless, Ontario Finance Minister Charles Sousa complained on Thursday that the federal government underfunds Ontario. The complaint is part of a political effort by some Ontario politicians and others to distract Ontarians from the real issue: made-in-Ontario policy that is killing investment and jobs in that province and creating massive provincial deficits.

On the Ontario finance minister's complaint, Sousa argues Ontario's federal transfers will fall by $1.2 billion this year. Actually, that's the decrease in equalization payments to Ontario. Overall, total federal transfers to Ontario will indeed drop, but only by $650 million.
That's less of a problem then claimed, especially after accounting for population. On a per person basis, Ontario will receive $1,403 this year. That is marginally less than last year ($1,464 per person), though it is a lot less than Quebec ($2,387) New Brunswick ($3,464), Manitoba ($2,625) Nova Scotia ($3,202) and Prince Edward Island ($3,735).

On the other hand, Ontario's $1,403 per person help from Ottawa is up from $870 per person in 2005/06; the increase results from Ontario's six-year have-not equalization status. It is higher than British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan where the per person transfer to each province is $1,258.

The Ontario government complains its transfers are down. But Newfoundland and Labrador, which will receive $1,282 per person this year, once received $2,992 per person (in 2005/06), back when it collected equalization and offshore accord payments from Ottawa.

more

Ontario's Financial Problems Are Ontario-Made | Mark Milke

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Yeah, if they can send the $1,403 directly to me so I can make sure it gets spent properly, that'd be great.

petros
Too many tulip farmers.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Too many tulip farmers.

What do you have against the Dutch?

petros
Shell.

PS I'd help you out on the $1403 but I'm $121 short.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Don't knock the Dutch. Holland Marsh is about the only productive farmland near GTA that hasn't been plowed under for housing or golf courses

petros
It's too bad you can't goose hunt on golf courses. They love munching on the fairways.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

Shell.

PS I'd help you out on the $1403 but I'm $121 short.

Meh, it's not so much that I want or need the money. I'd just prefer the government not get it.

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Meh, it's not so much that I want or need the money. I'd just prefer the government not get it.

I'd just end up spending it on something stupid like groceries or utilities. Some spend that much on lotto tickets in a year. Maybe ON should try to win Lotto Max?

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1

I'd just end up spending it on something stupid like groceries or utilities. Some spend that much on lotto tickets in a year. Maybe ON should try to win Lotto Max?

They already won the Lottery. Oh wait... That was the Ontario Liberals...

SLM
No Party Affiliation

I've been trying. They are being less than co-operative about it.

Angstrom
Liberal
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

They already won the Lottery. Oh wait... That was the Ontario Liberals...

That's more on Hudak's epic fail.

He can always move west with the rest of the retards.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+3
#13  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

That's more on Hudak's epic fail.

He can always move west with the rest of the retards.

Yep it is Hudak's epic fail. But from this vantage point I only see one retard.

Angstrom
Liberal

Yep it is Hudak's epic fail. But from this vantage point I only see one retard.

From my vantage pointe I can see millions of retards.
Must suck being at the bottom.

It's ok even a bottom feeder can have success out west. I love canada

Retired_Can_Soldier
+3

I made 10 Grand last month. Boy that really sucked. I feel like such a loser.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2

But I bet you had to work for it. That's what no doubt makes you a loser in Angstrom's eyes.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

But I bet you had to work for it. That's what no doubt makes you a loser in Angstrom's eyes.

Yeah I should move back to Winnerville where they pay bottom dollar but get to hang with the cool cats.

Angstrom
Liberal

Then I bet you live in Ontario! Am I right?

Cause you don't move to Alberta if your successful.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2

Then I bet you live in Ontario! Am I right?

Nope I don't think people in any part of the Country are retarded. I do think people who make blanket statements about Alberta or Saskatchewan are clearly misinformed and possibly geographically challenged. You want to call me a retard for seeking a better life, lower taxes and a descent living, knock yourself out. I supported Ontario with my hard earned tax dollar since 1998 after leaving the military, I did my best to support her last year. Unfortunately the Government in that Province is completely corrupt and has turned itself from a Have to a Have not.

Hudak might not have been up for the job, but Horvath would have been an improvement over these crooks.

I'm guessing that Ontario is going to be undergoing even deeper cuts than the Harris conservatives implemented once they realize they can't fund their Province on empty pockets.

Should be interesting Bloodsport to watch as the Pigs at the trough start cannibalizing each other.

Cause you don't move to Alberta if your successful.

Keep telling yourself that.

Angstrom
Liberal
Then Ontario got it right. Democracy has succeeded. Will need to cut back ether way that it's liberals or conservatives.
Liberals happens to be the less retarded of the two.

DaSleeper

Retired_Can_Soldier
Jobless Ontario factory workers don’t hold your breath – move west

On June 27, H.J. Heinz Co. turned out the lights on its 105-year-old Leamington, Ont. food processing plant, adding at least 500 more names to the ranks of jobless Ontarians who formerly earned a living through factory work.
Those newly unemployed workers helped push down the total number of manufacturing numbers in the country’s biggest province to their lowest level on record last month, Statistics Canada said Friday.

There are now fewer factory jobs in Ontario than at any point in the past 38 years, or since 1976 when Statistics Canada first began counting jobs in the sector.
“We’re actually lower than where we were at the tail end of the recession, which is really saying something,” Doug Porter, chief economist at Bank of Montreal said. “Manufacturing jobs continue to wither.”
READ MORE: For Canada’s tomato capital,

Nuggler
+1

It's ok even a bottom feeder can have success out west. I love canada

Working for you is it ?