Ford apologizes for robocalls in Coun. Ainslie’s Scarborough ward

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Mayor Rob Ford put an end to hours of debate at city hall on Wednesday by apologizing for robocalls made to residents in Coun. Paul Ainslie’s ward last fall.

“I want to apologize to Coun. Ainslie for informing his constituents through a robocall that he voted against subways. I apologize,” Ford said.

Ainslie accepted the apology and council voted to receive Integrity Commissioner Janet Leiper’s report — which found the mayor had violated council’s code of conduct with his actions — and then moved on.

In her report, Leiper said the mayor should apologize to Ainslie in writing and in council. However, Coun. Shelley Carroll upped the ante and suggested the mayor send a robocall apology.

Click here to read the agenda item. Click here to watch the CityNews live stream of the meeting.

The apology came following a raucous exchange in council chambers.

After a few councillors had their say on the issue, Coun. Doug Ford stood up and accused council and Carroll of being hypocrites.

“We will be in front of the integrity commissioner every day, as you Coun. Carroll stand on your bully pulpit every day and say reckless inaccuracies,” Coun. Ford said.

Speaker Frances Nunziata asked him to “refrain from those comments” and apologize. He refused, saying what he said was “accurate.”

Although Coun. Ford’s microphone was turned off, he continued, at which point Nunziata repeatedly asked him to apologize or leave the council chambers.

“I’m not doing it … until hell freezes over,” he said.

Nunziata told Ford once again to retract his comments and apologize.

“I don’t know if you don’t understand English. I said I am not retracting,” he told her.

“But you’re not listening to me,” Nunziata shouted. “Now be quiet.”

Coun. Ford then retracted his comments.

Mayor Ford does not react to World Pride recognition

Before city council started Wednesday morning’s session, city manager Joe Pennachetti and Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly recognized the staff and volunteers involved with WorldPride, which was held in Toronto on June 20-29.

As councillors gave a standing ovation, Mayor Ford was seen sitting in his seat.

Fair media access

On Wednesday afternoon, council voted 38 to 3 in favour of a motion for all accredited members of the press to be allowed to attend news conferences held on city property. The mayor and councillors Mike Del Grande and John Parker were the three opposing votes.

John Parker @johnparker26 Follow
To those wondering about MM54.13: I have a general aversion to building up an inventory of little rules aimed at mandating good behaviour.
3:11 PM - 9 Jul 2014 Toronto, Canada

Coun. Paula Fletcher’s motion was in response to the mayor’s decision to exclude some media outlets from his first news conference after rehab.

Click here to read the item.

Heated debate at council over Mayor Ford's code of conduct violation | CityNews