Ready for Justin’s carbon tax?

Locutus
Justin Trudeau is going to bring in a carbon tax. Just like his dad, Pierre Trudeau, did.

His dad called it the National Energy Program, and claimed it was for national sovereignty reasons, or whatever excuse worked with the media of the day.

It's 2014, so the excuse now is "the environment."

Trudeau announced his plans for a carbon tax last year in Calgary - at the Petroleum Club no less. It was a shocking announcement - but not a single other media outlet reported it, except a brief mention on the Globe and Mail's website.

Why would the media ignore Trudeau's speech calling for a carbon tax - a speech that is available on his website to this day? (external - login to view)

Blazing Cat Fur: Ready for Justin’s carbon tax? (external - login to view)

Walter
+1 / -2
Turdoh is a shallow-minded twit, with all due respect.

Praxius
Free Thinker
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
Yes, cuz the Carbon Tax idea worked sooooo well for the Liberals under Dion's brilliant leadership, I'm sure Justin will make it work this time around.

After all, so many years have gone by since that failure that I'm sure most of the country has already forgotten.

Seriously, why bring up his father as an example when there's a more recent and more relevant example looking us right in the face?

Same old Liberal mentality.... Do the same thing you did before and expect a different result because a couple of elections went by and people have short memories (though for some people that's probably true and will work)

#juan
No Party Affiliation
+1
Justin Trudeau is a member of what is, at the moment, a minority party. He is hardly capable of bringing in anything the majority don't want.. This topic reads like an attack ad. with no basis in fact.

Corduroy
We've had a carbon tax in BC for while. It's revenue neutral which means all the money generated from the tax goes to tax cuts for the rich. It doesn't work. In Vancouver it's still cheaper to drive than take public transit, which will barely get you anywhere anyway. No money from the carbon tax goes towards environmental programs. It is a regressive tax to funnel wealth to the upper class.

Praxius
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Justin Trudeau is a member of what is, at the moment, a minority party. He is hardly capable of bringing in anything the majority don't want.. This topic reads like an attack ad. with no basis in fact.

The Liberals were a minority party under Dion too.... Didn't stop them did it? The only difference is that the Liberals were less of a minority then than they are now.

"If" what the OP says is true, then attack ad or not, the Liberals will soon become even more of a minority party.

As for basis in fact, the quotes are right there so either he said these things or he has been misquoted/misrepresented and should be getting those who misquoted him dragged through the mud.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

The Liberals were a minority party under Dion too.... Didn't stop them did it? The only difference is that the Liberals were less of a minority then than they are now.

"If" what the OP says is true, then attack ad or not, the Liberals will soon become even more of a minority party.

I'm not sure who I'm voting for but if you look at the polls, it kind of looks like if an election were held today, the Liberals would likely win. Trudeau must be doing something right.

pgs
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

We've had a carbon tax in BC for while. It's revenue neutral which means all the money generated from the tax goes to tax cuts for the rich. It doesn't work. In Vancouver it's still cheaper to drive than take public transit, which will barely get you anywhere anyway. No money from the carbon tax goes towards environmental programs. It is a regressive tax to funnel wealth to the upper class.

We still have the carbon tax in B.C. I believe it to be 7 cents per liter on gasoline .
And no it is not cheaper to drive then take transit in Vancouver .

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
Then Conservatives don't seem to have much in the re-election stratgey bag except Fear and Loathing. It's worked for them in the past. Doesn't seem to be working this time.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

Then Conservatives don't seem to have much in the re-election stratgey bag except Fear and Loathing. It's worked for them in the past. Doesn't seem to be working this time.

I guess that weathering the global recession and having a strong economy don't count

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

I guess that weathering the global recession and having a strong economy don't count

Well, I think htat would be a good thing for them to focus on. But are they even capable of running a positive campaign under Harper? I doubt it.

Count_Lothian
Trudeau created Petro Canada and developed the tar sands, now called the oil sands lol.
He created oil refineries and had a vision of cheaper energy in the long run for everything Canadiana .
Mulroney sold off Petro Canada to American interest along with America's free trade agreement which we get screwed on all the time.
The oil refineries were shut down, we have more oil yet higher prices than america.

Why are C logo loon boons pandering to these American sell outs? How far down this hole do you want to drag us?

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1

Well, I think htat would be a good thing for them to focus on. But are they even capable of running a positive campaign under Harper? I doubt it.

The campaign hasn't started yet.

The best anti-Trudeau ads will originate from the NDP as they have the most to lose.

Trudeau, on the other hand provides an endless supply of attack material for the other political parties to use... It's rather entertaining to watch baby-t self destruct

#juan
No Party Affiliation

The best anti-Trudeau ads will originate from the NDP as they have the most to lose.

Trudeau, on the other hand provides an endless supply of attack material for the other political parties to use... It's rather entertaining to watch baby-t self destruct

He's self destructing? That is Harper's wet dream. I just watched J. Trudeau in a half hour interview with Peter Mansbridge. Trudeau handled himself very well, but what would we expect....He is intelligent and well educated, he should do well.

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

Yes, cuz the Carbon Tax idea worked sooooo well for the Liberals under Dion's brilliant leadership, I'm sure Justin will make it work this time around.

After all, so many years have gone by since that failure that I'm sure most of the country has already forgotten.

Seriously, why bring up his father as an example when there's a more recent and more relevant example looking us right in the face?

Same old Liberal mentality.... Do the same thing you did before and expect a different result because a couple of elections went by and people have short memories (though for some people that's probably true and will work)

Yeah, and I actually liked Dion, who showed signs of a functioning intellect, a backbone, and a realistic vision of Canada.............

unlike Justin.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+2

He's self destructing? That is Harper's wet dream. I just watched J. Trudeau in a half hour interview with Peter Mansbridge. Trudeau handled himself very well, but what would we expect....He is intelligent and well educated, he should do well.

Admires brutal dictators
Has good chuckle at the expense of Ukranian lives.
More flip-flops than can be counted.
Charging $30k per speech to charities when he should be in Parliament

The list goes on

Like I said, the NDP will be the loudest on the attack front

Colpy
Conservative
+2

He is neither.

His lack of intelligence is obvious from the number of gaffes he has been involved in...........and a B.A. in Literature is no big deal, a BA being the equivalent of a high school diploma 50 years ago..........and the greatest congregation of morons on earth can be found in the faculty of any Education degree program.

If Justin is qualified to be PM, than I am over-qualified, as I have a BA with a double major in History/Political Science (NOT literature) and a 4.0+ GPA.....and I then endured the intense stupidity of an Education degree..........

Corduroy
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Yeah, and I actually liked Dion, who showed signs of a functioning intellect, a backbone, and a realistic vision of Canada.............

unlike Justin.

Conservative Party Memo:

Stephane Dion is free from derision.
Compare to Trudeau.
Call him Justin.

That is all. Hail Satan.

#juan
No Party Affiliation

Admires brutal dictators
Has good chuckle at the expense of Ukranian lives.
More flip-flops than can be counted.
Charging $30k per speech to charities when he should be in Parliament

The list goes on

Like I said, the NDP will be the loudest on the attack front

For God's sake! Surely you are more intelligent than that. You should be able to recognize hyperbole by now.. As far as the speeches are concerned, they knew the cost of the speech going in.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois

For God's sake! Surely you are more intelligent than that. You should be able to recognize hyperbole by now.. As far as the speeches are concerned, they knew the cost of the speech going in.

You know what the electorate is like, they (we) have the attention span of a gnat.

Expect a whole slew of ads that focus on these issues (among others)... The Libs will be doing the same thing, they will take hold of snippets of info and spin a story around them to support their message about Harper, Mulcair, etc.

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

Conservative Party Memo:

Stephane Dion is free from derision.
Compare to Trudeau.
Call him Justin.

That is all. Hail Satan.

Oh Play nice.

Geez.

Kids these days.....

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation

That's the whole problem though--despite the gaffes, the Tories have been unable to get any traction witht he negative campaign. The "Trudeau is a fag" campaign backfired big time and probably lost the Conservatives votes--deservedly so. Attack ads don't work consistently. Disgraced conservatives Mike Duffy and Tom Flanagan have both provided fodder for the oppostion characterizing Harper as spiteful. So now attack ads simply reinforce the growing notion of Harper as vindictive.

The NDP do have the most to lose. And they will likely lose it. Their successful foray into Quebec doesn't seem to have the makings of a permanenet arrangement, in my opinion. But yes, I expect Mulcair will be as vituperative as Harper. We'll see if that works--he may fall victim to the same typecast that Harper has--Angry Tom.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois

That's the whole problem though--despite the gaffes, the Tories have been unable to get any traction witht he negative campaign.

The attack ads have not yet started... Wait until the election is called and then we'll be seeing those ads from all parties

The "Trudeau is a fag" campaign backfired big time and probably lost the Conservatives votes--deservedly so.

Not familiar with that ad compaign

Attack ads don't work consistently.

Agreed, however, it also depends on the nature of the issues (gaffes) that are the potential subject matter for the ad.

All of the Parties have provided ample opportunity in this regard... My opinion is that Trudeau has offered up much more

Disgraced conservatives Mike Duffy and Tom Flanagan have both provided fodder for the oppostion characterizing Harper as spiteful. So now attack ads simply reinforce the growing notion of Harper as vindictive.

The Liberals will likely use this circumstance to their advantage. T*t for tat

The NDP do have the most to lose. And they will likely lose it. Their successful foray into Quebec doesn't seem to have the makings of a permanenet arrangement, in my opinion. But yes, I expect Mulcair will be as vituperative as Harper. We'll see if that works--he may fall victim to the same typecast that Harper has--Angry Tom.

The NDP rise (in my view) was solely a function of reaction against the Liberals.... My guess is that the Libs will regain many of those lost seats.

That said, you can count on Mulcair fighting for his very survival this next go-around and his best bet is by demonizing Trudeau in any and every possible fashion

SLM
No Party Affiliation

The attack ads have not yet started... Wait until the election is called and then we'll be seeing those ads from all parties

I am so looking forward to that, I can't even tell ya!

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation

The attack ads have not yet started... Wait until the election is called and then we'll be seeing those ads from all parties.

Maybe. Maybe not. Trudeau seems to be aiming for a campaign similar to Obama's first presidential run. He's even got a few insiders from that campaign on his team. Everyone said the same thing about Obama--that when the going got nasty, he start the attack ads himself. But he never did. He also mobilized the youth. And again, the orthodox view was that's a waste of time, because young people don't vote. But they did.

Quote:

Not familiar with that ad compaign

Tories reluctant to discuss latest Trudeau attack ads - National | Globalnews.ca (external - login to view)

Trudeau’s masculinity a subtext in Tory attack ads | Toronto Star

Corduroy

The attack ads have not yet started...

Yes they have. Google it.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1

Maybe. Maybe not. Trudeau seems to be aiming for a campaign similar to Obama's first presidential run. He's even got a few insiders from that campaign on his team. Everyone said the same thing about Obama--that when the going got nasty, he start the attack ads himself. But he never did. He also mobilized the youth. And again, the orthodox view was that's a waste of time, because young people don't vote. But they did.

We'll have to wait and see how the various strategies play out.

Trudeau can employ Obama's (successful) strategies however, I'll suggest that there are enough differences that he will see different results in the election (possibly better, possibly worse).

My view is that Trudeau's potential success will come at the expense of the NDP moreso than carving seats from the Conservatives... That said, the Libs simply need to have a strong focus on Quebec and they will grow immediately.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by corduroyView Post

we've had a carbon tax in bc for while. It's revenue neutral which means all the money generated from the tax goes to tax cuts for the rich. It doesn't work. In vancouver it's still cheaper to drive than take public transit, which will barely get you anywhere anyway. No money from the carbon tax goes towards environmental programs. It is a regressive tax to funnel wealth to the upper class.

roflmfao

Count_Lothian
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

unlike Justin.

You have no idea why he was elected as party leader.
You know nothing about Canadian politics you mean little Conservative ant of a human being.
The Liberals have one rule , An English leader then a French one.
They knew before the time of the leadership election who was going to be leader.
They always do ,moron.

When they know they won't win in the federal election they usually toss in someone in aid of the inner partisanship campaign to please the voting delegates and party faithful.

It's all just a play moron.

the Liberal Genius is above anything you can dream of.

coldstream
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Justin Trudeau is going to bring in a carbon tax. Just like his dad, Pierre Trudeau, did.

His dad called it the National Energy Program, and claimed it was for national sovereignty reasons, or whatever excuse worked with the media of the day.

It's 2014, so the excuse now is "the environment."

Trudeau announced his plans for a carbon tax last year in Calgary - at the Petroleum Club no less. It was a shocking announcement - but not a single other media outlet reported it, except a brief mention on the Globe and Mail's website.

The National Energy Program was NOT a Carbon Tax. It was attempt to bring in Federal public ownership and regulation of the key economic and energy input of Oil.. and bring it under the sphere of a National industrial strategy.

It was ill conceived at from the start, and aimed at control of retailing of oil.. rather than nationalization of natural resource and that of primary processing. The way most enlightened Oil producing countries have gone.

It was derailed by that pathetic little Provincial Potentate, Peter Lougheed who threatened to let the East 'Freeze in the Dark'. And the program was dismantled when Mulroney took power.. much to the distress of Canadian industry and consumers.. and much to the enrichment of the American Oil Industry and their running dogs and shills like Lougheed.

Everybody know Justin is a damn Fool. A chip off the Old Block, Margaret not Pierre. He is clueless, weak, in thrall of political fads what ever they may be.. AGW, homosexual legitimazion, euthenasia, Free Trade.. whatever.. He's got NO intellectual or philosophical centre whatsoever.. just a lot of wishy washy sentiment. And he'll NEVER be Prime Minister.
Last edited by coldstream; Jul 3rd, 2014 at 01:07 PM..