Hudak or Ignatieff: Who was the bigger loser?

View Poll Results: The Biggest Loser
Ignatieff 4 44.44%
Hudak 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

mentalfloss

What say you?

IdRatherBeSkiing
Iggy was. He was expected to win going into his election. I don't think anybody really believed Hudak could or would win the last one (some of us hoped but never really believed).

mentalfloss
+1
Hudak couldn't have been given an easier target though.

It shoulda been a landslide victory for the Cons.

Locutus

Goober
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Hudak couldn't have been given an easier target though.

It shoulda been a landslide victory for the Cons.

Appears the Voters liked the lies from W.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
Wynne had a great gimmick in admitting the gasplants were a mistake. Gave her an air of kinder honesty than Mister Pixiedust and his honest threat to attack the public sector.

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+1
Hudak was the loser here, he spoke up about the civil service layoffs and the people
are already pissed in Ontario about the Fed jobs lost and a 100 thousand that would
have had a major negative impact on the economy He was a fool likely took the same
how to be a politician course as Rob Ford

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Appears the Voters liked the lies from W.

100 000 jobs.

Goober
Free Thinker

100 000 jobs.

Did I state that was a smart move as it was not.
Now K will have her fluff budget, but wait for next years budget.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Yup.

Even with McDalton's record they still couldn't pull it off.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#11  Top Rated Post
King Iggy was going to be the great intellectual prime minister of Canada. He had a lead and the election sewn up. He chose the time to defeat Harper with a nice lead in the polls. It was his to lose ... and he did not only losing but finishing 3rd with 19% of the popular vote ... only 10 or so % ahead of the green party. That is a definition of a loser if I ever saw one.

Angstrom
Liberal
Stéphane Dion. His picture shows up next to loser in the Webster dictionary.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
Not sure when it comes to votes in Ontario but Ignatieff had several other jobs to fall back on. Could teach, do journalism, continue writing all without any problem. Hudak doesn't have quite as many options.

Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

Stéphane Dion. His picture shows up next to loser in the Webster dictionary.

Yet he is still an MP. I wonder how he felt election night 2011 when he survived and Ignatieff didn't.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
Iggy.... Hudak only lost Ontario - and it's a lost cause anyhow. Iggy lost a whole nation

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

King Iggy was going to be the great intellectual prime minister of Canada. He had a lead and the election sewn up.

Like the PCs both in 2011 and this year.

Iggy was. He was expected to win going into his election.

Who expected that? I knew he'd lose the 2011 election soon as it was called. I didn't think he would lose as badly as he did but I knew the Cons would be returned the only question was whether it'd be with a minority or majority.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

Who expected that? I knew he'd lose the 2011 election soon as it was called. I didn't think he would lose as badly as he did but I knew the Cons would be returned the only question was whether it'd be with a minority or majority.

Perhaps I listened to a CBC report or something at the time.

Walter
Iggy was so ashamed he left the country.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Iggy was so ashamed he left the country.

He only came here to be anointed as King. When that failed he went back home.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

L
Who expected that?

I think Iggy expected it. There was always a smugness about the man. Can't really say that about Hudak, he seems more 'deer in the headlights'.

As to who is the biggest loser, it's too close to call. Ignatieff just did not resonate with anyone, evidenced I think by how hard they had to work to try and make him appear as a 'regular guy', to make him seem more like someone the public could related to. Didn't take.

Hudak on the other hand, still rather fresh off a loss that shouldn't have been a loss, opens a campaign with a negative lead in....job cuts. Didn't really matter that it was public sector jobs he was proposing to cut, in my opinion, it still left a negative first impression.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
I would vote. For anyone that promised to cut the fat in government.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

I would vote. For anyone that promised to cut the fat in government.

A lot of people would. And had that been the approach, he may have gotten a lot farther.

It's just my opinion but I think the optics of the campaign were JOB CUTS in the public sector. '100,000 Jobs Cut' were the first four words/terms in the banner headlines. Presented to a public that has seen a great deal of job losses over the past decade. Not what you want to open with.

You can call it semantics if you want to, I see it as optics, and the PC Party in Ontario played them poorly. Once again, they lost the election, I do not believe the Liberals won the election despite that being the end result.

mentalfloss

King Iggy was going to be the great intellectual prime minister of Canada. He had a lead and the election sewn up. He chose the time to defeat Harper with a nice lead in the polls. It was his to lose ... and he did not only losing but finishing 3rd with 19% of the popular vote ... only 10 or so % ahead of the green party. That is a definition of a loser if I ever saw one.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

The Liberals were no where near a lead before the election or even two years prior.

All we heard about was sponsorship scandal, much like Hudak's failed attempt with gas plants.

Sal
No Party Affiliation

What say you?

I'd say once you've lost you're all equal. But Hudak didn't lose, he gave it away.

mentalfloss
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

I'd say once you've lost you're all equal. But Hudak didn't lose, he gave it away.

You're right.

He won by getting to resign.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+1

You're right.

He won by getting to resign.

so did we

Spade
Free Thinker
Wynne, Wynne!

Sal
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Wynne, Wynne!

lol we lost, lost lost...

tay
Ignatieff's return to Canada turned out to be a very bad idea -- both for him and for the Liberal Party. Andrew Cohen writes (external - login to view) in The Ottawa Citizen:

If he had wanted out three years ago, who could blame him? And now that he is leaving, who can blame him? What is there left for him in Conservative Canada except tears, taunts, cries and laments?

His political sabbatical was a disaster. He led the Liberals to the worst defeat in their history – worse than 1958, worse than 1984 – becoming the third party in Parliament, unprecedented in their long history.

Under Ignatieff, the party went from official opposition to prospective oblivion. If the Liberals run third again in the next election, behind the New Democrats, there will be pressure from progressives to merge with the NDP, as there was in 2011. And that will be the end of the Liberal Party of Canada.

When the Liberals convinced Ignatieff to return, they were repeating the same strategy they used when they convinced Mackenzie King -- comfortably ensconced in the United States and working for the Rockefellers -- to return and save the country form Robert Borden and Arther Meighen.

But, unlike King, Ignatieff had been away too long. He had lost his feel for the country. Moreover, King was a consummate politician. Ignatieff was a teacher.

An end to Ignatieff’s Canadian adventure | Ottawa Citizen (external - login to view)