National Post: Trudeau's success driven by Harper/Mulcair's Failure

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Sounds like a familiar story, doesn't it?

Michael Den Tandt: Trudeau’s success not driven by his celebrity — but by Harper and Mulcair’s mistakes

Even before the Harper government gave its tacit, much-hedged, timorously voiced approval for the Northern Gateway pipeline project, it was clear that debates about energy and resource extraction would define the 2015 federal election. This has been years in the making.

But here’s what’s truly odd: Given the long lead time, you’d think all three major federal parties would have thought their positions through, quite carefully. Yet both the Conservatives and New Democrats have made big strategic miscalculations on the resource file, the net effect of which has been to greatly reinforce the Liberals’ position.

More surprising still, the Tories and Dippers continue to compound these mistakes, even as the result — a solidifying Liberal lead in the polls — becomes more clear. Justin Trudeau’s success is being driven, not by his celebrity or winning smile or even his ground game, but by his opponents’ mistakes.

Let’s begin first with principles. It’s a foregone conclusion now that the Harper government has bungled its single most important economic task, that of securing U.S. and Pacific market access for Canadian crude oil. This was the linchpin of the great extractivist imperative, first articulated in the 2012 budget. It’s now 2014 and we’re no closer to a safe, permanent remedy for the Alberta bitumen bubble. It’s ironic: For years the Harper Tories have been accused by their detractors of being lackeys of Big Oil. As lackeys, they’ve been less than efficient.

TransCanada’s proposed Keystone XL pipeline, according to all logic, local and State Department environmental reviews, should have been green-lighted months ago. Geopolitics — first the Ukraine crisis, now the catastrophic implosion of the unitary state of Iraq — offers an increasingly unassailable argument in favour of shoring up North American energy security. Yet the project is in purgatory, because of a “climatist” checkmate weighing on the Democratic party from within its own ranks.

Climate change, it’s one of the defining issues of our time

Granted, U.S. President Barack Obama has been inept here. It’s fair to blame him for letting this decision rot on the vine, while the anti-oilsands lobby gathered strength. But rule one of Canada-U.S. relations has long been that the Canadian side, led by the prime minister, must employ skill and guile in ensuring this country’s interests are served, rather than seeking to move the White House by blunt pressure.

Very simply: In order to counter the protectionist and frankly jingoistic anti-Keystone pressure being applied to the Obama administration by billionaire Democrat Tom Steyer, among others, the Harper government would have to have imposed carbon-emission restrictions on Canada’s oil and gas sector, either solo or in partnership with the Obama administration. The government would have to have enthusiastically embraced sustainable development, and then trumpeted that shift. Former federal minister and soon-to-be Progressive Conservative Alberta Premier Jim Prentice has long recommended a similar posture. Former prime minister Brian Mulroney pointedly did the same in April. Instead, the Tories have played spitball politics.

Tom Mulcair’s New Democrats, for their part, are locked into an anti-Keystone dialectic that only reinforces the party’s traditional weaknesses. Campaigning in the current byelection campaign in Trinity-Spadina in Toronto, NDP candidate Joe Cressy has had great fun skewering Liberal candidate Adam Vaughan, well-known as an environmentalist, with the Liberal party’s backing of Keystone XL. Apparently forgotten, just as it was in last November’s byelection race in Toronto Centre, which the NDP lost, is the message this sends the rest of the country.

“Climate change, it’s one of the defining issues of our time,” Cressy told the CBC recently. Um, OK. But since the NDP advocates shipping bitumen east, its policy is climate-neutral, relative to those of the Liberal and Tories, just as Keystone itself has been found to be climate-neutral by the State Department, and for the same basic reason. Changing the means of shipment does not mean less fuel gets burnt. The NDP’s rhetoric is structurally weak. It can, however, persuade swing voters the Orange team has it in for business and doesn’t understand the most basic rules of economics. Perhaps that’s why Mulcair’s party is languishing in the teens in popular support, despite Mulcair’s strong performances in the House of Commons.

All of which leads us back to the Liberals: They oppose the Northern Gateway project, because it lacks local community support and because its proposed route envisions sending hundreds of oil tankers down the narrow and pristine Douglas Channel, in B.C. But they support Keystone, because it has passed every local environmental and national governmental hurdle, and because of its strategic importance to Canada’s economy.

On a symbolic level, that bifurcation bridges the gap between Tories and New Democrats. It makes the Liberals look like grown-ups, and the other two parties implicitly like ideological outriders. And it places the Grits squarely in the sweet spot of Canadian politics, which is the pragmatic centre, heading into the 2015 election. Under such circumstances, is it any wonder Trudeau continues to hold his lead, despite pratfalls and weeks of bad press over the abortion debate? Well, no. Not really. It’s not Teflon, keeping the Liberals whole. It’s strategy.

Michael Den Tandt: Trudeau’s success not driven by his celebrity — but by Harper and Mulcair’s mistakes

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
What success are we talking about? Gaining control of a loser party that other losers couldn't maintain? -:)

Have you not heard of the changes in fund raising? I'd grant you a bit of cred for scoffing at opinion polls, only marginally. But you can't argue against the changes in fund raising support. Taken together they both point toward electoral gains. He's had his gaffes too, but he's a politician. They all make em. The next year should see plenty of them.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Have you not heard of the changes in fund raising? I'd grant you a bit of cred for scoffing at opinion polls, only marginally. But you can't argue against the changes in fund raising support. Taken together they both point toward electoral gains. He's had his gaffes too, but he's a politician. They all make em. The next year should see plenty of them.

His "gaffes" reveal who he really is; an admirer of murderous communist dictatorship (just like Daddy), a man with a taste for autocratic rule (just like Daddy), a two-faced liar (just like Daddy), with absolutely no respect for his MPs (just like Daddy), and lacking anything remotely resembling a functioning intellect (just like Mommy)

I would vote for Mulcair LONG before I would vote for Trudeau.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
His "gaffes" reveal who he really is; an admirer of murderous communist dictatorship (just like Daddy), a man with a taste for autocratic rule (just like Daddy), a two-faced liar (just like Daddy), with absolutely no respect for his MPs (just like Daddy), and lacking anything remotely resembling a functioning intellect (just like Mommy)

All gaffes reveal who the politician really is. I'll let someone else play the 'yeah, but' game with you. I find it boring.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
What success? The party is still in third place. Next year maybe things will change but so far he doesn't seem to be doing all that well. Granted the other two aren't either.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

You can't.

You can only vote for your MP canidate and should only vote for the MP canidate that represents your riding the best regardless of the party.

It's a disservice to yourself and your community to vote by party.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It seems like most politicians can owe their popularity to the popularity or unpopularity of their predecessors. The last ten years have proven that. No one has had the upper hand because voters didn't like anyone. Stephen Harper came to power because the Liberals were so unpopular. But he was so unpopular himself that voters took nearly a decade to decide which turd stunk the least. After years we finally gave up said "well the Liberals aren't turning it around. Let's give that ******* a majority." And the NDP are so unpopular that it took just as long for people to realize they might be an alternative. And in Quebec they experimented with being unrepresented entirely before they begrudgingly turned to Jack Layton.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I wouldn't trust either of them, not that I particularly trust Harper but he has proven some measure of capability.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There are criticisms about politicians I feel are valid until we get into the He's a communist
or a nazi or what ever those I have a decline in credibility for.
To some measure the article is factual these two are not failures so much as both Harper
and Mulcair lack Vision, The other problem is the little amount of vision they do have they
can't sell to the public
Trudeau stands a good chance of winning and he is not Harper two reasons people will vote
for him

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
There are criticisms about politicians I feel are valid until we get into the He's a communist
To some measure the article is factual these two are not failures so much as both Harper
and Mulcair lack Vision, The other problem is the little amount of vision they do have they
can't sell to the public
Trudeau stands a good chance of winning and he is not Harper two reasons people will vote
for him
We don't need vision . Mulrooney and Trudeau senior both had visions and look where they got us .
We need stewardship .

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
can't sell to the public
for him

I think you'll find Junior is just a "flash in the pan", that look of youth can mesmerize people just like Daddy looked refreshing compared to Dief, Pearson and Louis. Right now Junior is just idling in neutral, the real test will be when he's loaded up and in gear. I doubt if he has the genes for too much stress!

Last edited:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Plenty of people have pointed out other pieces of Paul Wells' interview (link is external) with Justin Trudeau. But one exchange seems particularly telling in defining Trudeau's perception of leadership and politics:

Q: What do you have to get done when Parliament comes back?

A: Continue to do what we’re doing, which is build the team, build the plan. Draw in great, credible candidates from across the country and put together a set of solutions and policies that are going to give this country a better government.

Q: So the campaign’s already begun?

A: I think the way politics is done these days—certainly, if you look at the attack ads that started the day after I won the leadership—yeah, the campaign started a long time ago.In other words...

Faced with a direct and simple question, Trudeau can't name a single thing he wants to accomplish in Parliament, whether in terms of policies which can be pursued now or areas where the Cons should be held to account. Instead, when asked specifically about the fall session of Parliament, his answer is that he intends to keep ignoring how Canada is actually being governed today in order to work exclusively on next year's election campaign.

And Trudeau also doesn't have any interest in changing the absolute worst practices the Cons have inflicted on Canadian politics. Instead, somebody supposedly pitching a transformation from Harper's modus operandi is nonetheless fully prepared to allow him to dictate "how politics is done these days" - and match him in treating politics as a game where the only question is who wins the prize of holding government power.

All of which seems to confirm that Trudeau is offering no difference at all from Harper's contempt for democratic institutions, nor his cynical and self-serving view of the role of leaders. And we'd best recognize how Trudeau plans to offer more of the same with a red backdrop before anybody falls into the trap of handing him power based on the promise of change.

The Interview: Justin Trudeau's game plan

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
If Harper's biggest failure is failure to secure a market for our crude oil, then I wonder if the left will love him?

It seems a bit hypocritical for someone opposed to the pipelines, to flip flop on the pipeline issue just so they have something to blame Harper for. An rational voter should pick a side and stay consistant.