Alberta to drop 'Wild Rose Country' from licence plates

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Albertans will get to vote on a new design for provincial licence plates, but keeping the slogan "Wild Rose Country" is not an option.
An online poll is open until Aug. 18 so Albertans can pick between the three options.

The "Wild Rose Country" slogan at the bottom of the plate has been replaced with the province's website address.

The new plates will also have "a reflective coating that makes the plate easier to see under low light conditions and easier for infrared equipment to read," provincial officials said.

The plate will be available in the spring of 2015. It will cost an extra $5 to "help cover the costs of production and implementation."

Wildrose MLA Rob Anderson has suggested on Twitter that the province is dropping the slogan because of the association with his party.

Alberta to drop 'Wild Rose Country' from licence plates - Calgary - CBC News

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
That is retarded. People can find a website address without plastering in on everyone's license plates.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
More on the license plate imbroglio:

“I don’t think you can have a licence plate that has the name of one of the political parties on it ... what if it said NDP?”
- Jim Prentice.

Lukaszuk likes Wild Rose slogan on Alberta plates
Hmm. What about this?

The Alberta Party - Together, we can make Alberta better!

Whatever you think of Prentice, apparently he didn't think when he said that.

I'm going to start a political party using my license plate number as its name. We'll see how long before the government seizes my license plate because it contains the name of a political party. *

Reader Tips - Small Dead Animals

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Personally, I do not think mountains are truly representative of Alberta. There are no mountains to be seen near Fort Mac, Vermilion, or Oyen. But, ducks can be seen throughout the province, from the oily lakes of the boreal forests to the pot-hole sloughs of the dusty prairie. There are over thirty species native to the province. So, let's put ducks in flight on the Alberta licence plate with the caption "Alberta, Really Ducky!"

Think of the possibilities...
Drivers of souped-up halftons can flaunt this new-found machismo by painting "Duck Off!"on their tailgates just above the plates.
Flag vendors at corner vacant lots can make more profit by selling wood ducks painted on black velvet.
Criticism of Big Oil can be mocked by saying "Who cares! That's water off a duck's back!"
Golfers could be encouraged to yell "Duck!"
The cosmopolitan nature of the province can be promoted in Asian restaurants by featuring "Alberta's Peeking Duck".

I think this is just ducky.

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think it likely does have a visual link to the political party but wild rose as a
political entity did not intend to have the plates reflect their name anymore
than the reform party when it accidentally changed it name to CRAP some
years ago.
Remember the short lived Canadian Reform Alliance Party? They made
their headquarters Calgary and the Herald had a huge headline
CRAP is Coming
These things do happen and Wild Rose will be around for a while and slowly
make its exit like Social Credit and United Farmers and a host of others
The west is famous for it in the meantime the Alberta Government has been
advertising the name Wild Rose long enough

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Personally, I do not think mountains are truly representative of Alberta. There are no mountains to be seen near Fort Mac, Vermilion, or Oyen. But, ducks can be seen throughout the province, from the oily lakes of the boreal forests to the pot-hole sloughs of the dusty prairie. There are over thirty species native to the province. So, let's put ducks in flight on the Alberta licence plate with the caption "Alberta, Really Ducky!"

Think of the possibilities...
Drivers of souped-up halftons can flaunt this new-found machismo by painting "Duck Off!"on their tailgates just above the plates.
Flag vendors at corner vacant lots can make more profit by selling wood ducks painted on black velvet.
Criticism of Big Oil can be mocked by saying "Who cares! That's water off a duck's back!"
Golfers could be encouraged to yell "Duck!"
The cosmopolitan nature of the province can be promoted in Asian restaurants by featuring "Alberta's Peeking Duck".

I think this is just ducky.

You forgot the south eastern mountains. Hell you can see mountains in Montana from SK even more from the mountains in SW SK and SE AB

Gopherland still uses 10,000 lakes as its slogan:

And 1 fish....

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Mile high.

That's not the vertical. Already most of that at the base of the hills I imagine. The prairies are not at sea level -- not even close.

The hills are not true mountains but are rather the remnants of erosion of a Tertiary plateau of sediment formed during the initial uplift of the Rocky Mountains. This uplift caused the plain above which the hills now rise to be elevated, with the result that rivers flowing to the north and south eroded most of the softer sediments onto the lower part of the Great Plains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cypress_Hills_(Canada)