Alberta to drop 'Wild Rose Country' from licence plates

Locutus

Albertans will get to vote on a new design for provincial licence plates, but keeping the slogan "Wild Rose Country" is not an option.
An online poll is open until Aug. 18 so Albertans can pick between the three options.

The "Wild Rose Country" slogan at the bottom of the plate has been replaced with the province's website address.

The new plates will also have "a reflective coating that makes the plate easier to see under low light conditions and easier for infrared equipment to read," provincial officials said.

The plate will be available in the spring of 2015. It will cost an extra $5 to "help cover the costs of production and implementation."

Wildrose MLA Rob Anderson has suggested on Twitter that the province is dropping the slogan because of the association with his party.

Alberta to drop 'Wild Rose Country' from licence plates - Calgary - CBC News

darkbeaver
Republican
hahahahahahahahahah

petros
I like the AAA - 0000 plate.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+2
I vote that we change from Alberta: Wildrose Country to: Alberta: Kickin' As$ and Takin' Names

SLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

I vote that we change from Alberta: Wildrose Country to: Alberta: Kickin' As$ and Takin' Names

Oh, you should pick the bubble gum/kick as$ one. That would be cool on a license plate. Also, on border signs, it might keep out the rift raft.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Ah'm all fer keeping out the riff raff ('ceptin' me a-course)... Ah'm a gonna haves to git me some uh dat gum

JamesBondo
+2
That is retarded. People can find a website address without plastering in on everyone's license plates.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondoView Post

That is retarded. People can find a website address without plastering in on everyone's license plates.

You sure about that?

Canadian Content Forums -

Locutus
More on the license plate imbroglio:

“I don’t think you can have a licence plate that has the name of one of the political parties on it ... what if it said NDP?”
- Jim Prentice.

Lukaszuk likes Wild Rose slogan on Alberta plates
Hmm. What about this?

The Alberta Party - Together, we can make Alberta better!

Whatever you think of Prentice, apparently he didn't think when he said that.

I'm going to start a political party using my license plate number as its name. We'll see how long before the government seizes my license plate because it contains the name of a political party. *

Reader Tips - Small Dead Animals

Locutus
+3
#10  Top Rated Post

Spade
Free Thinker
+1
Personally, I do not think mountains are truly representative of Alberta. There are no mountains to be seen near Fort Mac, Vermilion, or Oyen. But, ducks can be seen throughout the province, from the oily lakes of the boreal forests to the pot-hole sloughs of the dusty prairie. There are over thirty species native to the province. So, let's put ducks in flight on the Alberta licence plate with the caption "Alberta, Really Ducky!"

Think of the possibilities...
Drivers of souped-up halftons can flaunt this new-found machismo by painting "Duck Off!"on their tailgates just above the plates.
Flag vendors at corner vacant lots can make more profit by selling wood ducks painted on black velvet.
Criticism of Big Oil can be mocked by saying "Who cares! That's water off a duck's back!"
Golfers could be encouraged to yell "Duck!"
The cosmopolitan nature of the province can be promoted in Asian restaurants by featuring "Alberta's Peeking Duck".

I think this is just ducky.
Last edited by Spade; 2 weeks ago at 01:30 PM..

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
I think it likely does have a visual link to the political party but wild rose as a
political entity did not intend to have the plates reflect their name anymore
than the reform party when it accidentally changed it name to CRAP some
years ago.
Remember the short lived Canadian Reform Alliance Party? They made
their headquarters Calgary and the Herald had a huge headline
CRAP is Coming
These things do happen and Wild Rose will be around for a while and slowly
make its exit like Social Credit and United Farmers and a host of others
The west is famous for it in the meantime the Alberta Government has been
advertising the name Wild Rose long enough

coldstream
+1
It's a pretty name. What are they going to replace it with. Tar Pit Country.. ugh.

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+2
Gopherland still uses 10,000 lakes as its slogan:

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Personally, I do not think mountains are truly representative of Alberta. There are no mountains to be seen near Fort Mac, Vermilion, or Oyen. But, ducks can be seen throughout the province, from the oily lakes of the boreal forests to the pot-hole sloughs of the dusty prairie. There are over thirty species native to the province. So, let's put ducks in flight on the Alberta licence plate with the caption "Alberta, Really Ducky!"

Think of the possibilities...
Drivers of souped-up halftons can flaunt this new-found machismo by painting "Duck Off!"on their tailgates just above the plates.
Flag vendors at corner vacant lots can make more profit by selling wood ducks painted on black velvet.
Criticism of Big Oil can be mocked by saying "Who cares! That's water off a duck's back!"
Golfers could be encouraged to yell "Duck!"
The cosmopolitan nature of the province can be promoted in Asian restaurants by featuring "Alberta's Peeking Duck".

I think this is just ducky.

You forgot the south eastern mountains. Hell you can see mountains in Montana from SK even more from the mountains in SW SK and SE AB

Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

Gopherland still uses 10,000 lakes as its slogan:

And 1 fish....

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+1
~ and one fish ~

Yep - the legendary eelpout:

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

You forgot the south eastern mountains. Hell you can see mountains in Montana from SK even more from the mountains in SW SK and SE AB

Mountains? Hills.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Mountains? Hills.

Mile high.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Mile high.

That's not the vertical. Already most of that at the base of the hills I imagine. The prairies are not at sea level -- not even close.

Quote:

The hills are not true mountains but are rather the remnants of erosion of a Tertiaryplateau of sediment formed during the initial uplift of the Rocky Mountains. This uplift caused the plain above which the hills now rise to be elevated, with the result that rivers flowing to the north and south eroded most of the softer sediments onto the lower part of the Great Plains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cypress_Hills_(Canada)

petros
4567 ft. above sea level.

Toro
Now it will be "Our hockey teams suck."

JamesBondo
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

~ and one fish ~

Yep - the legendary eelpout:

looks more like a coddinglingus

petros
Burbot.

tay
+1
[quote]

How does a government botch something as simple as changing your provincial license plate?

Apparently, it’s a lot easier than it seems, because our moribund PC government has done exactly that.

First, we have the designs. Mountains and wheat, iconic images of Alberta, right? Sure. But mountains figure prominently on Colorado’s plates, too. But that’s the least of the problems. The designs are, at best, mediocre.

Then there’s the slogan, or more accurately, the lack of slogan. For decades, we’ve had Wild Rose Country, which is nice if a little dull. But the government decided to get rid of Wild Rose Country in favour of the much more lyrical and evocative “alberta.ca”. Yep, a website. The government apparently thinks that non-Albertans would have to be directed to a website to find out more about the province, because people today can’t figure out how to access this new fangled Internet thingy, and need to have the website spelled out. It’s clearly just coincidence that the Wild Rose slogan is identical to the name of the opposition party that is on track to dethrone the PCs. Yes, coincidence.

It turns out the plate designs come from an AMERICAN firm. And not just any AMERICAN firm, but 3M, q multi-national monster. A government spokesman said the decision to use an American firm was a cost saving decision, but that’s simply beyond credibility. How many design firms are there in Alberta? Dozens? Hundreds? There’s not a single one of them that wouldn’t jump at the opportunity to design something that will adorn every single motor vehicle in Alberta.

At least one firm has. CBC Edmonton reported on an Edmonton firm, Graphos, that quickly designed a plate that is far superior to the slapdash 3M version. And better yet, it incorporated the mountains into the plate in the same way the NWT plate uses the polar bear, making a plate in the shape of the mountains. Simple, and brilliant.

So how could this have been handled better? It’s so simple: announce a contest open to design firms in Alberta to create a new plate. To ensure real applications and not just a flood of haphazard designs, add a submission fee for each design, say $100 or something.

Once the submissions are in, convene a panel of design experts to pick the three top designs, then offer it up to the public. Winning design gets a cash prize.

This method would have engaged the Alberta creative community, and got the public involved. But instead, we have a bureaucratic snafu that makes no one happy.

In This Corner | How the PCs bungled the license plate design contest.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Exactly who is Maurice Tougas and what the fukk do I care about his opinion?

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Exactly who is Maurice Tougas and what the fukk do I care about his opinion?

WOW!

Somebodies had to much coffee.

I've never heard of him myself either but I thought it interesting that the Oilberta gov went to an American company to design a Canadian Lic Plate.

And indeed, a rather boring design............

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
It's a license plate bud, not a Picasso.

Honestly, you gotta have a massive hole in your life to get all in a twist fretting over the design of a license plate

Nuggler
ontario
2 broke
2 care
aaaéooo

(note the francyphonaise)

MHz
I would prefer a barcode (front, back and roof) and the numbers be linked to a phone message place as part of the 'getting a plate in the first place' process. Whatever, I like Tiger lilies better anyway but I don't need them on the car to remember that. As long as the LCD's in the plateholder mess up the speed camera it could be whatever they want. If they type it in and suddenly they hear what is being said in the vehicle then that is a tool, it is a toy when the public is doing the same thing to the squad cars. (having the engine codes is a bit alarming)

Mountains? Hills.

God forgot to give those places a horizon.

In the vanity plate section I assume 'Alberta' is already taken. How about 'Wild Rose'?

Chev
No Party Affiliation

Mountains? Hills.

"Mountains? Hills." ?? That's what Ontario has... 'molehills' that they call mountains..