Gitxsan First Nation evicting rail, logging, fishing interests

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
British Columbia First Nations are wasting no time in enforcing their claim on traditional lands in light of a landmark Supreme Court of Canada decision recognizing aboriginal land title.

The hereditary chiefs of the Gitxsan First Nations served notice Thursday to CN Rail, logging companies and sport fishermen to leave their territory along the Skeena River in a dispute with the federal and provincial governments over treaty talks.

And the Gitxaala First Nation, with territory on islands off the North Coast, announced plan to file a lawsuit in the Federal Court of Appeal on Friday challenging Ottawa's recent approval of the Northern Gateway pipeline from Alberta.

The Kwikwetlem First Nation also added its voice to the growing list, claiming title to all lands associated with now-closed Riverview Hospital in Metro Vancouver along with other areas of its traditional territory.

more

Gitxsan First Nation evicting rail, logging, fishing interests - British Columbia - CBC News

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Good for them. I know most conservative types on here would prefer that they just buy more Vasoline and take it up the butt live good Canadians, but I think they are kinda fed up with that BS.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Sounds to me like this circumstance is perfect for the gvt to use 'National Interest' as the reason to go forward on all kinds of roads, rail lines and pipelines.

This may backfire hugely on this group

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Sounds to me like this circumstance is perfect for the gvt to use 'National Interest' as the reason to go forward on all kinds of roads, rail lines and pipelines.

This may backfire hugely on this group
Yup, and ram it up their butt one more time. You'll just love that, won't you.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Life in the big city Cliffy... These same folks that are making the claims are also the ones that are living off the avails of work done by many others.

How is it that you (or they) believe that it is the responsibility of others to take those risks, yet they absolve themselves from any?

In the end, there is no free lunch, and this sentiment extends across all cultures over all times.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Simple solution.
Cut off ALL taxpayer moneys flowing to these groups. We have had enough of being held hostage by those that suck on the public ***.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
What's truly hilarious about the FN position about outsiders benefiting from their 'traditional land and traditional way of life ' is that these folks have no problem with roads, schools and hospitals being developed on their 'traditional lands '... It's A-OK for that purpose, but a travesty when any other application is considered that would actually contribute to paying for those bennies.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh great. More crying TV Indians.

Good for them. I know most conservative types on here would prefer that they just buy more Vasoline and take it up the butt live good Canadians, but I think they are kinda fed up with that BS.

Do you have any idea how stupid it was to gain title. Now they have the same laws as whitie which only opens the door for rail, pipes, logging, hydro, mineral extraction and best of all taxes.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Couldn't decide which of the bazillion NG threads to put this in so I just picked at random.

Since I currently work in Kitamat I listen to the regional radio station. There is an outfit on there promoting a native built and run pipeline and specifically states they are in no way associated with ENBRIDGE Or Northern Gateway. Probably goes a long way to explaining why the many bands along the proposed route are against NG. It is not the shipping of oil they are against. Or saving the enviromnent. They are just against anyone but them doing it. Just like thet did when protesting logging. And the leftys fell for it again.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Did a little digging last night. The outfit is called Eagle SPirit Energy and the money is the Aquilini Group. That is the family that owns the Vancouver Canucks.