Doug Ford’s ‘jihad’ comments spark Muslim backlash

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Idiot.

After sparking controversy over his use of the word “jihad” on two separate occasions this week, Councillor Doug Ford is facing more backlash, this time from the Muslim community.

“The kind of inflammatory and highly offensive language used by Councillor Doug Ford is reprehensible and only serves to further demonize Canadian Muslims,” Ihsaan Gardee, executive director of the National Council of Canadian Muslims, said in a news release Friday.

On Wednesday, Ford told CityNews reporter Cynthia Mulligan that she was engaging in a “jihadist attack.” Mulligan had just interviewed Ford and was reporting on the return of his brother, Mayor Rob Ford, to his re-election campaign after a stay in rehab, and the public’s response to his first day campaigning.

In an unrelated event in May, Ford had said an Etobicoke home for teens with autism “ruined the community” in Ward 2, which he represents. He also suggested that its young residents were criminals, prompting a complaint to the city’s integrity commissioner from the father of an autistic son.

After learning of the integrity complaint, Doug Ford told the Toronto Sun, “He can go to hell, I don’t even care” and “This is not normal in democracy … It is a full-out jihad against us right now.”

Ford apologized to Mulligan and Don Peat, the Toronto Sun reporter he spoke to, in a Friday interview with Mulligan. “I’ll apologize to you, absolutely, 100 per cent,” Ford said. “And Don. But maybe I’ll choose a different word next time.”

Ford admitted the term was “not as appropriate as I should have said.”

Gardee said Ford’s choice of words sent the wrong message to his constituents. “No elected or public official should misuse terms like ‘jihad’ that are already widely misunderstood and which further promote stereotypes about Canadian Muslims being a ‘fifth column’ in society that cannot be trusted,” he said in the statement.

Doug Ford is currently serving as the mayor’s campaign manager. The embattled Ford brothers are trying to overcome months of controversy over their behaviour and Rob Ford’s two-month stint in rehab for substance abuse.

The latest poll puts Ford 10 points behind progressive Olivia Chow, and one point behind rival conservative John Tory.

Tory condemned Doug’s words as well. “Using a loaded and inflammatory term like ‘jihad’ to describe legitimate criticism is pathetic and shows that the Fords just don’t get it,” he said Friday.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Really?

You're shifting the focus onto the competition after such a stupid comment?

That is sad.

Nope just showing the bias in the reporting.
Actually jihad is an appropriate term since it means holy war, which is essentually what the extreme left has been waging against the Fords since before they were even elected.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Nope just showing the bias in the reporting.
Actually jihad is an appropriate term since it means holy war, which is essentually what the extreme left has been waging against the Fords since before they were even elected.

Yes, a holy war against their stupidity and complete incompetence, that's it.

Doug and Rob are the real victims here. Those poor souls, my pruned up heart bleeds for them.

Their ignorance, their poor decision skills, their own bad habits - both professional and personal - and their inability to properly explain themselves to the public they serve without offending pretty much everybody but their equally blind fanboys shouldn't be addressed at all. They shouldn't ever be questioned and they should be left alone to do whatever the hell they please, even if it means they don't even do their damn jobs, all at the tax payers expense & get a free ride.

Meanwhile if this was the conduct of any politician outside of the "Far Right", then the "Far Right" would be doing a lot more and be grabbing their guns because they'd think they were losing their "Democracy" and need to defend it from those not doing their job and making a complete mockery out of the system at their tax paying expense.

I wonder how much of the crack and other drugs they bought came from tax payers.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
"Ford admitted the term was “not as appropriate as I should have said.”

................Freakin guy's a total genius ain't he.!

idiot.:roll:

.......................Although the "Mussie Community" and their religion of peace can walk off a cliff. Insulted indeed. Backlash your fishing line.

Just saying Doug and Rob are dorks. Glad they're in Toronto.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
It's not appropriate, except when it's completely appropriate.

I wonder if this douche would have received any criticism if used the word 'crucify' instead.

We could make Tory into Pontious Pilate and Chow could play the Roman whip.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
It's not appropriate, except when it's completely appropriate.

I wonder if this douche would have received any criticism if used the word 'crucify' instead.

We could make Tory into Pontious Pilate and Chow could play the Roman whip.

Interesting concept. So Doug and Rob are just making their own spin off from what Jesus did?

Rather than doing nothing but good and being sacrificed for everybody else's sins, they're doing it in reverse by committing all the sins possible and saving us all by showing the rest of us "What Not to Do" while being able to stay alive and in power to keep on doing what they do.

Yes very interesting concept indeed, one could make it into a movie. Modern Day Saints they are.

It's probably the best approach for those two when you think about it..... As I doubt the two of them combined could lift a wooden cross, let alone drag it two feet without going red in the face, sweating like pigs on a roast and complaining about their left arms tingling.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
yup and on it goes...coming straight out of rehab and into the arena isn't stressful at all...he'll probably just thrive in this environment 8O

what a sham this is