Tony Clement wants to eliminate bankable sick days for public servants

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
good

Treasury Board Minister Tony Clement says changes he has in mind for changing sick leave policy for public servants would tackle shortcomings with the outdated current setup such as addressing long term health issues like mental illness.

Clement said he’s proposing a format that would include five to seven sick days a year, a short term disability leave of a week to six months and long term leave for more than six months. The changes would also eliminate bankable sick days, he said.

Speaking at a provincial Progressive Conservative conference in Nova Scotia, Clement said the proposed changes are fair and would do more to address things like mental illness than the current system does.

“(The) 40-year-old sick leave system we have now really does not appropriately highlight some of the other factors that are now acknowledged, like mental health issues… whereas 40 years ago they might have been stigmatized,” said Clement in an interview, adding that mental illness currently accounts for nearly half of all sick leave.

more

Tony Clement wants to eliminate bankable sick days for public servants in effort to fix outdated policy | National Post

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
About damn time. Nobody should have bankable sick days.

I can't wait to see the arguments against it though.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
About damn time. Nobody should have bankable sick days.

I can't wait to see the arguments against it though.
yup...and then a payout (with our money) if they don't use them...:roll:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
There's a sense of entitlement that seems to come with being a public servant.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yeah, not to bash just on civil servants (although sometimes it's tempting ;)) but just the notion that anyone would get bankable sick days is pretty ridiculous. It's like getting your life insurance paid out to you if you live. Kind of not the point of it.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
A sense of entitlement is written into our contracts and you can come and take it from my cold, dead, tax-funded manicure hands.

You may want to write to Tony Clement about that...

Yeah, not to bash just on civil servants (although sometimes it's tempting ;)) but just the notion that anyone would get bankable sick days is pretty ridiculous. It's like getting your life insurance paid out to you if you live. Kind of not the point of it.

I agree.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
pull a ronnie reagan and fire the self-entitled pricks. :lol:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
...and this from a guy who siphoned off G8 funds earmarked for Huntsville for gazebos in Parry Sound

Oh, I haven't forgotten about that either.

Doesn't mean he's in the wrong on this though.

A sense of entitlement is written into our contracts and you can come and take it from my cold, dead, tax-funded manicure hands.

Noted.

To do: bring a crowbar.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

There has been abuse, how much I do not know. But approaching retirement, find the right Dr, I am depressed, sketch it out.
Boom take sick leave.
And yes it has been done.
Most public companies have 5 -7 days or so per year, no carry over, and have STD and LTD.
Each of which is paid at a lower rate and non taxable. Reason why 70 % is the normal rate paid on STD-LTD.
Rare to see 80 % but a few companies have that. You pay more for it though.

Toronto Union Employees had it. Gone now under Ford if I recall correctly???
Abused up the ring piece.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Noted.

To do: bring a crowbar.

You're gonna need to fill out Form 343-12.1, in triplicate, which is an application to apply for a meeting with the deputy administrative assistant to the parliamentary secretary's secondary auxiliary at large (interim). Once your application is processed during the minimum 6 - 8 months (+/- 3 months) waiting period (no less than 25 months) and the benefits small council local 23981 has approved your crowbar as a WCB-approved standard leveraging device, you may then apply to pry my benefits from my cold dead hands.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You're gonna need to fill out Form 343-12.1, in triplicate, which is an application to apply for a meeting with the deputy administrative assistant to the parliamentary secretary's secondary auxiliary at large (interim). Once your application is processed during the minimum 6 - 8 months (+/- 3 months) waiting period (no less than 25 months) and the benefits small council local 23981 has approved your crowbar as a WCB-approved standard leveraging device, you may then apply to pry my benefits from my cold dead hands.
be careful what you wish for...just saying:lol:

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
The mean spiritedness of this government rears it's ugly head once again!

As someone who has never worked for anyone I tend to think there should be a number of jobs that are just that which is being attacked here.

Life sucks for the working class, at least some can enjoy a job for life and lax sick days rules. And what ever else they can grind out for themselves.
Jealousy and the haters might not think so, and they have every right to show themselves for this hatred and animosity to who exactly? Working class heroes trying to stave off what the big boys toss at them in the guise of corporate fiscal values.

I'm also a supporter of Unions and hardcore union antics that get workers more and more power.

why not eh! this whole let them eat cake routine is for the haters.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The mean spiritedness of this government rears it's ugly head once again!

As someone who has never worked for anyone I tend to think there should be a number of jobs that are just that which is being attacked here.

Life sucks for the working class, at least some can enjoy a job for life and lax sick days rules. And what ever else they can grind out for themselves.
Jealousy and the haters might not think so, and they have every right to show themselves for this hatred and animosity to who exactly? Working class heroes trying to stave off what the big boys toss at them in the guise of corporate fiscal values.

I'm also a supporter of Unions and hardcore union antics that get workers more and more power.

why not eh! this whole let them eat cake routine is for the haters.

I had not thought about it this way. Sometimes one can not see all the sides and nuances.