Can’t guarantee Pam Am Games will be on budget, sport minister says

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

make-believe drawing of a shiny happy pan-amtic vision

Contrary to repeated assurances the Pan Am Games will be on budget, the new Minister of Sport Michael Coteau says he can no longer guarantee that.

Minister of Sport Michael Coteau says he can’t guarantee the Pan Am Games will be on budget, contrary to earlier repeated assurances that it would be.

“I can’t make that promise to you,” Coteau told reporters Thursday after taking questions in the legislature on the Games, which are just a year away.

While TO2015 organizers insist the actual Games will come under budget, Coteau acknowledged the problematic areas are security and transportation, which are calculated separately and are the sole responsibility of the province. Security costs have already doubled.

“You have security costs that can change based on threat level, it can change based on different items like transportation routes . . . it is going to be challenging managing any type of Games or budget at this level,” Coteau said.

more happy shinyness

Can’t guarantee Pam Am Games will be on budget, sport minister says | Toronto Star

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I have yet to meet a person in Toronto who has mentioned the Pan Am games, it's like being selected to host the Special Olympics All-Star Game.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Toronto is still too worried about the mayor not towing the gay pride line to worry about a mere international sporting event.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I have yet to meet a person in Toronto who has mentioned the Pan Am games, it's like being selected to host the Special Olympics All-Star Game.

heh...hipsters swagging and swaying to the cacophony of Mayor Happy Kline and the Special Olympics All-Star Band.

This we-must-have-it bid was put in by Toronto Student Council and it's class president to appear like they're popular commonwealthy kids and relevant and still pretty.

There's more real work by worthwhile money on Eglinton's new water main system outside my front door.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Looking forward to the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow later this month.

Go England!

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
thank gawd 'toronto' isn't the center of the universe anymore. :lol: