Marijuana Superstar to campaign for Trudeau

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Marijuana activist Marc Emery vows to campaign for Justin Trudeau — as soon as he gets out of U.S. jail

VANCOUVER — The Liberals may be leery of the idea, but when marijuana activist Marc Emery ends his four-year U.S. prison term on Wednesday, he has vowed an all-out, cross-Canada campaign to rally votes for Liberal leader Justin Trudeau.

“The star power we could bring to the campaign alongside Trudeau, that’s powerful in an election when nothing else seems to get out the vote,” said Jodie Emery, recently returned from her last visit with her husband at Yazoo City Federal Prison in Mississippi.

“We won’t get a chance like this again,” she said.

Recently, Ms. Emery submitted her name to run as the Liberal candidate in Vancouver East, the riding represented for the past 17 years by the NDP’s Libby Davies.

“I got asked by the members of the riding association if I would want to run, I thought about it, and I joined the party only about a month ago,” she said.

As yet, Ms. Emery has yet to submit official papers for the nomination, and her candidacy would still need to be vetted by a local “Green Light committee.”

“I’m sure they’re looking up all my old videos and photos, and you can’t hide those big bong hit photos from the old days,” she said.

On Wednesday, Mr. Emery, 56, will end his 1,590-day U.S. prison sentence for drug distribution, although he expects he will not be deported across the Detroit-Windsor border until mid-August.

From then until the October 2015 federal election, the self-styled “Prince of Pot” has said he intends to appear at public events across the country imploring supporters to vote for the Liberal party.

Speaking by phone, Mr. Emery acknowledged it “might make Mr. Trudeau a bit nervous,” but added, “I have to make good use of my reputation in the cannabis culture, and no job is more important than defeating prohibitionist regimes.”

Marijuana activist Marc Emery vows to campaign for Justin Trudeau — as soon as he gets out of U.S. jail

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
marc who?

I mean...

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Pot should be legal. In fact it should never have been illegal. But I am not sure this will be a good idea to base a run for PM on. Mostly itwill just take fotes from other left parties and have little effect on the center.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
a prince riding a pony...bring it on the next Harper majority!

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Dean Skoreyko ‏@bcbluecon

CBC's @markgollom also omitted Marc Emery calling Trudeau a "fukking hypocrite" on video http://youtu.be/GOQqXOIwulw

Dean Skoreyko ‏@bcbluecon

CBC's @markgollom story on Marc Emery and Trudeau leaves impression Emery retracted weed smoking claim - wrong pic.twitter.com/ClRD8eDbHA

*rubs hands*

Lol, ya think? "Marc Emery, the 'prince of pot,' may be a liability for the Liberals" http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/marc-emery-the-prince-of-pot-may-be-a-liability-for-the-liberals-1.2701645 …

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
This is fantastic news... JT continues his downward spiral.

Say, does anyone know if Marc's Parole Officer will be hitting the campaign trail along with him?

You have this flamboyant flavour to your posts.

It's like you're channeling Joan Rivers or Richard Simmons.

Are you Sue Ann Levy?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
'Cannabis queen’ Jodie Emery files to run for federal Liberals in Vancouver East

Jodie Emery, the wife of notorious marijuana activist Marc Emery, officially filed her nomination papers Monday to run for the Liberals in Vancouver East — a move widely thought to put wind in Conservatives’ sails as they attack leader Justin Trudeau for pushing marijuana legalization too hard.

Ms. Emery said she has never met or spoken with Mr. Trudeau, but members of the Vancouver East Federal Liberal Riding Association encouraged her to seek the nomination. Still, she understands why he would be nervous as the Conservatives try to connect his support for legalization with the slippery slope leading to the corruption of children.

‘Cannabis queen’ Jodie Emery files to run for federal Liberals in Vancouver East | National Post