Rob Ford remains seated as rest of city council gives standing ovation to Pride staff

mentalfloss
+2

Rob Ford remains seated as rest of city council gives standing ovation to Pride staffers

Mayor Rob Ford, long criticized for his refusal to attend Toronto’s Pride Parade, stayed in his seat Wednesday as the rest of his council colleagues stood and applauded city staff for their work on the recent World Pride Festival.

Mr. Ford appeared to be the only one on city council not to join in the standing ovation. He remained glued to his seat several minutes later when the rest of council again stood, this time in appreciation of Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, council’s only openly gay member and a key catalyst for the festival.

“It’s really quite unfortunate that Mayor Ford once again is just not decent in his approach,” Ms. Wong-Tam said afterward. “He couldn’t even bother to stand up. He couldn’t even fake it. It just tells you, this is the kind of guy he is.”

Mr. Ford’s relationship with the gay community has long been strained. During last winter’s Sochi Olympics, he tried to have city staff remove a rainbow flag flying outside City Hall. He has also been recorded making numerous homophobic remarks.

On Tuesday, he used a procedural measure to delay a council motion asking city staff to explore the possibility of creating dedicated shelter beds for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer/questioning and two-spirited youth. On Wednesday, Ms. Wong-Tam rose in council and asked him directly to release the motion, allowing a vote to go forward. He refused.

Ms. Wong-Tam said she asked Mr. Ford’s staff yesterday why he was holding the item. She didn’t get an answer.

“I anticipate that he’s going to stand up, probably make some homophobic comments, as he’s made, and probably vote against it,” she said

World Pride, a 10-day global festival, held in Toronto for the first time this year culminated in a mass LBGTQ wedding at Casa Loma. Mr. Ford, who was away in rehab, did not attend.

In an interview with CBC upon his return on June 30, he blamed his long record of homophobic, racist and sexist remarks on his addiction. “I think that goes along with having this disease,” he said. “It’s a chronic medical condition that I’ve never understood.”

Ms. Wong-Tam rejected that excuse Wednesday. “I think he’s lying,” she said. “I don’t become a racist just because I’m drunk. You either are racist, you either are homophobic, you either are misogynistic and that’s your core values.”

Mr. Ford’s staff did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

Rob Ford remains seated as rest of city council gives standing ovation to Pride staffers

Locutus
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Mr. Ford appeared to be the only one on city council not to join in the standing ovation.

derp

mentalfloss
+1
Tomorrow morning:

Locutus
u still mad?

eh1eh
+3
Actions speak louder than words.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+1
maybe the poor b*stard just couldn't stand up

(insert your own reason...be creative)

eh1eh
+5
#7  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

maybe the poor b*stard just couldn't stand up

(insert your own reason...be creative)

He had a semi from all that gay talk.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

repression can be dangerous *shrug*

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Is standing during an ovation an official function?

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Is standing during an ovation an official function?

meh, they're flexible if you're fat and drunk or have forgotten where you are due to black out

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Meh, look at the guy, I doubt anyone would have noticed it.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2

On Tuesday, he used a procedural measure to delay a council motion asking city staff to explore the possibility of creating dedicated shelter beds for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer/questioning and two-spirited youth.

WTF? Why is this needed? Anybody in need should be able to get a bed.

skookumchuck
Free Thinker
Normal for this joint, if you are not qeer or do not love them you are zero.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
Good for him. Man of convictions that just will not toe the PC line. This whole gay pride thing is getting out of hand anyway. City staff should have real jobs to do looking after taxpaters interests.

DaSleeper
+1
If the supreme court can refuse to stand for the President......

Alito mouths quotnot truequot as Obama criticizes Sup Ct for opening floodgates to special interests - YouTube

And even refuse to attend........ Four Supreme Court Justices Skip State Of The Union Address (external - login to view)

What makes the Pride parade so special?

Locutus
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

What makes the Pride parade so special?

uppity pc peer pressure

if you're not with us you're...well,...we'll get back to you about that but it's 'bad'...but we know you're not one of us

Walter
+1
Robbie ain't no hypocrite. Did Wilt Chamberlain get a standing ovation for bedding 20,000 broads? Why do the homosexuals need special recognition?

DaSleeper
+3
If at a concert, and I don't particularly like a band, even if everybody else gives a standing ovation, I stay sitting.....
But then....I'm not a hypocrite.....

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+2

Ms. Wong-Tam rejected that excuse Wednesday. “I think he’s lying,” she said. “I don’t become a racist just because I’m drunk. You either are racist, you either are homophobic, you either are misogynistic and that’s your core values.”

Mr. Ford’s staff did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

Can a guy not dislike homosexuality without being labelled homophobic? Homophobic means being afraid of them.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
can't ya just feel the love?

DaSleeper
I do I do, especially the love of the media for ole Robbie......

Sal
No Party Affiliation

I was thinkin' more in here... love is in the air baby... but it doesn't matter as long as you can feel the love.

mentalfloss
Alec Baldwin creating TV show with ‘Rob Ford character’: report (external - login to view)

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1

He's been generating sales. Of course they love him....

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

He's been generating sales. Of course they love him....

but not as much as LCBO loves him

that's some kind fan base right there

Locutus
+2

Alec Baldwin creating TV show with ‘Rob Ford character’: report (external - login to view)

but anyywayyyy...hey, I stand at a church wedding, funeral or such because I generally respect those the big todoo is all about...in Rob Ford's case, he doesn't approve of the gays...get over the hurt.

mentalfloss
Snark.

The pleasant curmudgeon!

JamesBondo
I am not hydrophobic or bigutted.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

but anyywayyyy...hey, I stand at a church wedding, funeral or such because I generally respect those the big todoo is all about...in Rob Ford's case, he doesn't approve of the gays...get over the hurt.

I think old Pierre Trudeau had one thing right during his tenure and that was that Gov't. had no right in the "bedrooms of the nation", but he didn't say to bring the sh*t out on to the street. -

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Good for him. Man of convictions that just will not toe the PC line. This whole gay pride thing is getting out of hand anyway. City staff should have real jobs to do looking after taxpaters interests.

A man of conviction? You are hilarious. He spoke of deporting gangsters yet he buys and smokes crack with them. Is that one of your convictions?

no new posts